Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Using BoilerMaker G2 kettles on our setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, London Pride, Weizen, Citra DIPA, Dubbel, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Kolsch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blichmann New Kettles Have Heating Element Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
BeerMaverick wrote:
Has anyone tried building with these yet?

The G2s? Many have. I've been pictures of them posted on this forum. I may have added some to the testimonials page too.

Quote:
Not sure when Blichmann came out with these (or if they've been addressed already in the forum somewhere), but these kettles appear to have the heating elements already installed (boil coil).

They don't come pre-installed. It's an option you can purchase separately.

Quote:
Can this directly substitute the heating elements and installation procedures described on the electric brewery website? Wondering if it would get in the way of the herms coil.

They can most certainly work if you stick to the right size and heed some of the issues like the HERMS coil getting in the way.
Here's a thread about it:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27318

Here are my thoughts on the boil coil:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=305899#305899

TLDR: I wouldn't use them myself. If I had to build again I'd use the same heating elements I did before.

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
shakenbake

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: question on replacing the g2 linear valves Reply with quote

I got the G2 kettles and am replacing the linear valves with 2 piece ball valves and had a question. Should I use teflon tape on the NPT fitting (from the existing Blichmann G2 kettle)? It seems like I should put tape on the threads but when I removed the linear ball valve it did not have any tape on it, and it was not part of the instructions on replacing the linear flow valve, so wasn't sure if I there was something that I missed.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, London Pride, Weizen, Citra DIPA, Dubbel, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape is not required as the oring makes the seal. Good luck!

Kal

shakenbake

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: question on replacing the g2 linear valves Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Thanks for the reply, but I am still a little confused. In the replacement instructions the washer and o-ring are added to inside wall of the kettle. We reuse the blichman NPT fitting which goes through the kettle wall and the threads are exposed on the outside of the kettle wall. Then the ball valve directly attaches to those NPT fitting threads. Seems like the o-ring seals the inside kettel wall to the NPT fitting that goes through the kettle. Seems like I should be adding tape to the threads on the outside of the kettle wall that screws directly into the ball valve. I'm a newby trying to learn this stuff, so excuse me if I am not getting something.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape is not required on the outside (Blichmann doesn't use any on the outside with their stock kettles both G1 and G2), but if you feel it is required there's likely no harm in adding some. Good luck!

Kal

dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of changing out the linear valve with a standard 3 piece ball valve. However, I can't find the recommended o ring that is listed on the website. It s currently unavailable on Amazon. Does any one have an idea of where to find the correct oring? I saw this on great fermentations website. http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/boilermaker-bulkhead-retainer/blichmann-replacement-parts/?a=ebrew Does this look right?
Gameface

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dward4421 wrote:
I am in the process of changing out the linear valve with a standard 3 piece ball valve. However, I can't find the recommended o ring that is listed on the website. It s currently unavailable on Amazon. Does any one have an idea of where to find the correct oring? I saw this on great fermentations website. http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/boilermaker-bulkhead-retainer/blichmann-replacement-parts/?a=ebrew Does this look right?

Probably too late to be of any help to you, but yes, that does look like the part you would need.
Burjo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else done this and had issues with losing suction when the liquid gets to the fitting on the inside of the kettle?

Mine will drain fine till it hits the top of the nut and then loose suction and stop draining. I'm using a Hop stopper as well but it still happens even with the standard dip tube so that shouldnt be the issue.

I havent put it back to the linear yet to confirm it works then and have ordered another ball valve to be ready for that happening but wanted to put it out here to check if anyone else had issues?

Cheers,
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

I'm going to order the 20 Gal G2s (using your affiliate links of course!). There seems to be a lot you can order with the G2, including some custom cutouts. Would you recommend purchasing any of these add-ons?

Thanks,
Mike
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mike,

No, as the holes are not in the right places or the right sizes in most cases. Good luck and thanks for supporting our site by using our links - itís appreciated!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: