Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Advice for a very slow lager ferm

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkiCub

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Advice for a very slow lager ferm Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I brewed a 10 gal split batch of Cream Ale and Standard Lager on 7/13. OG was 1.044 and target final is 1.006. I pitched 2 packs of Wyeast 1056 American Ale into first 5 gal at about 70F and now, 4 days later, is cranking along happily at 1.010. It's young but tasty. Next, I pitched 4 packs of Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager into second 5 gal and stuck in the fridge held at 50F. Gravity hasn't budged at all, still at 1.044. Thinking it needed a kick start, I brought it to 68F and shook the carboy for about 1 min and checked 12 hours later and still no movement. Not sure if I should get a couple more packs and re-pitch the lager. Or is this typical of this yeast and should I just put it back to 53F and check it again in a week?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers! Mug [url][/url]
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lagers can take 2-3 days before there's any sign of movement and then takes a long time to ferment out, typically 2-3 times longer than an ale done around room temp. How long between when you pitched the Wyeast 2007 and measured to see that the gravity is still 1.044?

Are you compensating for temperature when you take you gravity readings? Most hydrometers are calibrated for taking readings at 60F or 68F (check yours). If yours is calibrated to 60F, reading 1.044 at 70F is actually 1.045, and if you read 1.044 at 50F, it's actually 1.043.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
SkiCub

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Yes, from your recipe I was anticipating some lag but after reading about some folks giving the yeast a little kick in the butt by pitching and letting it sit at room temp for a day or so before moving it to long term, cold ferm temps, made me wonder if I didn't give it adequate time to start. Also, forgot to mention that the 4 Pilsen lager pack barely swelled at all even after activating the nutrient pack and letting sit at room temp for several hours. Bad batch maybe but seems unlikely that all 4 packs would be toast.

It was 4 days from pitching to gravity check and still at 1.044. Yes, I calibrated my hydrometer and always bring my samples to 60F before taking a reading.

Stumped and stuck! Should I pitch a couple more packs?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No harm in doing so... sounds like the yeast may not have been very viable.

Kal

SkiCub

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: Thinking I had some dead yeast on my hands I picked up a couple more vials of lager yeast. You can guess what I saw when I got home, ready to pitch; The lager is now taking off after being at 70F for 2 days. That's all it took. Now back into the kegerator. Lesson learned: give it a chance to get started before easing down the temp.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now start planing your next lager with the yest you just bought. Mug
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkiCub wrote:
Lesson learned: give it a chance to get started before easing down the temp.

Actually I (and many others) recommend not doing that: Pitch at or slightly below the lagering temp - it results in a cleaner beer. Reason is that most of the off-taste "things" that yeast produces is at the start of fermentation.

Kal

SkiCub

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal et al for the help and great advice! I'll stick with your plan and make sure I start with good, healthy yeast and keep it cool. I hope this little spike doesn't affect the flavor too much.

Cheers!
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A starter could help you with this too in the future. 4 packs of yeast makes this 5 gallon batch pretty expensive - if you make a starter you can usually buy fewer packages of yeast to build up the cell count to proper pitching amounts and it also has the added benefit of letting you know that the yeast is viable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: