Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Phenol off flavors

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Phenol off flavors Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone ran into problems with the off flavor of phenols. I have had a problem two of my last four beers. The taste is unmistakable and does not fade with aging. I used two different types of yeast and one was and IPL and the other an IPA.

The taste is like smoke and hits the mid tongue. I would consider both beers nearly undrinkable.

I can not see the culprit at first glance, possibilities include:
-rogue yeast
-not acidifying my sparge water enough and oversparging
-chlorine in water (my water source has not changes in 47 batches and I use RO water only)
-keeping starsan around for too long in spray bottles

Does anyone else have experience with this and have other ideas to offer.

Thanks in advance
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of your theories, I like the rogue yeast one. I would think oversparging would give astringency, not smokey phenols. Chlorine? That gives bad flavors, but they are more medicinal in nature. I have no idea about starsan, but am slightly skeptical.

What about the fermentation temperature or pitching rate? These would go along with the rogue yeast idea.

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some nice cards to look at possible causes and solutions. Page 22 may help

http://www.bjcp.org/doc/OffFlavorFlash.pdf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted to adress each of the solutions last night so we shall see how it goes. Very frustrating to have this creep into a beer and not know why. You can taste it by the time fermentation is complete.
Thanks for feedback
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: