Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Problems with heating elements and their lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkroberts13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Problems with heating elements and their lights Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am having a couple problems with my heating elements and their lights. First off, before plugging my heating elements into the receptacles if I turn the switch the light turns on but is very dim. I have attached a picture of the HLT element light on, but as you will see it is very dim compared to the green pump light. The yellow heating element light is 220v, I have double checked this already. Furthermore, if I then plug the heating element into the receptacle the light will no longer light up at all and the heating element does not heat up. I have attached a picture of the 3 way selector switch as well as where the wires from it go to. Lastly, I have noticed that the SSRs that I have are a little different than the ones used by Kal. I have attached a picture of the SSR, is this one alright to use or could it be part of the problem?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Image files were too big to attach, so here's an imgur link to them. http://imgur.com/a/stsdb

Last edited by jkroberts13 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with heating elements and their lights Reply with quote

Hi!

jkroberts13 wrote:
I am having a couple problems with my heating elements and their lights. First off, before plugging my heating elements into the receptacles if I turn the switch the light turns on but is very dim.

This is normal. Take a look at our troubleshooting tips for complete details: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25460

Quote:
Furthermore, if I then plug the heating element into the receptacle the light will no longer light up at all and the heating element does not heat up. I have attached a picture of the 3 way selector switch as well as where the wires from it go to. Lastly, I have noticed that the SSRs that I have are a little different than the ones used by Kal. I have attached a picture of the SSR, is this one alright to use or could it be part of the problem?

Take a look at the same troubleshooting thread for how to work through step by step where the issue is. Specifically the section called "My heating element is not firing at all! (or firing continuously)".

As for the SSR, I'm assuming you're building a standard 30A panel. You want to make sure whatever SSR you use adheres to the specs here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/40-amp-SSR-12VDC-input-voltage-240VAC-output-voltage

Yours appears to have the right specs just based on what's written on the outside, but be aware that there are known issues with fake FOTEK SSRs (the brand you used). The issue seems to be smaller (lower current) versions of their units being re-labelled as higher current. Ie: a 20A SSR labelled as 40A or similar. End result is a lot of failures/melting units as they're being run outside their regular spec. Not the case here of course as I'm understanding that you can't get yours to fire at all but I thought I'd point it out. If you search around on the 'net a bit I believe there are people that have documented how to tell the fakes from real. Go through the troubleshooting step by step I linked to above before considering replacing it. It's mostly likely a wiring issue, or a PID usage/configuration issue.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had Fotek issues and disassembled one that had failed and sure enough it had underrated TRIACs in it. Some dishonest person somewhere is relabelling them to make an extra buck. UL has a page on them here: http://www.ul.com/newsroom/publicnotices/ul-warns-of-solid-state-relay-with-counterfeit-ul-recognition-mark-release-13pn-52/

The label on yours looks legit though so that may not be the problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: