Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

New Zealand IPA

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: New Zealand IPA Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/new-zealand-ipa

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:42 pm; edited 29 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome, can't wait to try this. I love those tropical aroma hops!

How long does it take on your system to raise the temp of the mash from 152 to 168?

I don't have your 5500W element installed yet, so I haven't seen what this kind of power can do. The rise takes forever with my 3500W induction. There's about 10 gallons of water in my HLT btw. I'm finding I need to add additional boiling water to the HLT to get the temp to rise fast enough to do the job. I'm considering upgrading my electrical supply to 40A so I can run both the 3500W induction with the 5500W coil. Any issues you can think of that might develop using induction on a kettle with an embedded coil?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcraig wrote:
How long does it take on your system to raise the temp of the mash from 152 to 168?

About 15 mins or so (using a 5500W element and brewing ~10 gallons).
Rise time depends on batch size and amount of heat (watts) you're using.

See the FAQ question "How long does it take to heat with electricity?" for complete details.

Link: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/FAQ#How_long_does_it_take_to_heat_with_electricity_

Quote:
Any issues you can think of that might develop using induction on a kettle with an embedded coil?

Not off the top of my head.

Kal

drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed this today, can't wait to try it.

This is my first batch using the 5500W element in combination with 1500 watts from my induction burner. The temp for 10 gallons in the HLT would rise 10 degrees in 2 minutes! I only have full power on and off control at this point, but I'm working on a version of your controller to run everything. Custom powdered in reflective amber!
dunnry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was perusing this recipe I noticed the following in italics:

*First wort hops are added to the boil kettle while you're sparging (before the wort is boiled). For IBU calculations, first wort hopping is said to be similar to a 20 minute addition.

I was at the AHA conference this year in Michigan and listened to a lecture on FWH and Mash Hopping. Interestingly enough, this advice turns out to be pretty wrong - both tastewise, as well as actual measured IBU-wise. The speaker had some pretty convincing data from an actual lab (he worked at Founder's IIRC). Turns out:

1. FWH IBUs can be measured to be 110% of a 60 min addition. The majority of blind tasters also found it to be the most bitter. Separately, 5/6 testers choosing it as most hop character. These testers worked at Founders and were professional tasters.

2. Mash hops were measured at 35% of a 60 min addition. They were found to be the least bitter by large margin. However, there was a large discrepancy over most/least hop aroma using this technique.

Other fun facts - the speaker uses an electric HERMS system much like ours (sounded like clone). The calculated vs actual IBUs were off by quite a bit. In the first instance, the recipe was aiming for 34 calculated IBUs, and was measured by lab to be only 19.6 in the control batch (no FWH or Mash hops). The second batch was aiming for 68 IBUs calculated and only hit 31.2 IBUs when measured by actual lab. Crazy. Our calculations on IBUs might be way off with reality anyway. I had always heard that a FWH was equivalent to a 90 min addition, but that perceived bitterness would be smoother. That might be closer to truth, but it was telling that blind tasters could tell the difference pretty well.

If you are an AHA member, you can download the audio and presentation on the site here - it's worth your time (unlike some of the seminars):

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info - thanks for posting!

Hop usage/IBUs/flavours/aromas are highly debated topics. The science behind how it all works is actually not that well understood so even commercial brewers simply do what works for them.

Kal

dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this one yesterday. Can't wait to taste it.

I do have a question about hops quantities: I'm using Brewer's friend and they don't give me the same IBU rate, even when I use the exact recipe.

My 3 hops doesn't have the same A.A. % than yours, maybe it's the reason.

So I'm wondering if I should modify the hops amounts to reach the original recipe IBU?

Or stick with the original amount and get (in my case) an higher IBU?

thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlemyre wrote:
I brewed this one yesterday. Can't wait to taste it.

I do have a question about hops quantities: I'm using Brewer's friend and they don't give me the same IBU rate, even when I use the exact recipe.

Hops will all have different AA%, from one hop type, to even the same hop type grown year to year or region to region. You should enter that in your brewing software to see what the resultant IBU will be as IBU is directly related to AA%.

Quote:
So I'm wondering if I should modify the hops amounts to reach the original recipe IBU?

Yes and no.

IBU is directly related to AA%, and IBU comes from the amount of contact time at higher temps (mostly boiling but you can still get a surprising amount of bitterness [IBU] out of steeping at high temps after boiling).

What many (most?) brewers do (and what I do) is modify the amount of hops added for any bittering hops, but not for flavour/aroma hops.

What does that mean? It means you need to alter the amount of hops only for hops boiled more than (say) 20-30 minutes. In this case I'd alter the 60 min hops but not the others. Anything boil for 20 mins or less (including dry hops) I never alter the amounts.

Quote:
Or stick with the original amount and get (in my case) an higher IBU?

If you want a higher IBU, then sure. Wink Really depends on what you're after. If you want to mimic this recipe and brew what I did, I would only alter the 60 min hops. The others are not boiled long (10 mins or less) so I wouldn't bother changing the amounts. You'll never notice the difference given the small changes needed to the amounts.

It's never an exacting science either. If the math shows that you need 6.87 oz of something I'll simply round it up to 7 oz for sake of convenience. Pro brewers who brew 100+ bbl batches do this all the time... "How many 50-55 lb sacks of grain do I need.... how many 200 lb bales of hops do I need... etc.".

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, your informations are really appreciated.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing this on Sunday - using a bit of Calypso as well.

JonyMac

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
whistledown

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been brewing on and off for the past 40 yrs and just got back into all grain (3vessel) brewing. I brewed 40 litres of NZIPA and I have to say it is the best beer I have ever made, great recipe. Most of the 40 litres has gone but I have another batch is currently in the fermentor. Hopefully my techniques are good enough to replicate the first batch. Next one will be the Munich Helles. Looking forward to it. Thanks Kal for the great website and recipes.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you’re enjoying the recipe whistledown! Welcome to the forum!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/new-zealand-ipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

AMeal988

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Dry Hop Timing Reply with quote

I just brewed the New Zealand IPA last weekend and it's smelling delicious! I checked on it ~4 days post-brew day and the gravity had already reached 1.010 points, so basically terminal. I'm adding my dry hops now vs. what the recipe calls out (5 points from terminal gravity).

I've very little experience with dry hopping - what are the effects of dry hopping before hitting terminal gravity vs. after? I.e. how does timing effect the final beer?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dry Hop Timing Reply with quote

Quote:
I've very little experience with dry hopping - what are the effects of dry hopping before hitting terminal gravity vs. after? I.e. how does timing effect the final beer?

Hops are added near the very end of fermentation instead of after so that you can go quick from fermenter to packaging and save a few days. There will likely be very little difference in the finished product though some used to argue that adding hops during any fermentation may strip some aroma. Some say that the yeast will also soak up or hold back some of the hop oils so you may be better waiting until fermentation is 100% done, and then racking and adding hops. Try it different ways and see which if you prefer one over the other or even notice a difference. Different beers may react differently depending on the ingredients/hops/yeast/etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: