Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
Home ]   [ Products ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ What's New ]   [ About / Contact  ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Dry Irish Stout
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, English IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter, Saison

Working on: Kölsch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Dry Irish Stout Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Guinness is by far the most famous example of the Dry Irish Stout style of beer

Dry Stout is a very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale. The most famous example being Guinness which is an Irish variety that was the main inspiration for our recipe. This is a sharp (not to be mistaken with harsh), dry beer with a bittersweet coffee/chocolate finish.

Many who have never tried the style make the mistake of assuming it's a heavy beer based on the appearance alone. A Dry Irish Stout is in fact a light-bodied beer. The dryness coupled with the low levels of alcohol and carbonation make it an easy beer to drink by the pint.

The dry roasted character comes from the highly kilned roasted barley and moderately high levels of bitterness, while the flaked barley provides the slick/creamy mouthfeel.

Roasted Barley (500L):

Thomas Fawcett & Son's flaked barley from England:

While not required for a Dry Irish Stout, a true Guinness will use a small percentage (rumoured to be 3%) of soured beer for a slightly sour twang. If you do want to try this, the following options are available:

(1) After primary fermentation, put 3% (2.4 cups per 5 gallons) of the beer into a separate jug and pitch bacteria meant for producing sour beers such as Wyeast 5335 Lactobacillus or White Labs WLP677 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii. This will develop the sourness, but can take time (sometimes months). You can also simply leave the 3% of beer out on the counter and let it go sour for a few weeks from whatever bacteria it picks up in the air. (Make sure to boil for 10 minutes before adding back in). This natural method of souring is likely what Guinness used to do traditionally. A similar option that some may find easier is to purchase commercial Guinness a few weeks ahead of the brew day, sour it by leaving it out in a bowl, and then freeze it. Thaw it the night before brew day and add to the boil 10 minutes from the end.

(2) A simpler solution is to add 88% lactic acid to the beer after fermentation is done, before kegging. This is said to be what Guinness does today because it's cheaper, easier, and more efficient than relying on bacteria. All is takes is around 3-4 ml per 5 gallon keg. Go sparingly adding 0.5 ml at a time until the taste is to your liking. You can also use this method to do a trial run to see if you like the results: Once the beer is kegged and on tap, add 1-2 drops with an eye dropper to a 16 oz glass of beer and see what you think. 1 drop per 16 oz is equivalent to 2 ml in 5 gallons. Careful not to overdo it!

(3) The last option is to replace 3% of the base malt (the Maris Otter and Barley Flakes) with acidulated (sour) malt.

Now all this said, don't think that you have to choose one of these three options. I typically do not and while that slight 'twang' is missing I still love the resulting beer. If I feel I need it, a single drop of 88% lactic acid (option 2) in a pint glass before you pour is the simplest way and doesn't affect the entire batch.

Hints for brewing this beer:

The flaked barley does not need to be milled as it has already been rolled flat and toasted. Add it to the mash as is.

While you can mill the roasted barley in your normal grain mill, to get the best colour and flavour use a good quality burr (not blade) coffee grinder to get an extremely fine grind, almost like dust. The newest addition to my brewery is a Gaggia burr grinder:

Grind the roasted barley fine (I use a setting of 10) and add it after the 90 minute mash rest is complete. This avoids lowering the mash pH too far and reduces the chance of astringency which can occur from over-steeping highly roasted grains. Once the 90 minute mash is over, stop the mash pump, add the roasted barley, and give it a good stir to mix it into the existing grain bed. You need to stir well as otherwise the fine layer of powdery roasted barley on top may stop the flow. Start the mash pump again and continue with your mashout. The wort will be cloudy again but it will clear as the grain bed rises to mashout temperature over 20-30 minutes.

Try and use the recommended White Labs WLP004 or Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeasts. While something like Fermentis Safale US-05 (American Ale / Chico) yeast can be substituted and works well, it's just not the same as it's a bit too clean fermenting and lacks some of the complexity.

This beer is best served on a stout faucet pushed by 30/70 CO2/Nitrogen blend (called 'beer gas') to get a nice creamy head and close to flat beer, exactly how Guinness is served on tap. One cheap and inexpensive way to (sort of) mimic this is to use a syringe. Pour the beer as you would normally and then suck up a syringe full and force it back into the beer, hard. Repeat 2-3 times and you'll knock most of the C02 out of solution leaving a nearly flat beer with a creamy head. Not quite the same texture, but it gets you part ways there. I tried this for years before I finally added real CO2/Nitrogen serving setup.

I brewed it for the first time on December 1, 2013.

Brew up a batch and let me know how you like it!

Interested in seeing what we're brewing right now? Follow our Instagram feed for pictures and videos of our brewing activities as they happen.

Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Dry Irish Stout (batch #165)

Size: 12.0 US gal (post-boil)
Mash Efficiency: 95%
Attenuation: 74.0%
Calories: 145 kcal per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.044 (style range: 1.036 - 1.050)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (style range: 1.007 - 1.011)
Color: 26.7 (style range: 25.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 4.2% (style range: 4.0% - 5.0%)
Bitterness: 40 (style range: 30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
12.0 lb British Maris Otter (Pale Ale) Malt (69.6%)
3.5 lb Flaked Barley (20.3%)
1.75 lb Roasted Barley (500L) (10.1%)
4.0 oz UK East Kent Goldings Hops (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min [39.9 IBU]
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
4 packs Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale liquid yeast (or an appropriate starter*)
- OR -
4 vials White Labs WLP-004 Irish Ale liquid yeast (or an appropriate starter*)

Notes:
Add 500mg potassium metabisulphite to 20 gallons water to remove chlorine/chloramine (as required).
Water treated with brewing salts to: Ca=51, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=71, S04=71
(Keeping the Cl:S04 ratio even for a balance between malt and bitterness, hitting the minimums on Ca and Mg).
For complete details on how to adjust your water, refer to our step by step Water Adjustments guide.
1.5 qt/lb mash thickness. Single infusion mash at 148F for 90 mins. Mashout to 168F.
60-90 min fly sparge with ~6 pH water. Collect 13.9 gallons in boil kettle.
Boil for 60 minutes. Lid on at flameout, start chilling immediately.
Cool wort to 66F and aerate well. Ferment at 66-68F until complete.
Rack to CO2 purged brite tank (secondary), crash chill to near freezing (if possible), add 1 tsp of unflavoured gelatin dissolved in a cup of hot distilled water per 5 gallons of beer, and let clear for 2-3 days.
See above for recommendations on carbonation/packaging.

*For hints on how to make a starter see Chapter 6 of How to Brew and Appendix A of Brewing Classic Styles. Also see the stirplate/starter equipment I use.

For complete brewing instructions, see our Brew Day: Step by Step guide.

Brew yourself a batch today and let us know how you like it! Enjoy!

Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

SEE OUR OTHER RECIPES »

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:16 pm; edited 19 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal:

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a good stout recipe to make (for friends - I am an AIPA hop head like you) but I feel better making a recipe that has the "Kal Seal of Approval". Out of curiosity, what souring method did you use from above (#1, #2, or #3)? Did this recipe achieve the Guiness Ruby Red tone?

Jerry

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this would have been posted 3 weeks ago. I made a Guinness Draught Clone from Brew Magazine recipe. Very similar, if not, identical to this. Got it on Keg. Wish i had the set-up for Cask Ale, but sadly do not. Looking forward to trying it.

On a side note. I, like many other people, prejudge beer by the look. I never thought I'd like a dark beer, but having brewed many now, I am no longer prejudice! And I'll add that I've been able to educate a few Bud Light people in a similar way!

Thanks Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Hop Candy Jr, Scottish 70/-, English IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter, Saison

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryt wrote:
Out of curiosity, what souring method did you use from above (#1, #2, or #3)?

None of them. I kind of like it the way it is. I did try adding a bit of lactic (1 drop) in a pint glass and don't really find it makes it better. Different, yes, a bit more 'twang' but I find myself perfectly happy without it so I didn't dose the whole keg.

Quote:
Did this recipe achieve the Guiness Ruby Red tone?

I'm not sure what that means.

OkieDokie wrote:
On a side note. I, like many other people, prejudge beer by the look. I never thought I'd like a dark beer, but having brewed many now, I am no longer prejudice!

Yup! It's a much lighter tasting beer than you'd think if you've never tried it. Now, if all someone is used to is Coors Light then it'll certainly taste a lot "stronger". But motor oil it isn't!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jerryt wrote:
Did this recipe achieve the Guiness Ruby Red tone?

I'm not sure what that means.

Kal

Guiness boasts in their description,

" Our traditional craft of roasting barley gives GUINNESS® beer wonderful dark ruby red color (it looks black, but hold your glass up to the light, and you'll see there's a ruby in every glass, as the old saying has it) and its unique roasted character."

Jerry

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried/noticed, but given that roasted barley adds red when used in small volumes, I would assume that yes - that would be the outcome.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryt wrote:
" Our traditional craft of roasting barley gives GUINNESS® beer wonderful dark ruby red color (it looks black, but hold your glass up to the light, and you'll see there's a ruby in every glass, as the old saying has it) and its unique roasted character."

Had a pint of this beer I have on tap now the other day and remembered to shine light through it with my flashlight... and yes! It's actually really dark ruby red in colour. Interesting!

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Centennial IPA, Oktoberfest, Dry Stout...

Working on: Kolsch, Rye IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal -

Is the 500-600L Roasted Barley in this recipe supposed to be malted or unmalted??? Your morebeer link links to malted.... http://morebeer.com/products/black-roasted-barley-malt.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description at MoreBeer does say it's unmalted:

500L Hugh Baird - Unmalted roasted grain, it is the backbone of a Stout. Also a good grain to make red beers with, use 2-3 oz per 5 gallons for a nice red color.

Kal

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The description at MoreBeer does say it's unmalted:

500L Hugh Baird - Unmalted roasted grain, it is the backbone of a Stout. Also a good grain to make red beers with, use 2-3 oz per 5 gallons for a nice red color.

Kal

Yes it does... Thanks for pointing that out... Being in the roasted malts category definitely confuses things.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<sigh>> I guess I'll be trying malted black barley instead of unmalted.... I got the burr grinder and everything; guess I'll just mill the black malt and mash for 90 minutes instead of putting it in afterwards...
Edit: I'm going to proceed by the directions exactly even though I have the black malt instead of the black unmalted barley... Worst case I'll have beer and I'll be able to see what the flavor difference is when I brew this again... Cheers!

Thanks for the recipe and new technique!

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... got a stuck mash. I guess grinding the Black Malt on 10 in my burr grinder was the wrong answer... lol... damn... well I put all the water into the mash tun from the hlt and that didn't help either... looks like this one may not make it to the BK. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up bailing with a pint mug and using my hop spider as a grain filter... Very Happy
This should be interesting... My OG is 1.041 so it's respectable; I'll try again next time. The mash got stuck during the mashout and I wasn't paying attention so I'm not exactly sure how long it took to get stuck but when I checked it the temp running through the mash output was 148 and was just trickling out so I dumped the HLT 168 degree water into the mash tun; that didn't help so I ended up just moving the wort one cup at a time to the boil kettle via the hop spider so a LOT of splashing was going on SO... goodnews is that I finished that batch; bad new is it was one ugly way to get the wort into the boil kettle... cheers!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I'm currently drinking a 'Stuck Mash Stout' and have to say.... despite my stuck mash and unconventional process with this recipe it is extremely tasty! Here's to hopin' that it doesn't get stuck the next time I try... I'm thinking rice hulls may be in order.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this recipe scaled down to 5 gallons last month and am now enjoying it very much. It was my second all grain batch. I'm not brewing electric yet. I force carbed it using a my corny keg carb lid over 48 hours. When I try the syringe trick to get the nice Guiness-like head I just get an overflow. I'm guessing I over-carbed for this to work properly. Still tastes great.
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal -

I'm going to try this one again but am concerned about a stuck mash which happened after I stirred the mash after I added the Roasted Barley that was ground in a coffee grinder. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't stir the mash this time and just add to the top of the mash; seems to me it would be less likely to get stuck if I didn't stir. Thoughts?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, leave the mash alone. Just dump the roasted barley on top and let it do it's thing. It may take several minutes for the color to come out, but it will, eventually. I NEVER stir the mash after the grainbed is set up.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent... thanks for your input Huaco! I'll try it again...

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works on all levels too... I was head brewer on my homebrew club's traveling 3bbl brewery. We were brewing a Robust Porter. After mashing in, we realized our LHBS omitted the roasted barley. I sent a runner to grab it once the shop opened and upon return we had about 20 minutes left in the mash. We tossed it in and it slowly changed what would have been a "Blonde" porter to it's intended "Robust" style! lol. Twas VERY nice too!

Cheers!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mention in the recipe that you need to stir well after adding the roasted barley as otherwise the fine layer of powdery roasted barley on top may stop the flow. (This happened to me). You may certainly try without stirring and see what happens.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: