Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Dry Irish Stout
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Dry Irish Stout Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/dry-irish-stout

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:57 am; edited 30 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal:

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a good stout recipe to make (for friends - I am an AIPA hop head like you) but I feel better making a recipe that has the "Kal Seal of Approval". Out of curiosity, what souring method did you use from above (#1, #2, or #3)? Did this recipe achieve the Guiness Ruby Red tone?

Jerry

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this would have been posted 3 weeks ago. I made a Guinness Draught Clone from Brew Magazine recipe. Very similar, if not, identical to this. Got it on Keg. Wish i had the set-up for Cask Ale, but sadly do not. Looking forward to trying it.

On a side note. I, like many other people, prejudge beer by the look. I never thought I'd like a dark beer, but having brewed many now, I am no longer prejudice! And I'll add that I've been able to educate a few Bud Light people in a similar way!

Thanks Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryt wrote:
Out of curiosity, what souring method did you use from above (#1, #2, or #3)?

None of them. I kind of like it the way it is. I did try adding a bit of lactic (1 drop) in a pint glass and don't really find it makes it better. Different, yes, a bit more 'twang' but I find myself perfectly happy without it so I didn't dose the whole keg.

Quote:
Did this recipe achieve the Guiness Ruby Red tone?

I'm not sure what that means.

OkieDokie wrote:
On a side note. I, like many other people, prejudge beer by the look. I never thought I'd like a dark beer, but having brewed many now, I am no longer prejudice!

Yup! It's a much lighter tasting beer than you'd think if you've never tried it. Now, if all someone is used to is Coors Light then it'll certainly taste a lot "stronger". But motor oil it isn't!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jerryt wrote:
Did this recipe achieve the Guiness Ruby Red tone?

I'm not sure what that means.

Kal

Guiness boasts in their description,

" Our traditional craft of roasting barley gives GUINNESS® beer wonderful dark ruby red color (it looks black, but hold your glass up to the light, and you'll see there's a ruby in every glass, as the old saying has it) and its unique roasted character."

Jerry

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I've never tried/noticed, but given that roasted barley adds red when used in small volumes, I would assume that yes - that would be the outcome. Cool!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryt wrote:
" Our traditional craft of roasting barley gives GUINNESS® beer wonderful dark ruby red color (it looks black, but hold your glass up to the light, and you'll see there's a ruby in every glass, as the old saying has it) and its unique roasted character."

Had a pint of this beer I have on tap now the other day and remembered to shine light through it with my flashlight... and yes! It's actually really dark ruby red in colour. Interesting!

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal -

Is the 500-600L Roasted Barley in this recipe supposed to be malted or unmalted??? Your morebeer link links to malted.... http://morebeer.com/products/black-roasted-barley-malt.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description at MoreBeer does say it's unmalted:

500L Hugh Baird - Unmalted roasted grain, it is the backbone of a Stout. Also a good grain to make red beers with, use 2-3 oz per 5 gallons for a nice red color.

Kal

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The description at MoreBeer does say it's unmalted:

500L Hugh Baird - Unmalted roasted grain, it is the backbone of a Stout. Also a good grain to make red beers with, use 2-3 oz per 5 gallons for a nice red color.

Kal

Yes it does... Thanks for pointing that out... Being in the roasted malts category definitely confuses things.

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<sigh>> I guess I'll be trying malted black barley instead of unmalted.... I got the burr grinder and everything; guess I'll just mill the black malt and mash for 90 minutes instead of putting it in afterwards...
Edit: I'm going to proceed by the directions exactly even though I have the black malt instead of the black unmalted barley... Worst case I'll have beer and I'll be able to see what the flavor difference is when I brew this again... Cheers!

Thanks for the recipe and new technique!

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... got a stuck mash. I guess grinding the Black Malt on 10 in my burr grinder was the wrong answer... lol... damn... well I put all the water into the mash tun from the hlt and that didn't help either... looks like this one may not make it to the BK. Very Happy
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up bailing with a pint mug and using my hop spider as a grain filter... Very Happy
This should be interesting... My OG is 1.041 so it's respectable; I'll try again next time. The mash got stuck during the mashout and I wasn't paying attention so I'm not exactly sure how long it took to get stuck but when I checked it the temp running through the mash output was 148 and was just trickling out so I dumped the HLT 168 degree water into the mash tun; that didn't help so I ended up just moving the wort one cup at a time to the boil kettle via the hop spider so a LOT of splashing was going on SO... goodnews is that I finished that batch; bad new is it was one ugly way to get the wort into the boil kettle... cheers!

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I'm currently drinking a 'Stuck Mash Stout' and have to say.... despite my stuck mash and unconventional process with this recipe it is extremely tasty! Here's to hopin' that it doesn't get stuck the next time I try... I'm thinking rice hulls may be in order.
gilroy437

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this recipe scaled down to 5 gallons last month and am now enjoying it very much. It was my second all grain batch. I'm not brewing electric yet. I force carbed it using a my corny keg carb lid over 48 hours. When I try the syringe trick to get the nice Guiness-like head I just get an overflow. I'm guessing I over-carbed for this to work properly. Still tastes great.
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal -

I'm going to try this one again but am concerned about a stuck mash which happened after I stirred the mash after I added the Roasted Barley that was ground in a coffee grinder. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't stir the mash this time and just add to the top of the mash; seems to me it would be less likely to get stuck if I didn't stir. Thoughts?

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, leave the mash alone. Just dump the roasted barley on top and let it do it's thing. It may take several minutes for the color to come out, but it will, eventually. I NEVER stir the mash after the grainbed is set up.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent... thanks for your input Huaco! I'll try it again...
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works on all levels too... I was head brewer on my homebrew club's traveling 3bbl brewery. We were brewing a Robust Porter. After mashing in, we realized our LHBS omitted the roasted barley. I sent a runner to grab it once the shop opened and upon return we had about 20 minutes left in the mash. We tossed it in and it slowly changed what would have been a "Blonde" porter to it's intended "Robust" style! lol. Twas VERY nice too!

Cheers!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mention in the recipe that you need to stir well after adding the roasted barley as otherwise the fine layer of powdery roasted barley on top may stop the flow. (This happened to me). You may certainly try without stirring and see what happens.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: