Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Irish Red Ale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Irish Red Ale Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/irish-red-ale

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm; edited 29 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
corb5309

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: just brewed your irish red Reply with quote

I used this Irish Red Ale recipe as my first test run on my electric brewery setup since it somewhat simple and I've done an Irish Red Ale before to compare it to. Everything on my first run with the electric setup went smoothly with the exception of one thing which I can't really complain about; I ended up with 96.5% mash efficiency which I wasn't quite expecting on my first run. This took me a little out of style with the ABV so I just made the 6 gallon batch a 6.5 gallon batch by topping it off after the boil.

Granted the last time I made an Irish Red it was a Norther Brewer AG kit, my first all grain run and I didn't have a fermentation temp control chamber yet but the results from this recipe already taste way better after a two week primary than that Northern Brewer kit ever did even after a couple months in the bottle. Now that I know a little more about recipe designs I can compare the two malt bills and the yeasts used and kind of see why that might be the case.

I could bottle this batch today and be really happy with it but I'll be a little more patient. Irish Red doesn't get as much attention as many of the more hoppy and fancy recipes out there. Thanks for posting this one!!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked the recipe! Give it a month or so at near freezing after it's been properly carbonated and it'll get even smoother.

Cheers,

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this one on March 28th and tapped this week... Outstanding flavor! This is one of my favorites even without beergas.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this recipe three weeks ago...scaled to around 18 gallons. It fermented out in less than a week. I kegged it two weeks ago and started drinking this week. It's a delicious beer. Light body, approx. 4.3% abv., nice roasty finish...good balance all around. Head doesn't last, but it's sitting on around 12 PSI now, and a stout faucet might do it more justice. Perfect daily drinker for cooling weather.

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie
View user's photo album (13 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're enjoying it! I still have a keg of it on tap myself (nitro tap). It's a nice full flavoured beer without all the alcohol.

Kal

MikeOH

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this kegged this weekend. I am getting better with the EB system, but collected a bit too much wort on this one. Not by much, but the ABV ended up around 4%. Very smooth and subtle. A little less rich than the Fuller's ESB which I also have on tap, but both are kinda similar I think. Both seem good to me at the 1.5-1.75 vol CO2 level.
MikeOH

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3-4 weeks conditioning I found this really smoothed out and head retention improved. Also, there seems to be a new, just slight smokiness to it. Anyone else found this?
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this one a month or so ago. Half is in the keg (and on tap) and half I just bottled. Taste great, the SO likes it so that's good and good reviews by everyone else. The only issue is it is much darker than I thought it would be. Not as dark as the Irish Dry Stout (GREAT Beer), but I can't see any light through a glass of this beer. Anyone else have this issue? I have left myself a note to reduce the Roasted Barley next time.

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - when the light's right it looks pretty much like a pint of Kilkenny, maybe a shade darker.

Here's a video of mine: https://www.instagram.com/p/BAOMaX7IKoU/

Lighting is really bad and dark unfortunately, and colours faded.

Kal

GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
I can't see any light through a glass of this beer.

I too have observed this on a couple of batches. Since I'm not entering any competitions, none of my friends are nearly sophisticated enough to care (although one calls it a 'brown ale'), and (most importantly) I LIKE it, I'm not too bothered by the color.

If I take a glass outside and use sunlight I can detect the signature red color thanks to the barley.

W
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you may want to try for the next batch is to cut the amount of Roasted Barley in half. It's only used for colour and if you add too much you'll get a browner (instead of red). I didn't think it was the case, but maybe mine is kilned a bit lighter than what others are getting?

It shouldn't affect the taste much in such small quantities.

Kal

GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal for the suggestion - I actually did that on the next batch (#3).

Took some of batch #2 to the LHBS who sent it along to a certified beer judge - scored it a 34 out of 50 with this as the "overall" comment:

Lovely looking Irish Red Ale with an inviting aroma, ester levels of red apple stand out a bit high. Medicinal/chlorophenol flavor and husky astringency detracts from overall enjoyment. Don't oversparge with H2O > 170 degrees F or pH > 6. Roast flavor comes through in flavor a bit too high and may be cause of astringency along with the chlorophenols. Roast/dark malt character may be accentuated by low mash temp/higher attenuation. If so, try mashing 2-3 degrees F higher.

His comment wrt the sparge has got to be a "standard response" as I know for a fact that sparge water never exceeded 168 (thanks to your system design) and pH was for sure less than 6.0. OTH, I agree that the roast flavor is quite strong. I think for tomorrow's batch (#4) I'm going to make 2 changes (yes, I'm not a good scientist): 1) try 'cold steeping with a short boil' the Roasted Barley (per 'Brewing Better Beer' page 45), but will use the full 8 oz. from the recipe, and 2) bumping the mash temperature to 154 degrees F.

Will let you know in 6 weeks how it turns out.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to remove chlorine/chloramine from your water too (the "chlorophenol" comment he made). See my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP or WATER ADJUSTMENT articles for complete details.

Let us know how it tastes in 6 weeks! Cheers!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I just brewed this recipe and its not red at all, its in fact dark amber, am I missing something I did use Golden Promise but that shouldn't have made a difference, I mashed and boiled for 90 minutes and my beers are always darker that they should be, trying to figure this one out lol

I just read the above posts oops should have done that before I brewed, oh well
d4nny74

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing this on Sunday but only work in EBC, is there a calc anywhere that I can use to convert from L ?

Cheers all

Danny
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this by Googling "Lovibond to EBC converter":

https://www.brewtoad.com/tools/color-converter

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

d4nny74

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant cheers , Currently have your Hop Candy in the fermentor , smells amazing Smile

Last edited by d4nny74 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy! I just ordered another 3 packs of WY1318 to make some more myself! Wink

Kal

d4nny74

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, am using 1084, but have no clue over liquid yeasts as am just starting out in liquids and only ever use us05 lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: