Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Peltier cooling on Fermenter Complete
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddc69

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Block Size Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Discdoc wrote:
What size are your aluminum blocks. Are they the 1" thick by 4" wide and how long ? Thanks for all your post and help.

They are 1" thick and 4" tall. I will measure the length but they need to be just long enough to bolt down your heat sink(s).

BTW, I am using this fermenter now for my first lager. It is having to work very little (mostly off) to keep the fermentation temperature at 53F while the ambient room temperature is at 68F.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Discdoc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on keeping your Lager temp. Do you think you needed both cooling blocks with all 4 chips, or would a single have been good enough?
ddc69

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discdoc wrote:
Congrats on keeping your Lager temp. Do you think you needed both cooling blocks with all 4 chips, or would a single have been good enough?

Thanks! I believe I do need the 4 chips with the 14 gallon fermenter. However, one might be able to get down in the 50's with only two. When I'm done using it for the latest batch, I can give it a try with only two plugged in and do a water test.
Discdoc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the cooler working? Are you still happy with it?
ddc69

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discdoc wrote:
How is the cooler working? Are you still happy with it?

I am loving them! They work great on both conicals I did. I can maintain temperature down to near freezing within 1 degree. I would do it again. Thanks for asking.

FYI: I posted some more pics and information about them in the Pimp my System thread at the AHA forum site.
Discdoc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind that I'm trying to copy your set up exactly. Lease take it as a compliment. Any help you could supply with regards to wiring would be greatly appreciated. I'm a spine surgeon first, brewer second and know nothing about wiring. Lol thanks in advance
aCros

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone considered using the peltier plates as a method of cooling down boiling wort?
I brew my small batches in my kitchen, and running a plate chiller or really anything else that requires me to set up a garden hose I find is a pain.
I was considering using a length of copper tubing with several peltier plates attached, and recirculating until temp is reached.
ddc69

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCros wrote:
Has anyone considered using the peltier plates as a method of cooling down boiling wort?
I brew my small batches in my kitchen, and running a plate chiller or really anything else that requires me to set up a garden hose I find is a pain.
I was considering using a length of copper tubing with several peltier plates attached, and recirculating until temp is reached.

I have not. However, I believe that would not be real practical to do and the heat load required to cool the wort is quite high. It looks like it would take roughly 40 peltier chips to cool the 5 gallons of wort from boiling to 75F in 1 hour. For my fermenter 4 chips requires one 600W power supply.

Great outside the box thinking, I just don't know how practical that application would be. Cheers!
gava

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks very interesting...

How gradual is the cooling?
You show the fermenter walls having ice forming, was this just for testing or does this happen in your fermenting schedule?
I'd be a little worried about having a sub temp pocket around that area which could result in putting your yeast to sleep. have you noticed this?
If not this has made it to my project list.

Gavin

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gava wrote:
This looks very interesting...

How gradual is the cooling?
You show the fermenter walls having ice forming, was this just for testing or does this happen in your fermenting schedule?
I'd be a little worried about having a sub temp pocket around that area which could result in putting your yeast to sleep. have you noticed this?
If not this has made it to my project list.

Gavin

The ice only happens when you don't have a heat sink in the fermenter such as water or wort to dissipate the cooling. I can cool the contents of the fermenter at about 2-3 degrees or so per hour (my probe is in a thermowell in the center of the conical. I have had no problems with yeast activity and have fermented saisons and lagers in the fermenter along with about every other style. I have seen no problems with fermentation or flavor related to the cooling or heating that I do with the fermenter. I LOVE the two fermenters I did this to. Cheers!
gava

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in Australia we tend to have hot summers. My brew room seems to sit around 22c (72f) at the moment and in summer it can get a touch higher but thats because it on a non sun facing room . How efficient do you think this setup would be say from 22-28c (72f->82f)?

Have you put a power meter on your device for a complete ferment? if you have whats your findings? I'd love to go this way and made some keg fermenters just don't want to increase my power consumption while I'm at it.

Cheers
Gavin.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gava wrote:
here in Australia we tend to have hot summers. My brew room seems to sit around 22c (72f) at the moment and in summer it can get a touch higher but thats because it on a non sun facing room . How efficient do you think this setup would be say from 22-28c (72f->82f)?

Have you put a power meter on your device for a complete ferment? if you have whats your findings? I'd love to go this way and made some keg fermenters just don't want to increase my power consumption while I'm at it.

Cheers
Gavin.

My brew room in the summer gets up around 70f. I have easily been getting a good 30-35f temperature drop from ambient with my setup. It is insulated which helps. I have not put a power meter on it. I am using a 120v 500W computer power supply to run the unit. At max temperature drop the system runs most of the time. At higher temperatures, say 50-60f, it runs 50% of the time or less.
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason why you went with the More Beer 14gal vs the Blichman? I'm seriously interested in copying your work as space is an issue and my stairs to the basement would really restrict the size of the fridge/freezer I could install.

Great work and thanks for sharing. Any updates?
ddc69

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwdriver wrote:
Is there any reason why you went with the More Beer 14gal vs the Blichman? I'm seriously interested in copying your work as space is an issue and my stairs to the basement would really restrict the size of the fridge/freezer I could install.

Great work and thanks for sharing. Any updates?

Thanks. I have a 7 gallon threaded/weldless Blichmann and a 14 gallon tri-clamp MoreBeer! one. To be honest, I like the MoreBeer! fermenter better but haven't really looked at the new Blichmann 14 gallon TC versions.

As for updates, the system continues to work very well. I am currently cold crashing 14 gallons of Kolsch and it is doing a great job. My only problem is now I'm brewing so much in preparation for starting up a micro brewery down the road that I need more controllers and power supplies as I can only ferment, with temperature control, one fermenter at a time.

This truly was one of the builds, obviously after Kal's setup, that I have got the most use out of.
Cacaman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the "ebay aquarium temp controller build" here. ( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/ ). I actually have one laying around, so...

Would this peltier cooling device be compatible with this?
kungfudrinx

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, I'm assuming that these TEC devices are much more energy efficient than running a refrigerator?

Actually TECs are generally about a quarter as efficient as traditional cooling methods (10–15% efficiency of the ideal Carnot cycle refrigerator, compared with 40–60% achieved by conventional compression cycle systems) , and are generally used where there is a limiting factor in a traditional compression refrigerator. In this case, it does offer benefits in terms of being able to more finely tune the output, as well as being able to more efficiently direct the extraction of heat from the fermentor, in the form of the molded aluminum blocks.

I am curious though, have you thought of setting up a PWC controller for the TECs, hooked up to a pid, in order to provide a higher resolution of temperature control? Also, if I remember correctly, TECs can actually be used to provide heating as well, by reversing the current flowing through them. I wonder if you could use the TECs for both heating and cooling? Maybe hooked up to something like the brewpi?

Cheers,
KFD
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm trying to copy the peltier cooling design for my 14.5 gal stout tanks fermentor. I've got everything built and now I'm chasing wires trying to get the power supply to power up. It was mentioned to loop the green wire back to another black wire to ground it in order to get the power supply to turn on. Tried it and the thing won't power up. Also tried simply connecting the green wire to another ground.

Has anyone else tried using a power supply in this manner?

Thanks. Hoping to get this project finished up so I can brew some beer!
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard. I got the fan turning. Ought to have the fermenter squared away tomorrow.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current issue of Zymurgy Jan/Feb 2015 Vol 38. #1 has it's annual best of DIY projects and highlights a Peltier cooler project by Dan Curtis who used Rob Swanson's pdf document as a guide.

The article does not address is the machining of the aluminum block to conform to the curvature of the fermenting vessel.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
The current issue of Zymurgy Jan/Feb 2015 Vol 38. #1 has it's annual best of DIY projects and highlights a Peltier cooler project by Dan Curtis who used Rob Swanson's pdf document as a guide.

The article does not address is the machining of the aluminum block to conform to the curvature of the fermenting vessel.

Item number four in the DIY issue was my little creation!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: