Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sparge Water Adjustments

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Sparge Water Adjustments Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi All. Well, after 7 batches on the new system I am coming up with previously uncontemplated questions. To much time on my hands babysitting a 90 minute sparge. Wink

When I use EZ Water Calculator to make my RO water adjustments, the value I use for my Sparge Water Volume is ALL the water in my HLT after I have transferred my Strike Water to the MLT. i.e. for a 6 gal batch:

Mash Water = 4.59 gals
Sparge Water = 7.41 gals

Since I add my Sparge adjustment salts to the BK (not the HLT), I got to thinking ... Should I base my Sparge Water adjustments on a smaller volume since not all of the Sparge Water gets transferred to the BK?

If so, what volume should I use? More importantly, am I over thinking this? My beer tastes awesome IMHO. But ... Could it taste better?

Also, if a tree falls in the forest ....

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

total water is always different for different people, its based on your evaporation and waste for your set up, after you brew a while you notice how much is extra or not enough water you have then you can adjust for your mash first, then whats left over is sparge water

you can always boil down extra water too lol

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but I guess I was a little unclear in my question. I am not concerned with the amount of water to sparge (After all, the beauty of Kal's setup is that we just sparge until we have collected enough sweet wort into the BK).

The question is when using EZ Water Calculator, what Volume of Sparge Water do we input into the calculation (cell E8 in the spreadsheet) when calculating our Sparge Salt Additions since we are not actually adding the salts to the sparge water but to the Boil Kettle.

Up to this point, I have been inputting the amount of water left in my HLT after transferring the strike water. But that seems like too large of volume to base the salts I add to the BK.

Clear as mud ... right.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry don't use that, water is built into the system I use based on your settings at Brewers Friend

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Beer Smith and that tells you how much water you will need to sparge with. Thats the volume I enter into EZ water sparge column.

Scott
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. I think I will try that and calculate my "required" sparge volume using Kal's calculation from "Brew Day: Step By Step"

Sparge water = Pre-boil kettle volume + Liquid lost to grain absorption - Strike water

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are adding your sparge adjustment salts to the BK, then you will want to base the additions on the actual volume of sparge water used. If you've been using the total remaining water in the HLT in the EZ water calculator, but then adding the salts to the BK, your resulting ppm's in your BK will be higher than what you've calculated.
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueBridge wrote:
If you are adding your sparge adjustment salts to the BK, then you will want to base the additions on the actual volume of sparge water used. If you've been using the total remaining water in the HLT in the EZ water calculator, but then adding the salts to the BK, your resulting ppm's in your BK will be higher than what you've calculated.

Yep. That's the conclusion I came to (see previous post).

Sparge water = Pre-boil kettle volume + Liquid lost to grain absorption - Strike water

I was overthinking it before. Drunk

Jerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: