Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hydrometer calibration procedure with downloadable chart

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Hydrometer calibration procedure with downloadable chart Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone,

I've never seen anyone create an adjustable hydrometer calibration chart that compensates for errors across the gravity range so I created one myself, and wrapped it in an article that describes how to best calibrate your hydrometer.

See:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=7

Cheers,

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, much appreciated! I keep meaning to check mine out, especially since a couple of times I only had my refractometer reading for my OG...
View user's photo album (6 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used my refactometer for any reading after fermentation has started due to the effects of the the alcohol on the readings. Does the Hanna digital refactometer compensate for alcohol somehow?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. It does not so you need to use a correction tool like this one to compensate:

http://morebeerpro.com/images/file.php?file_id=1817

You enter the starting gravity when you first made the wort (the OG) and then later on during or after fermentation you enter the updated gravity too and it compensates. Like any manual refractometer, to use the digital one to measure gravity once alcohol is present you need to know the original gravity (OG) such that you can use the correction tool.

I'll make a note of it on the instruction page too to make sure it's clear.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: