Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating Element hole leaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markolomew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Heating Element hole leaks Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Long story short, (when attaching my heating element to my keggles) my holes in the keggles and on my heating element boxes were cut slightly too large and now I have a leak. Rather than point out the obvious about how I miss measured, I'd like to focus on what I can do about plugging this up. I know I can use the adhesive silicon that was provided in the kit to plug up the box side to make the whole flush with the threads, but I am not sure I can do this same thing for the keggle hole (as I'm not sure if this is the best option, as the adhesive seems to be hazardous to ingest).

So, what do you suggest? I've tried wrapping with extra Teflon tape as well. Is there any "boil" safe sealant I can use to plug this hole from the inside of the keggle?

Let me know what "non toxic" fixes you think would work. I guess I could undo it and see about getting the nut welded to the outside of the hole on the keggle, but I'd rather do something in-house if possible.

Please let me know,
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I think I would try to find someone to weld a patch over the hole you've got, and then create a new hole at a different location on the pot for the element. This is the most critical/dangerous part of your setup from my perspective, so I wouldn't want to take any risks.

Or you could have a tri-clamp adapter welded to the hole you already cut, and then go with something like this type of setup for your heating element...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/190805657161?lpid=82&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

(Just one example - there are many other sources.)

Link updated to support this site - thank you!
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Element hole leaks Reply with quote

markolomew wrote:
Let me know what "non toxic" fixes you think would work. I guess I could undo it and see about getting the nut welded to the outside of the hole on the keggle, but I'd rather do something in-house if possible.

Please let me know,

As for doing it in-house perhaps you could get two large thick SS washers from McMaster, and a piece of flat silicone gasket material. Sandwich your kettle wall between the two washers and place the silicone gasket between the washer and inside kettle wall. Bolt them together with a SS bolt with it's head inside the kettle and an o-ring captured under that bolt head and inside a washer, then use a SS nyloc on the outside and glue the crap out of that with the silicone sealer.

Then re-drill and re-do.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for welding on a hex nut, or a tri-clamp fitting. Find someone that likes beer and maybe you can trade for the welding. If you can't find a welder that likes beer, the one disadvantage of paying someone for just this is that they probably have a minimum time charge. Maybe get some other welding done at the same time?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
I vote for welding on a hex nut, or a tri-clamp fitting.

So is this the same hex nut that came with the kit that screws onto the heating element? If so, That seems like the best overall fix as the nut will close off the hole (using lead free solder). Plus it is almost impossible to screw that nut on the other side with the washer and o-ring anywy, so this would be handy. I'm guessing you'd just need to get some teflon tape on the threads of the heating element and just screw that badboy in and be done, correct?
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to consider on this...

If you're going to be able to just lean your BK over on a sink next to the brewstand and clean it out, having the power cord permanently attached won't be an issue in any way. In my case however I have to take the BK from my brew stand to my sink across the garage where I balance it on the edge and clean it out. My power cord is attached as per the standard build. But if I had it to do all over again I would have gone with a tri-clamp fitting and have a removable power cord. To me it'd be much handier to disconnect the cord and element for cleaning. Easier to then clean the pot (with a tri-clamp cap in place) and easier to clean the heating element.

Beyond that which is just my perceived convenience factor, either a hex nut or tri-clamp can get you to the same end result - brewing beer!

Mug
markolomew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin59 wrote:
Beyond that which is just my perceived convenience factor, either a hex nut or tri-clamp can get you to the same end result - brewing beer!

On it! Getting welding quotes as we speak. I think you can all feel my frustration when this entire process was finished and I was doing a test with water and it just poured out heater elements. My heart sunk. So close. So FAR.

Again, I appreciate all these feedbacks. This will be a great help for not only me but others in my "unfortunate" situation
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need teflon tape for the hex nut. The hex nut and the heating element have straight threads, not tapered. The seal comes from the o-ring.

I'd probably do the tri-clamp thing if I were starting today.

I paid $120 for two hours of stainless welding. That was to put fittings, probably ~20, on 6 different keggles.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silver solder welding spud
http://www.brewhardware.com/fittings-75/120-spuds
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: