Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

RIMS Tube temperature probe delay

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaswood

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: RIMS Tube temperature probe delay Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We are having a problem with a delay on the temperature reading from the RIMS probe. We are using the BCS-460 control panel. The RIMS tube is mounted vertically with the element at the bottom and the probe at the top. The wort inlet is at the bottom and the outlet is at the top.

The problem is a delay in the probe readings. After the element kicks on, the temperature readout continues to fall, then about 20 seconds later begins to rise. At this point the actual temp is near boiling but the readout is about 170. Obviously this makes the PID control of the element unworkable.

Has anyone else had this problem? Some on the board suggest mounting the tube horizontally.

Any input is appreciated!
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using a BCS or a RIMS setup since I've got the Kal clone setup. But I've spent some time thinking about doing RIMS and how I might do it. Rather than tube orientation I was thinking I might use a different sort of SSR, specifically a Crydom phase angle controller / SSR (PDF attached). If the BCS could control that some how then you could have much finer control over the wattage of the RIMS element I think. Just a theory of course...

crydom_m_cpc.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  crydom_m_cpc.pdf
 Filesize:  791.75 KB
 Downloaded:  769 Time(s)

View user's photo album (6 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: