Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Making Hop Extract

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Hop Growing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Making Hop Extract Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This doesn't really fall under hop growing per se, but I was doing some reading on hop extracts and the use of them, post kegging, to add some more bitterness to a recipe that just missed the mark a bit.

So I decided to try to make my own.

I took an ounce of Hallertau and added 2 cups of vodka. Let it sit for a week, and I just pulled off the separation. I will try to add photos. I think it worked, or sort of, because I made this vodka hoptini stuff, that was crazy bitter, even one drop of it.

Was wondering how can you test for the IBU of this "product" to use in recipe?
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.
Are alpha acids alcohol soluble?
Sounds like something you should just add to taste. There are Labs that can test the alpha acids but the vodka may mess up their protocol.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure. I know that making other extracts, like vanilla or almond, etc., some are made with alcohol. Other forums talked about using alcohol as a means of extracting. And yes, just a bit added for the bittering is needed. Things I've read, say that only a few drops per glass are enough. Just a fun experiment, and not sure if it's really viable, but something to do.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add hops to kegs all the time, just try it in a bag with fresh hops, only thing is it fades quicker but just adding magnum will certainly add bitterness even without the strait alcohol

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall a session at the Craft Brewers Conference in 2008 (recall the hop shortage around then) where a producer of hop extracts explained some of the process, which was a bit more exotic than dissolving in vodka. The MoreBeer extract is made by using liquid CO2, and here's a patent for a more involved process, and the discussion mentions methods like boiling in aqueous alkali and using organic solvents. Of course at the commercial level, it is all about getting as much alpha alpha as possible from a given amount of hops. The best we as brewers get is about 29-30% utilization, which means a lot of waste.

Of course, alcohol is an organic solvent (a weak one?), and as a homebrewer using two ounces of hops instead of one isn't a big deal. So I suppose making your own extract is a viable option. If you don't want to make it, here's another product available for homebrewers: http://www.hoptech.com/products/iso-alpha-extract-2-oz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Hop Growing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: