Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Grain Milling Error potential

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Grain Milling Error potential Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I just added grain for the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye recipe and noticed that I had a lot more whole grain pieces than previous batches I've done. Added all the grain and stirred and started the mashing process. Thought about it some more and went back and checked my Malt Mill grain mill. One of the grinder wheels was a bit off. So the gap was off on one side of the mill. That leads me to think that more whole grains went through like I thought. How big of a problem is this going to be and what should I look for that will be different during this run? And is there anything I can do, right now, mid-run, to fix this? Please help!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you grind looser you'll get lower mash efficiency which mean your starting gravity will be lower than expected. Always a good idea to check the mill gap before each grind, just in case.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything that I can do right now? Like increasing mash time or am I sunk at this point?
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reason why i double grind all my grain:D If you have any LME/DME around you could probably buff up the sugar back to where its supposed to be to save it.
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the local brew shop and talked with them. They had me take a mash SG reading and it was 1.059. I know it will go down a bit preboil due to dilution, but then go back up a bit post-boil. I still think it will end up fairly close. But now I will add "double checking my roller gaps before grinding grain" to my Don't Forget to Do This Before You Start list.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
Is there anything that I can do right now? Like increasing mash time or am I sunk at this point?

Not much you can do now.

If you think it's going to be very low and you've been doing a single infusion mash and haven't ramped up yet, you can mill some more (correctly) and throw it in, mix it up, and mash longer. There's probably some math that can be done around what your mash gravity is and what you expect to figure this out but it's not something I have time to research. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after talking with brew shop again and taking pre-boil SG reading (woefully low at 1.0221) I added 6 lbs DME and will pray. Another lesson learned, but it might end of being "The Best Beer Ever"
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the post boil update, the SG post boil ended up at 1.0624. We now have to wait to see if it tastes like it should!
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62 points is a good OG. It may not be where you wanted it but hey, it'll make beer.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, after all the ups and the downs, the OG of 62 is spot on the recipe for this Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye as shown in the Recipe section. I'm just worried that the DME will cover up the rye tones. But it will make beer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: