Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

"Carmelizing sugar"

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: "Carmelizing sugar" Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have seen a couple of recipes that mention "Carmelize sugar in kettle prior to runoff". What does that mean? And is it similar to carmelizing sugar in cooking? Do you add brown sugar to the BK before you transfer wort? Please advise. Thanks.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little I've found on this it sounds like it's better suited to gas brewing setups??? For example one recipe I found described using the first gallon of runoff in the BK and boiling it down to 3 cups, and then finish lautering. With our electric setups that's not doable at that volume, so maybe collecting a gallon and boiling on the kitchen stove in a 2-3 gallon pot would be an option? You could do that while the sparge continues on your e-brewery.

You wouldn't by chance be looking to do a Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale?
View user's photo album (6 photos)
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it! that is totally what i was wanting to do. I did their 90-min IPA and that one is awesome, so I figured I'd stick with a winner. Like you mentioned, I guess I could just carmelize the sugar on the stove top like you would do it if you were cooking something and then put it in BK.
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one's also on my want-to-do list. I try to keep bottles on hand at home. You'll have to let me know how the clone recipe works out! Mug
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. In the directions for that it says to "caramelize sugar prior to runoff". then Mash at 152. Does that mean add caramelized sugar to MLT or to BK?
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! I think I'd carmelize the brown suger on the stovetop and add it to the BK before sparging. Otherwise it would seem you'd stand to lose a good portion if it was added to the MLT.
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! I'll try it that way and report back. I think tomorrow is brew day for this one if i can put together all the ingredients and my Honey-Do List isn't too demanding.
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the point of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale, I put the numbers into Brewer's Friend program and it doesn't fit the category of a Brown Ale. ABV is way too high and the color and IBU are way low. Just wondering if this one falls into a different category?
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It fits more of a Strong Scottish Ale profile, we'll see
ELA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Carmelizing Sugar Reply with quote

Okie - I haven't tried this yet, but SWMBO used to be a pastry chef, and she says this info looks spot on. It's also called invert sugar, which breaks the physical bond between sucrose (table sugar) into fructose and glucose, which makes it much easier for your yeast to feast on. You can make your candi sugar days in advance, and on slide 20 it shows his color results at different temps. Have fun, and please let us know your results! Mug

http://www.slideshare.net/mezzoblue/everything-i-know-about-belgian-candi-syrup-i-learned-from-homebrewtalkcom-9448692
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the Slideshow, it got me thinking about Belgian Candi Sugar at the local brew shop. Why couldn't I just use that instead of caramelizing my own? Is that a different product?
ELA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the same stuff. Funny - I got to looking at the Belgian Candi Sugar at the LHBS and thought, Why couldn't I just carmelize my own Thumbs Up
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELA wrote:
I think it's the same stuff. Funny - I got to looking at the Belgian Candi Sugar at the LHBS and thought, Why couldn't I just carmelize my own Thumbs Up

^^^^^
THIS!

If it really is as easy as the slide show indicates, why on earth would anyone actually buy the stuff? Plus, you could make several grades of it depending on which color and flavor you are looking for.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELA wrote:

Thanks for that link! Looks like a great way to go!
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
ELA wrote:

^^^^^
THIS!

If it really is as easy as the slide show indicates, why on earth would anyone actually buy the stuff? Plus, you could make several grades of it depending on which color and flavor you are looking for.

I think it comes down to cost VS time spent. A lb of candi sugar is $5-$7 Depending on where you buy it compared to the time to acctaully caramelize the sugar and wash up after the process. Most peoples lazy bone will kick in long before thinking about making Candi Sugar.

Personally i want to give it a try:)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think brown sugar will work but here's a link on how to make it

http://www.ifood.tv/blog/how-to-caramelize-sugar-in-the-microwave

keep in mind that different sugars added to any recipe might change the gravity and or the mouth feel, candied being the highest and table being the lowest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown sugar is made from white sugar and molasses, and I'd be concerned about that flavor coming through as it's quite distinctive.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the beer ferments correctly the yeast eats all sugar added no matter what it is, the only difference is the mouth feel if enough is added so really anything will work, some yeast like certain sugars more than others and will up the alcohol or dry the beer taste out a bit, that is under perfect conditions, I wouldn't worry too much Ive used every sugar I can get my hands on and never tasted any difference accept for splenda

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
Back to the point of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale, I put the numbers into Brewer's Friend program and it doesn't fit the category of a Brown Ale. ABV is way too high and the color and IBU are way low. Just wondering if this one falls into a different category?

I think you will find a few things out if you continue down the cloning path. For one, Dogfish Head beers rarely fit within style guidelines. Thats kind of who they are. Two, style guidelines for homebrewers are different than professional brewers. Three, if you intend on submitting these beers in homebrew competitions dont really pay attention to being 100% within the style guidelines. Janet's Brown is well outside the American Brown style guidelines and I believe Tasty won a gold medal with it at Nationals. So you should think of them just as guidelines to try and keep your beer close to what they say the limits are. Of the metrics listed color might be the most obvious one to a judge, but ABV and IBUs are more difficult to determine if your beer is balanced. Anyway, just some food for thought based off of your concerns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: