Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

BeerTools Pro OR BeerSmith
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Now that is a good one Kal !! Loved it
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Beersmith, bit of a hassle to setup but once you have your equipment profiles sorted out it is excellent. Easy to follow and scale to your exact equipment.

Try both and go with which one you feel comfortable with.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy wrote:
5. Do the formulas used (ie Tinseth) for each differ drastically?

I'll offer the following comment on the above:

Even if they did, I don't think it matters.

There are about half a dozen ways to calculate bitterness in beer. Tinseth is one of them. It doesn't matter which of them is 'correct' as that's subjective, especially with hop forward beers where it's more about hop flavours added late to the boil and/or steeped instead of pure bitterness. What matters is taste and how harsh or clean the bitterness is. No calculator can tell you that. For example, you can make a RIS that (on paper) is 100 IBU that tastes a lot smoother and less bitter than a Blond Ale that (on paper) is 20 IBU. It's very subjective. (Those example numbers may be a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea).

I basically ignore IBUs for anything but beers where only straight 60 min additions are added, things like my light lagers, or a Kolsch, and so forth. But again, the hops matter too so for delicate beers like this I tend to go for noble hops and they're very clean tasting. If I was to use 'harsh' hops, I may want to use less hops.

For american style hop forward beers, I don't even look at where the IBU numbers end up.

I guess what I'm saying is that IBU isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I find far too many brewers focus on it as a 'target' when that's backwards. The 'target' should be how the beer tastes. Numbers only tell a small part of the story and especially with IBUs I find there are a lot of caveats. I think someone new to brewing would be well served to completely ignore it until they get a feel for when and how the number is meaningful. I see far too many times people mentioning "I don't like high IBU beers" and I just shake my head as it's all relative. It makes as little sense as someone who says "I don't like dark beers".

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: