Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Jerz's Electric Brewery...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Jerz wrote:
Thanks Kal! Already ordered... I figured it was fried. I still may brew this weekend but just switch the plugs around and use the HLT PID for the boil.... just depends if I can get my make shift hood working.

did you use an under the sink pump to plumb in? If so hows it working?
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
Jerz wrote:
Thanks Kal! Already ordered... I figured it was fried. I still may brew this weekend but just switch the plugs around and use the HLT PID for the boil.... just depends if I can get my make shift hood working.

did you use an under the sink pump to plumb in? If so hows it working?

Yes. I'm using a Liberty Pumps 405 Commercial 1/2 HP Drain Pump which I purchased here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038RK5C0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=1f1ac4555b74b9236aaa1805f3179a80&language=en_US

I went with the commercial one since it was rated to 180F instead of the resi model which if I remember correctly was only rated for 120F.

So far it's been working great just have to remember to put a big enough strainer over the drain to catch any grains or hop sludge you're dumping in the sink or it really struggles to pump it up. The first time I rinsed out my mash tun I didn't think anything of it and the pump struggled to get the little bit of grain pumped up.

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
Yes. I'm using a Liberty Pumps 405 Commercial 1/2 HP Drain Pump which I purchased here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038RK5C0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=1f1ac4555b74b9236aaa1805f3179a80&language=en_US

I went with the commercial one since it was rated to 180F instead of the resi model which if I remember correctly was only rated for 120F.

So far it's been working great just have to remember to put a big enough strainer over the drain to catch any grains or hop sludge you're dumping in the sink or it really struggles to pump it up. The first time I rinsed out my mash tun I didn't think anything of it and the pump struggled to get the little bit of grain pumped up.

Excellent- thank you for the additional info. I've been researching various pumps as this is the only way I'll be able to get a sink into my brewing area.

Likely will go with the same one based on what I've read about it this evening. Still trying to figure out the best way to plumb into an existing drain. I'l have 20-30 foot run depending on which existing drain system I pick.
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hired a plumber that I knew and this is what he did. He should have used 2" pipe but didn't realize there was a 2" output until after he installed everything but the pump so he used a reducer at the pump to go to 1-1/2"

PLUMBING.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.93 KB
 Viewed:  11597 Time(s)

PLUMBING.jpg

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are starting to look better now... I realized that the other side of the brewery needs a bathroom so I need to consolidate a little more. I'm liking the unitanks in front of the window; just need to block the sun from hitting the site glass at the bottom. I also need an 18" deep x 48" table next to the sink and another 24" x 48".

brewery2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.61 KB
 Viewed:  11590 Time(s)

brewery2.jpg

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
I hired a plumber that I knew and this is what he did. He should have used 2" pipe but didn't realize there was a 2" output until after he installed everything but the pump so he used a reducer at the pump to go to 1-1/2"

Thanks for the photo & information- it was very helpful.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info for the pump too. Love your build.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Changing 50A Control Panel to DIN Rail... Reply with quote

Wow... can't believe 8 years has flown by since I built the control panel...

I'm actually now looking into converting my control panel to the din rail setup since it is such a cleaner look. The main thing I wanted to convert was just the fuses to breakers but then I got the four breakers and realize they won't fit unless I add the lower components to the rail and now I'm thinking I may as well do the upper rail too... more to come.

Cheers!
Mug

Jerz

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing 50A Control Panel to DIN Rail... Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
Wow... can't believe 8 years has flown by since I built the control panel...

I'm actually now looking into converting my control panel to the din rail setup since it is such a cleaner look. The main thing I wanted to convert was just the fuses to breakers but then I got the four breakers and realize they won't fit unless I add the lower components to the rail and now I'm thinking I may as well do the upper rail too... more to come.

Take a look at our pre-assembled panel inside pics and you can check out how we build DIN panels (though even those have changed a bit over time, mostly just to allow for faster assembly for someone who knows what they're doing - for everyone else DIN is slower and more confusing I find):

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slower and confusing? That's interesting.... anyway, I love the look and feel it's a good upgrade.

Here's what I've got... I need to check my din rail sizes but other than that I think this should get it; I already have the four breakers.

The only thing I'm wondering is if I should put a power block between the shunt and the SSR's since it's such a pain having two #6 under one screw. That way instead of looping them I'll just have a separate run to each SSR.

[/img]

Material List p2.png
 Description:
Page 2
 Filesize:  57.71 KB
 Viewed:  7347 Time(s)

Material List p2.png

Material List p1.png
 Description:
Page 1
 Filesize:  72.04 KB
 Viewed:  7347 Time(s)

Material List p1.png

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Changing 50A Control Panel to DIN Rail... Reply with quote

I know... they say if it ain't broke then don't fix it but.... it's like when you repaint one room in the house, you just can't do one room... I really just wanted to get rid of those little fuses since I had a bad connection and melted one side of the fuse block and haven't changed it out yet because it's a fifty amp panel and I've only used it like a thirty. I feel I've been fortunate and now would be a good time to go ahead and do an upgrade with all of these cool new components that weren't available when I first built the panel eight years ago.

After looking at it more.... I may start with the top rail section to make room and then move to the lower rail.... but may just have it all done by the time I do my next batch... it all just depends on time.

My current panel:

What I aspire to:

20221215_043917small.jpg
 Description:
My Current Panel
 Filesize:  51.73 KB
 Viewed:  7344 Time(s)

20221215_043917small.jpg

50A Panel Din Rails 2022-12-15 084828small.jpg
 Description:
50A DIN Rail Panel
 Filesize:  38.29 KB
 Viewed:  7344 Time(s)

50A Panel Din Rails 2022-12-15 084828small.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is what our 50A 30+ gallon pre-assembled panels look like now. All of these parts are available in our shop.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
Slower and confusing? That's interesting....

For someone whos new to electronics. Hard to follow as the parts are all lined up on a rail so flow is harder to see sometimes. Then special tools are often required as many DIN rail components do not accept spade or ring type terminals, so wire ferrules must be first be attached to stranded wires using a wire ferrule crimper. Because of this DIN rail tends to take longer to build for those who has never used it before. We're happy to ship any of our kits with DIN rail parts but always confirm with the customer first that they're comfortable and have the right too. Everyone else has been perfectly happy and finds the regular bolt mount kits easier to assemble.

Functionality and quality of our DIN rail vs our standard bolt mounted parts are the same. There is no difference. With the panel closed and in use the brewer has no idea what style of components are used inside.

Jerz wrote:
The only thing I'm wondering is if I should put a power block between the shunt and the SSR's since it's such a pain having two #6 under one screw.

Few devices allow for two #6 like that so best to use a power block if in doubt.

Kal

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! That is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for posting! I'm going to redo my list!
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... I decided to go with the previous din rail design since it more resembles what I already have. I also prefer all of the heater element stuff on the lower rail and think it'll be easier to preassemble the rails and just put them in place using a good portion of the existing wiring. Thanks for sharing that new pic!

I'm brewing a Kolsch in the morning! Gotta get ready for St Paddy's day!

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
Things are starting to look better now... I realized that the other side of the brewery needs a bathroom so I need to consolidate a little more. I'm liking the unitanks in front of the window; just need to block the sun from hitting the site glass at the bottom. I also need an 18" deep x 48" table next to the sink and another 24" x 48".

I assume that's a glycol chiller between the left and middle unitanks... is it noisy? I'd really love to go to a setup like that down the road, but wondered about the noise.

For now I'll get as much mileage as possible out of etched glass carboys, chest freezers, Fermwraps, and my fermentation panel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: