Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Spam posts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Spam posts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is there anyway to alert spam posts? I noticed two today....is there anyway members can delete them? (sorry, not forum savvy at all Sad )

......and *poof* they're gone Thumbs Up
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Kal gets tired of those popping up. It seems to happy somewhat regularly these days...
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nuke them myself. I can promote someone to moderator to help out but there's frankly so few of them that it's probably less risky that I just nuke 'em myself. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I nuke them myself. I can promote someone to moderator to help out but there's frankly so few of them that it's probably less risky that I just nuke 'em myself. Wink

Kal

Maybe there should be a 5 question quiz that must be taken before gaining access to the forum? Question

I just saw we have another yahoo that posted...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjofus1959 wrote:
Maybe there should be a 5 question quiz that must be taken before gaining access to the forum? Question

There's already a few levels of validation required (both CAPTCHA and questions). Log out and try re-registering to see. I change the question every few weeks (just did) so that auto-spamming software doesn't have the Q/A combination in the database.

Spamming software is smart and automated and will get around anything given enough time and horsepower. Some of the spamming software keeps records of questions/answers that work so the next spammer using their software gets in fast and automatically. Spam posts are often starting to look like they're legit because they automatically scan the text and post snippets of the same thread so it looks like it's relevant so that the mods don't see it and nuke it.

Some don't post at all but instead start privately PM'img the users with spam, so I had to put something in place here that doesn't allow you to PM until you've got at least 5 public posts.

Some forums don't allow the first "X" posts by a new user to go through without moderators verifying them. This creates a lot of work for mods and delays in posting so I don't like that, but some forums don't like the idea at all of any spam being posted so they do this.

Spamming is brutal.

Long story short: It's impossible to 100% stop it without some sort of human intervention. It's a balancing act between annoying real people and stopping spammers. I think it's probably already too cumbersome to register so I don't want to add anything more. For every spam post you see here (there are not many) there are 1000's of spammers who's registration failed and were not able to post. I see it in the logs.

mrjofus1959 wrote:
I'm sure Kal gets tired of those popping up. It seems to happy somewhat regularly these days...

Yup. But to try and stop 100% of spammers would mean putting together quite rigid security such that basically nobody would want to register and/or the amount of work done on our end to manage it would be 10 times higher. It's a balancing act and I think the current balance works well. I don't want to spend an hour a day on spam control nor do I want to pay someone to do it. Having to spend 60 seconds once and a while nuking a spammer or two is less work than more rigid alternatives that wouldn't let any spam posts be seen.

Nuking spammers is just a necessary evil. There's no way to stop it 100% just like there's absolutely no 100% surefire way to stop from getting spam email.

Kal

Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now I feel bad because you spent more time typing your response than it takes to kill a spammer's account! Cool
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. These questions come up every few months on my two forums so you guys aren't the first to ask. Wink

Kal

silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the five question deal.. like "where does the wire on post #9 on the PID lead to?"

Silverspoons
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
I like the five question deal.. like "where does the wire on post #9 on the PID lead to?"

Not sure if you were joking, but a lot of people come to the forum to ask questions... exactly like that! A bit of a catch-22. Wink

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Kal, not knowing what it takes to host a forum, I was just thinking their might be a way to lessen the hassle of your having to deal with it. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam's a pain but I think what I do today is probably the easiest. Hopefully people don't mind a spam post or two being up for a few hours from time to time.... gives people something else to read about other than beer. Wink

Kal

silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
silverspoons wrote:

Not sure if you were joking, but a lot of people come to the forum to ask questions... exactly like that! A bit of a catch-22. ;)

Kal

Definitely kidding..

Silverspoons
cbastian81

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like spam
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: