Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Transporting beer in kegs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Transporting beer in kegs. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I live in Oklahoma and am going to visit lots of family in Florida for Thanksgiving. I keg my beer. We are going to fly for the trip. Does anyone have an idea for getting "kegged and ready to drink" beer to Florida?
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed ex or ups. It's going to cost you though!
Next option is to get creative.
Do you have any buddies who are over the road drivers? Owner-orator? If they drive down that way, you could have you're family or friends meet up to make the trade. That way, it could be in the fridge prior to you getting there.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC its technically illegal to ship Beer(esp pressurized beer) via any mailing service. That said i know people do it, just understand there is a risk and penalties can be involved including losing your brew. i honestly think youd be better off talking to a airlines and paying the money to check them in a big well padded bag.

2c
kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... is it already carbonated? Otherwise I think the flopping around is going to turn it into a big fizzing keg o beer and will probably break any seals.

Then it will take a while for it to settle again. If it's not filtered, it will get stirred up and cloudy and will take a good cold crash and settling to clear up.

Personally, I don't think the expense, hassle and risk would be worth it.

That's why it's HOME brew... drink it at home.

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the problem with mucking up the beer if it wasn't filtered going into the keg. I recently had to roll my keezer across the street to store it in a neighbor's garage while we finished ours. Once I brought it back I had to wait a couple days and pour over half a pint to get clear beer again...
View user's photo album (6 photos)
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the problems. Guess the relatives are going to have to come for a visit!
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that. The problem for me was the beer got shook up and took a few days to settle out. I brought one of my kegerators on a fishing trip with 3 kegs and had a lot of foam (way to much). I brought over half the beer home after the trip. We had plenty of other beer to drink but I considered it a big failure.

Do what I do when I travel, Find a few local Brew Pubs and expand your beer experience.

Hope this helps, Castermmt Mug

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys talked me into it. Won't do it. However, this past weekend I transported 2 small 2.5 gallon party kegs and a CO2 tank to an Octoberfest party with some friends. They were a big hit. Wasn't that far of a drive so not a problem. Nice to know that they loved the beer. I brought a Blonde and the Weizen. Both kegs came back empty!
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've since learned that we can knock the Co2 down by doing this start looking at the 7 minute mark to see what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk79UYGmAk8
I use some swivel flare fittings on my CO2 and liquid lines, so what I did was swap the CO2 in (white) with a Liquid out (Black) at the end of the CO2 hose. If you try to do what this guy does you will have a bitch of a time removing the white coupler off the Beer out post and risk damaging the coupler. I don't know why he just didn't swap his out because he has the same fittings I use.

Hope This Helps, Castermmt Drunk

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: