Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian River Pliny The Younger Triple IPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We have 10g of this fermenting right now. Came in a little low at 1.086. After cleaning the BK the damn hop shot oil was stuck to the sides so I filled the kettle up with water, added a lot of pbw and heated it up. Worked great. Split the batch between US-05 and WLP090 and hoping it attenuates low.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadie wrote:
Split the batch between US-05 and WLP090 and hoping it attenuates low.

Let me know what you think of the difference. I've heard good things about WLP090 - I picked up a few vials recently to try out in a split batch of whatever AIPA I make next...

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
v-twin

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am drinking this now (June 17th), brewed back on May 10th. This beer is just as I remember Pliney the Younger back a few months ago, Incredible! Followed the recipe to a "T". Hit 1.090 OG, 1.013 FG. I didn't notice such a mess in my boil kettle. But I attribute that to the fact I whirlpool during my chilling for 15mins, which must help keep the hop oils in suspension and not on the walls of my kettle.
I listened to an old presentation Vinnie gave on their fermentation schedule and followed that. This method has given me the best hop aroma with "my system"
NOTE: I use a glycol chilled Brewhemoth conical fermenter
01. (14 days) Fermentation (initial 68F, last 2 days increased to 70F) - NOTE:Russian River ferments for 7 days... it took me 14 days...
02. (1 day) Seal Fermenter
03. (2 days) drop temp to 52F (Russian river only drops temp to 60F these days)
04. Drop yeast (I think this really helps in hop aroma, at least with my experience. No yeast latching on to the precious hop oils as they drop out ;o) )
05. Set temp to 70F
06. (4 days) Dry hop #1 (swirl daily)
07. (4 days) Dry hop #2 (swirl daily)
08. (4 days) Dry hop #3 (swirl daily)
09. (4 days) Dry hop #4 (swirl daily)
09. (2 days) Crash to 32F
10. Drop remainder yeast & Hops
11. Transfer to keg
12. Keg #1 (2 days) Carbonate with MoreBeer carbonation stone
13. Keg #2 set to desired pressure for carbonation level

Every recipe that I have brewed based on Kal's recipes have turned out excellent!!

Thanks Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Enjoy the Younger! Reading your experience makes me want to brew it again...

Kal

disirk

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tapped this guy last night. Having never had the real thing I really can't do a comparison. However, I can say this is one of the best beers I've brewed to date.

Like Kal, I was thinking what a PITA this beer is to make. Once you taste it you forget how much work went into it, and how much mess it made Smile

Thanks Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're enjoying it disirk! (And thanks again for signing up as a Lifetime Club Member to help support our forum and site!)

Kal

Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of three beers we served at a local festival yesterday. Didn't quite kick the keg but it was well received amongst the IPA lovers. After the last dry hop I gelatin'd the beer and found that 70% of the hop aroma had been stripped out, therefore I did the last two dry hops again for a total of six dry hops and it came out great.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about the gelatine comment. Did you have some that wasn't gelatine'd to compare against? It could be that some oxidation got in and/or the dry hopping simply faded?

You have me wondering however so I think on my next IPA or DIPA I'll only use gelatine on one of the two kegs and try and keep everything else the same to see if I notice any difference. I think it would be an interesting experiment. Next big hoppy one I have in the pipeline will likely be Firestone Walker Double Jack (link: http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/double-jack) that's ~9.5% ABV and x4 dry hopped so that should fit the bill well.

Kal

disirk

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, I'm about to tackle this one again. I think I can do even better than my first go. I do have one quick question. You mention that if you are having attenuation problems to put the corn sugar in post-boil (I'm assuming after fermentation of the wort is nearing completion). The question is, do you do this yourself, or do you not have issues attaining the attenuation levels even with adding the corn sugar to the boil?

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my notes, I actually added 1.5 lbs in the boil and then 1.5 lbs after 4 days of fermentation (the SG had dropped to 1.026). My beer finished at 1.008.

I aerated for ~2 mins with my Fizz-X as I always do, pitched, then aerated again ~10 hours later the same way.

Kal

Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Interesting about the gelatine comment. Did you have some that wasn't gelatine'd to compare against? It could be that some oxidation got in and/or the dry hopping simply faded?

You have me wondering however so I think on my next IPA or DIPA I'll only use gelatine on one of the two kegs and try and keep everything else the same to see if I notice any difference. I think it would be an interesting experiment. Next big hoppy one I have in the pipeline will likely be Firestone Walker Double Jack (link: http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/double-jack) that's ~9.5% ABV and x4 dry hopped so that should fit the bill well.

Kal

We did 2 kegs - one with US-05 and one with WLP001. We fermented side-by-side at 65 degrees and noticed a distinct difference in the final product - we didn't like US-05 nearly as much regardless of it being the same strain. Perhaps 65 wasn't an ideal temp for the dry yeast? We went back to only using liquid yeast again. Prior to adding the gelatin we had been sampling all along as we dry hop in keg and had both gas/beer lines connected. After gelatin the beer had definitely lost a HUGE amount of aroma. We dry hop using a SS cylinder lowered gently into the keg on a dental floss string and then purge the oxygen with co2 so definitely not oxidized. After repeating the last 2 dry hops we were good to go again and our aroma was back in a big way. Going to brew a Heady Topper over the coming weekend and will definitely gelatine prior to the dry hop and just deal with the hop haze from the dry hop.

How did your experiment come out?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have been a good experiment but Double Jack is fermented with WLP002 (Fullers yeast) which is so flocculant that you don't need to use gelatin at all (so I didn't).

Kal

DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fellas,
I brewed this beer a couple weeks back and I am almost ready to keg. I have it in a 55 gallon conical fermenter right now. Did anybody filter this beer? Mine looks real cloudy with a lot of hop flakes floating around. Just wondering if I should filter or strain this and how. thanks for any feedback.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gelatin and cold crash on almost all my brews including this one. It should look like the picture Kal posted with the recipe.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same as Castermmt and was satisfied with the results I got doing that with this beer.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gelatine as well. Happy (hoppy?) with the results too.'

Kal

DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely take this advice and do this ASAP. Thanks for the help everybody. I will post results when I get them. Can not wait to try this beer. It was finitely the hardest beer I made. Wasn't difficult, just the beer i took the most time and effort into making it perfect.
spicktacular

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to do this again. Quick question for you Kal. For the 4 dry hop additions....did you remove the first dry hop and add the second. Then remove the second and add the 3rd and so on, or did you just add the second third and 4th and leave them all in for the full 16 days?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always removed before adding the next round.

Kal

huhwha

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw an offer from Northern Brewer for their version of this. The price is roughly $100!

I have everything to make this except for the hopshots. I need to get some and brew this up. I find it interesting that the biggest difference in the recipes is the hopshot quantities. Kal has 16 hopshots to 6 in the Northern Brewer recipe. Given my love for hoppy beers, I think I'll use Kal's recipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: