Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brewing salts question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Brewing salts question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Brewing an IPA this weekend and it will be the first time we are adding brewing salts as we will be using 100% RO water.

If we mash with 10g of water and sparge with say 8g of water (so total of 18g all RO water) and I plug 18g into the spreadsheet to find out what salts I need, then do I add all the salts (for 18g of water) to the mash even though sparging won't be done of course until the very end, or do we add the salts for 10g of water to the mash and the salts for 8g of water to the boil? Is there even a right answer to this - maybe it can be done both ways??
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would treat the waters seperately. if memoery serves the water salts can change Ph and how the mash reacts drastically.
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fejj wrote:
I would treat the waters separately. if memory serves the water salts can change Ph and how the mash reacts drastically.

Yes, pH is affected. The EZ Water spreadsheet has my mash pH at 5.53 with all 18g worth of salts in the mash, which while a little high is in the "acceptable" range according to the spreadsheet.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I treat the strike/mash water separately from the sparge. I usually add acid to the sparge water per Kal's instructions.
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut my water in half with distilled water. I'm brewing a pale ale this weekend and am going to try something new. In the past I have used the EZ water spreadsheet to calculate my salt additions and added salts to the mash and boil according to what the spreadsheet said. The remaining water in the HLT after transferring the measured volume to the mash tun for mashing I would treat with lactic acid to bring to a pH of 6. This has resulted in mash pH that was in the acceptable range but the finished beer at packaging has been finishing around 5, a little high. So this time I'm going to treat all the water in the HLT before transfer to mash tun with lactic acid and get it to a pH of 5.5. I heard Sierra Nevada does this but with phosphoric acid.

Scott
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more worried about "overdosing" the mash with the additives than worrying about the pH of the upcoming brew. I guess any "overdose" of mashing salts will then be diluted by the sparge water so I unless I hear something to the contrary I'm going with it doesn't matter if you dump mash+sparge salts fully into the beginning of the mash or mash with just the salts calculated for the mash water and then add sparge salts to boil kettle. Was just trying to see what others do as we want to take more control over brewing conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: