Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kolsch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
cmkopp11 wrote:
Quick question. How did you calculate your OG and FG values?

To add to the above, OG is function of your mash efficiency and the grain too (as it's related to grain yield). See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/FAQ#What_sort_of_efficiency_do_you_achieve_with_your_setup_

You need to know how your system calculates mash efficiency and all systems will behave differently. So no software can accurately calculate OG blindly.

FG is a function of the grain bill, mash temperature and duration, the yeast used, and how you treat the yeast. There's no accurate way to calculate it in software. It requires experience.

These can be hugely complex subjects - Definitely not quick questions if you want to get into details!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
cmkopp11

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does temperature matter during your Brite step? I was just going to add the DI and gelatin to my two kegs for conditioning. Is that good enough? Is the gelatin necessary if you're cold conditioning for a month?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmkopp11 wrote:
Does temperature matter during your Brite step?

Colder is better, but I'm usually at room temp myself and it still clears well.

Quote:
I was just going to add the DI and gelatin to my two kegs for conditioning. Is that good enough? Is the gelatin necessary if you're cold conditioning for a month?

I'm not sure what you mean by DI. I prefer to have as little gunk in the keg as possible so I add gelatin to the brite and then crystal clear beer goes into the keg. Really up to you.

Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
bamcisman

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your opinion would one wyeast smack pack work well for a three gallon batch of this without a starter? thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamcisman wrote:
in your opinion would one wyeast smack pack work well for a three gallon batch of this without a starter? thanks

Hi!

The original recipe is:

Quote:
Size: 12.0 US gal (post-boil)
6 packs Wyeast 2565 Kölsch liquid yeast (or an appropriate starter to make approximately 636 billion cells)

3 gallons is 1/4 the size, so I'd recommend 1/4 the yeast which is 636/4 = 159B cells. That's about a smack pack and a half, assuming you bought it the day it was manufactured (unlikely).

For complete details on how to make a starter, see: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30668

Cheers!

Kal

sillbeer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to brew this Kolsch on Monday. My LBS only has three GO3 Deiter - Imperial Organic Yeast packs in stock. Each pack has 200 billion cells so I called to reserve them. Has anyone brewed with this yeast before? I will check the date on each pack, hopefully they are fairly recent.

Here is a link to the yeast. https://www.morebeer.com/products/g03-deiter-imperial-organic-yeast.html

I am going to do my water work up and Beersmith tonight. I think my wife will really like this style.

- D
dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tapped this today after conditioning for 2 months. Perfect beer for the hot weather. I was rushed during the kegging process that I forgot to use gelatin so the final product isn’t crystal clear. But the taste is great! I enjoyed this one more than the blonde ale/lager recipe.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it time - it’ll clear. Cheers!

Kal

Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing this today. I only have Canada Malting 2 row. Hallertauer, Escarpment Labs Kolsch yeast.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your brewday! I just tapped a fresh keg of this last night... a video I posted: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvk1ozHn7EO/

Kal

Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just kegged my second back to back Kolsch yesterday. I used Saaz hops - 2.8% AA because that is all I have. I can't seem to get any Saaz aroma/taste. I used Escarpment labs Kolsch yeast. On my second Kolsch I dry hopped with an ounce of Saaz 5 days in the primary before kegging. I realize this may be an odd thing to do, but I finally got some Saaz hop flavour. After gelatin for a few days I will report back the taste results.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampale wrote:
Just kegged my second back to back Kolsch yesterday. I used Saaz hops - 2.8% AA because that is all I have. I can't seem to get any Saaz aroma/taste. I used Escarpment labs Kolsch yeast. On my second Kolsch I dry hopped with an ounce of Saaz 5 days in the primary before kegging. I realize this may be an odd thing to do, but I finally got some Saaz hop flavour. After gelatin for a few days I will report back the taste results.

Hi! Completely up to you how you brew it of course, but a Kolsch doesn't usually have anything (or very little) in terms of hop flavour/aroma as it's a single 60 minute addition. If that's when you added your boil hops, that's why you're not getting much aroma/taste. You'll get mostly just clean bitterness with very little of that saaz 'spiciness'. Dry hopping can get some of the aroma/flavour but again, a Kolsch is not typically dry hopped. Sounds like you're wanting to make a Bo Pils. Wink

Kal

Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Kal. I just wanted something of a noble hop taste. I have made many Kolsch beers in the past and never had this issue at all. The yeast was very clean though. Yea, maybe I want too much out of this beer.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with changing up recipes - enjoy it! It's your beer after all. Adding a dry hop will give you some of the hop flavour you're looking for.

Kal

Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I did get a lot of noble hop aroma. After gelatin it was very clear. It is starting to fade now, but still a little too much of a saaz taste. However, it is still very drinkable.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/kolsch

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing this one again today.

Milling grain: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6oWGUBHrRu/
An hour into the mash: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6qeYQYnfmW/
Boil time!: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6qxIupngsY/
Cleaning MLT: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6q5mzonGV0/
Dumping yeast: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6rDjzKHMoY/
All cleaned up and fermenting: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6rN3Q-HoTN/

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a split batch of this beer, one with wyeast kolsch and the other with Omega Hornindal Kveik. This was really just an experiment using a really delicate beer to see the kveik character. I've brewed this kolsch several times and it's always popular, so I figured worst case I have half a batch. The kolsch I fermented as suggested and the kveik at 95F. The kveik finished really fast, 48 hours or so. Interestingly enough, 100% of people liked the kveik beer better (including me). It's really an interesting yeast. I'd really recommend people play around with it. I think it would work in most beers in place of chino, though it has a little more flavor to it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks for posting Fal. What did people enjoy more?

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for posting Fal. What did people enjoy more?

Kal
I'll try and paraphrase and average their comments. They aren't really "beer snobs" for the most part. The basic consensus was they preferred the crisper, drier, and tart flavor. From my own opinion, the kveik tastes less malty/drier even though it's a comparable final gravity. This helps bring out the very mild hops. The description of the kveik (from Omega) is mango/pineapple profile. This is extremely pronounce during fermentation (I sample at all stages) while there is still excess sugar in the wort. It is very strong in the unfinished beer. After it finishes, it's very mild with a much more a neutral taste with a mild tartness. I think maybe this yeast makes a little more acid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: