Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kolsch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Kolsch Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/kolsch

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:59 pm; edited 48 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this a few months ago and have tapped the second keg. My family and friends love it, so looks like a beer I'll have to brew often. Thanks for the share. Castermmt
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! I have a keg of it 2 months into lagering/conditioning now at 32F and it's really into its prime. Can't wait to tap it!

Kal

OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to the rolling boil! Looks to be a pretty beer!
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Wyeast 2565 and really like it. This is a top of the line Kolsch, your going to love this beer. I'll be brewing this again, soon.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I find you really have to use 2565 to get that specific grainy "kolsch" like taste. My last batch was a split between 2565 and US-05 (Cali chico yeast) and while the US-05 one was fine, it just wasn't as kolsch-like. ... And to put things in perspective, when I switched the keg my wife didn't notice the difference though she tried both types 1 week apart. Tried back to back she did notice the difference. So it's certainly not a night & day difference.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. She liked them both. LOL

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got all the ingredients to brew this beer next weekend...

But I only have 4 pack of Wyest 2565 instead of 6... will this make a huge difference?

I'm asking this because I brewed last Monday the Weizen / Weissbier and it blew well over a gallons on the floor with the correct amount of pack....

thanks
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably be okay. You could make a starter and that would help. Also know that this one is more related to a lager so you won't get the reactivity that an ale would do. This is a slower reaction and about twice the time so you won't get a "blowout". Good brewing.
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlemyre wrote:
I've got all the ingredients to brew this beer next weekend...

But I only have 4 pack of Wyest 2565 instead of 6... will this make a huge difference?

I'm asking this because I brewed last Monday the Weizen / Weissbier and it blew well over a gallons on the floor with the correct amount of pack....

thanks

You should be fine. I use 2 smack packs with a 3 liter starter for 10 gallons and it blows out of the airlock.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, I'll brew this recipe tomorrow, I'll let you know how it comes out.
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys! Know it's late but I hope someone reads this. Gotta make 30 gallons of this this weekend. Have 20 gallon set up. Would it be better to follow the recipe 3 times to net 30 gallons or could it be ramped up to make (2) 15 gallon batches? Now that I write this I don't think I could as my pre-boil amount won't really fit in the kettle. On that note those, if you ramp up a recipe, don't you just double it for a double batch, or is it on an exponential scale?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brew as few times as possible, so do two 15 gallon batches if you can or even bigger.
Correct that to double a batch, double everything. Your brewing software will do this for you too.

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started the Kolsch. Just finished and used for the first time my new grain mill table. Have a 1/2 hp gear motor with reducer on it for about 200 RPM attached to a new Monster Mill 3 roller system with extension hopper. Took a video of it and it worked perfectly! Will try to upload a link and include photos. Kal, feel free to adjust to support links or whatever you need to do. Sometimes the journey is as important as the final spot. This is really fun! Thanks guys!
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am brewing the Kolsch today since it's been such a huge hit (brewed the first batch 3-8-2015). I brought it to my high school homecoming and the 5 gallon keg of Kolsch was gone in about three hours; beer drinkers AND swill drinkers love this which is why I'm brewing another batch today.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a very approachable beer. I brought a bunch of growlers to a function last week and it was popular with basically anyone who likes beer.

Kal

raffeja

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone add wheat to their kolsch? I know you wouldn't catch a German brewer doing that, but I personally like the addition - have been doing ~10%. Any thoughts?
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Lager once or twice Reply with quote

I may try this for my next brew day. Question about process, I assume you'd recommend one lagering period, that could be combined with carbonating. I ask because the instructions mention lagering twice.

"...then raise the temperature to 68F and keep it there for 2-4 days to reduce diacetyl (a buttery flavour produced by some yeasts). It's preferable to lager for 1-2 months at near freezing before packaging.
Rack to brite tank (secondary), crash chill to near freezing (if possible), add 1 tsp of unflavoured gelatin dissolved in a cup of hot distilled water per 5 gallons of beer, and let clear for 2-3 days.
Package as you would normally. I keg and carbonate at around 2.5 volumes of CO2. The beer will improve greatly if kept near freezing for 1-2 months before serving. I use..."

Let us know if you recommend two lagering periods. If this is a typo, feel free to delete my question, and adjust the instructions.

Thanks!

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie
View user's photo album (13 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jengum - I removed the first mention of lagering to avoid any confusion.
Some prefer to lager on the yeast before racking/packaging. I usually do it after packaging (in my case kegging).

Good luck!

Kal

Ashquest

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is pretty easy to make and it tastes good. We have a winner!

Last edited by Ashquest on Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:41 pm; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: