Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating a fermentation chamber
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Heating a fermentation chamber Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have read that there are a variety of ways to warm up a fermentation chamber. Now that it is getting colder here (Oklahoma) would like people to chime in on how they warm up a fermentation chamber? I have a chest style deep freezer now, moving to an upright freezer, with external temperature controller. Cooling is not a problem, what can you use to warm the chamber? Thanks all!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple 40-60W incandescent lightbulb is often enough. Just make sure it's not close to anything as it will get hot and make sure the beer doesn't get hit by the light.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of people having good luck with Aquarium heating elements submersed in a container of water. they can maintain temps fairly consistently with minimal on time.
Jeff
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 40 watt seedling mat in my chest freezer that is outside in a very cold climate. Keeps it at refrig temps all winter long. Something like

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WV010/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0001WV010&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all great ideas. Thanks for the help.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paint can heater will keep the light in check, and keep a bulb safe(r) from breakage...

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=296260#296260
View user's photo album (6 photos)
fireslayer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this stuff in my fermentation chamber and it works great.

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I posted over at HBT a while back. A few months ago I had to change the can over to a non-coated can can and porcelain light socket. I was having some strange smell like heated plastic in the camber. It was the can and/or the plastic lamp holder heating up. All's good now. Very Cheap and easy!

Fermentation Can Heater
http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Fermentation-Can-Heater

I just built one of these this morning (30 minutes total time). I replaced a small lamp with tinfoil over the bulb with this can heater. The lamp was working fine but was very cheap looking. I use a dual stage Love controller and just started using the 16 inch thermowell that enables me to put the temp probe in the center of the fermenting wort, which will give me better temperature accuracy and control. Hope this little tweak helps others brew better beer.
http://www.brewershardware.com/16-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell.html

Update***
After a few weeks using this can heater along with the Thermowell for the temp prob, my temperatures are dead nuts and hold for longer periods before the need for the heater or cooler turning on. So I'm sure I'm saving energy by minimizing temperature swings with this new setup.

Hope this helps, Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just made a "paint can heater" like the links above suggested and was easy to build and keeps temps now spot on. Thanks folks.
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a ferm wrap on our fermenters. Works like a charm.
http://morebeer.com/products/fermwrap-heater.html

You can buy cheaper options like this if you go to a pet store and buy the same type of heating devices that are used for heating up reptile cages.
like this: http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of using a BrewPi Spark controller for temp control.

https://www.brewpi.com/

For heating, has anyone ever used the lasko personal heater?

http://amzn.to/2Cd2q75

thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
For heating, has anyone ever used the lasko personal heater?

http://amzn.to/2Cd2q75

Depending on the size of the fermentation chamber/batch size, you'll probably find that a small heater like that is overpowered. With a temp controller it would work, but would not stay on very long. Most heaters meant for ~5 gallons are usually 20-40W (that heater is 200W).

I used a 23W compact fluorescent bulb myself in my fermentation fridges to take the temp up to 90-95F when brewing a Saison. More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30930
No temp controller at all - I did a test with water at first. A single 23W compact fluorescent bulb was able to take a 5-6 gallons of water up to 90F slowly over a few days which was perfect for the strain I was using (that Saison strain loves really high temps).

I don't brew many beers that require a heater (this was my first in ~30 years) so I didn't want to get a couple of temp controllers and heaters only for 1 batch so I used things I already had. 99% of the temp I'm needing to cool the wort/beer lower than the 70-72F room temp, not heat it.

What are you brewing/what yeast strain? What temp are you trying to get to?

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, I have several recipes that have dual fermentation steps - mostly lagers that start out at 50 deg-f then lager at 32 deg-f (those I don't think I need a heater for). I have an Imperial Stout recipe using Wyeast 1318 London Ale III that starts out at 68 deg-f (20 deg-C) and rises to 73 deg-f (23 deg-f).

thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the ambient temp you're dealing with?

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temp in the basement is 69 deg-f. I've never seen it over 70 deg-f.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ambient is 69-70F it may get as high as 73F during active fermentation. Not sure you need any heat source at all.

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, given that, it doesn't sounds like I need a heat source. I'll take some measurements.
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a dual stage temperature controller for my fermenter (conical). The heating is done through a reptile pad. They're readily available. I'm sure you could grab one at your local pet store or buy one on Amazon.

The reptile pad is mounted around the bottom of my conical but I'm sure you could mount it to whatever type of fermenter you've got. They're relatively inexpensive and work surprisingly well.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of nice inexpensive reptile heating pads available at Amazon: http://amzn.to/2CiUVvv

Kal

Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m thankful this thread was recently revived as I’m in the need of some conical heating since the basement sits st 64F. Tough to do a good D-rest...

kwdriver wrote:
I use a dual stage temperature controller for my fermenter (conical). The heating is done through a reptile pad. They're readily available. I'm sure you could grab one at your local pet store or buy one on Amazon.

The reptile pad is mounted around the bottom of my conical but I'm sure you could mount it to whatever type of fermenter you've got. They're relatively inexpensive and work surprisingly well.

KWDriver, I’m vain and like the SS bling of my conicals and would like to put a heating pad low on the back of my 1/2 bbl SS Brewtech conical. I’d like it out of sight but still doing its job. Do you think a heater like you use would fit the bill? Also hoping it’s a gentle heat that wouldn’t lead to yeast autolysis if the pad is down need the yeast cake... Looking at Kal’s link it looks like most around around 10” x 20” in size. Thanks for the insight. Mug

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: