Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

repackaging dry yeast

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piertous

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: repackaging dry yeast Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I can buy Fermentis US-05 in 450 gr package for 50$. I brew 20 gal bx, so I'll be using about 50 g/bx. I was planning on opening the package, then immediately repackage in 50 g vacuum seal bag. I saw such on Kal site (http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=11) My question is what procedure to do to maximise the viability of the yeast? Does it modify the shelf life the fact that yeast was in presence of oxygen?
Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing special. I weigh out 12g at a time into a coffee filter on my little jewelry scale and just pour it directly into the pouches and seal. The limited oxygen contact time isn't going to do anything (IMHO). Then I store in the freezer. Been doing this for years.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
piertous

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank kal, you store in a freezer ? meaning < 0 Celsius! I didn't know this can be done (yes with a glucose solution).
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I store dry yeast in the freezer at 0F (-17C). This is fine for dry yeast. I think you're thinking about liquid yeasts.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you buy your bulk 05 yeast online? if so where?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen it around on the web somewhere. bricks of US-05, but i believe it was a brewery supply wholesaler. cant remember the name tho. Ask your LHBS if they can order it by the kilo
piertous

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find it from Gilbertson & Page in Montréal, it is a wholesale company but you can buy grain and stuff (min orders of 20 bags of grain)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw that site truck loads only and many forum post, mostly from canada but I'm right in the center of the us and looking for something close

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nothing special. I weigh out 12g at a time into a coffee filter on my little jewelry scale and just pour it directly into the pouches and seal. The limited oxygen contact time isn't going to do anything (IMHO). Then I store in the freezer. Been doing this for years.

Kal

Digging up this old post Kal, but I recently saw you splitting out another batch of US-05. Over the years, you still haven't noticed anything bad or off by not flushing the yeast with C02 or Nitrogen before sealing back up?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! You probably saw me doing this again here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5g3Q3EnJZZ/

No issues at all. Our homebrew club's been splitting yeast like this for ~20 years. Most people don't even reseal like I do - they simply keep the yeast in a jar or ziplock bag. I often go a good ~2 yeast past the "best before" date too. Dry yeast is hardy. I do keep it in the freezer however.

Bricks of dry yeast:

Safale US-05: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/fermentis-safale-us-05-dry-yeast
Saflager W-34/70: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/fermentis-saflager-w-34-70-dry-yeast
Safbrew WB-06: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/fermentis-safbrew-wb-06-dry-yeast
Safale S-04: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/fermentis-safale-s-04-dry-yeast

The first two are really the only two dry yeasts I like and use. (I mostly use liquid however - depends what I'm after).

Foodsaver: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/foodsaver-vacuum-food-sealer

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: