Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Czech Premium Pale Lager
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Czech Premium Pale Lager Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/czech-premium-pale-lager

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 pm; edited 36 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, any chance you can post the file for the recipes? I use "Beersmith 2" and have started using Brewersfriend, both have scaling capabilities that would make it a lot easier to convert the recipes for individual systems. Beersmith can read .BSM and Beer XML files, Brewersfriend can do XML, I noticed your using Beertools pro and it saves as .xml as well.

Thanks, Castermmt

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my recipes are .BTP (Beer Tools Pro) format. I see no option to save as XML (just tried). Mine also have a lot of other 'junk' in them and contain system specific stuff like boil off rate, and so on...

I think it's probably better that people start with a clean slate (or another recipe with all their regular parameters already included) and then just add the ingredients. This way you're not overlooking something and keeping one of my settings by mistake. Should only take 2 minutes to drag and drop the few things that go into recipes. You always need to make changes anyway given that efficiencies will be different, hop AA will be different, etc. The only things important really are the "core" pieces of information which are:

Add these two until you reach the starting gravity specified for your setup's efficiency:
94.1% Weyermann Pilsner malt
5.9% CarapilsŪ/CarafoamŪ

Then add hops at the following times to reach these numbers:

Czech Saaz @ 60 min for ~24.3 IBU
Czech Saaz Hops (@ 30 min for ~11.7 IBU
Czech Saaz Hops @ 10 min for 3.3 IBU
Czech Saaz Hops @ 0 min
Wyeast 2001 Urquell or White Labs WLP-800 Pilsner Lager

I've been tempted to remove all amounts from the recipes and just go with percentages since that's all that matters...

Kal

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works. Thanks, Castermmt

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quick question about the fermentation part of this recipe. I would guess it would be pretty standard for lagers also. When it says to ferment at 53 and then raise the temp for a few days for a rest, it then says it's best to lager near freezing for 1-2 months. Would you just leave it in the primary near freezing for those months and then add gelatin and keg it, or do you have to transfer it to another vessel and take it off the yeast before the layering period?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do either. Technically speaking, it's more correct to lager while the beer's still on the yeast. Keep it there for 2 months near freezing as it helps with the cleanup. Then rack to a brite tank before adding gelatine so that the gelatine has less work to do, hold it still at near freezing for 2-3 days for it to clear, then keg and continue to keep cold at near freezing until you're ready to serve. Generally speaking it's not great to go up/down in temp a lot after packaging. Beer doesn't like that.

Now I don't do exactly that. Wink

After the fermentation and rest is done, I rack off into my 5 gallon "brite tank" glass carboy, add the gelatine, and wait 2-3 days before kegging. The wort rises to room temp during this time - gelatine technically works better at lower temps but I've found room temp to be fine. Always results in a crystal clear beer for me.

I then keg, and then place in my conditioning/lagering fridge set to ~32F to lager for ~2 months at near freezing. I do it this way as it's easier for me to lager in a keg in my 6-keg fridge than to lager in the 5-gallon carboys (brite tanks).

I've been very happy with the results. Part of the reason this works well is because when I do the rest after most of the fermentation is done, I leave the beer on the yeast for a good week (sometimes two) before racking. I want it to be on the yeast for about a week without the gravity changing.

Good luck!

Kal

DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: yeast. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I finally got around to making this lager, it looks yummy. Very easy to make too. I pitched my yeast about a week before, in a 2L starter as my yeast was a little old. Then I cold crashed it and decanted it, i think i may have messed up my decant, I poured it out instead of siphoning. But my question is, since this is my first lager, how long should it take the yeast to start going nuts? I pitched yesterday around 3:30Pm MST, and it is now 8:43 Am MST, and it looks like nothing is happening. Am i being too antsy? I know it takes 1-2 months, so just set me straight please. Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wort's at the recommended low (52-53F) temp then things are really slooooow to get started and slow to show much of any action. The yeast will never go nuts and can take a good couple of days before showing any signs of activity.

Kal

Super SS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
You can do either. Technically speaking, it's more correct to lager while the beer's still on the yeast. Keep it there for 2 months near freezing as it helps with the cleanup. Then rack to a brite tank before adding gelatine so that the gelatine has less work to do, hold it still at near freezing for 2-3 days for it to clear, then keg and continue to keep cold at near freezing until you're ready to serve. Generally speaking it's not great to go up/down in temp a lot after packaging. Beer doesn't like that.

Now I don't do exactly that. Wink

After the fermentation and rest is done, I rack off into my 5 gallon "brite tank" glass carboy, add the gelatine, and wait 2-3 days before kegging. The wort rises to room temp during this time - gelatine technically works better at lower temps but I've found room temp to be fine. Always results in a crystal clear beer for me.

I then keg, and then place in my conditioning/lagering fridge set to ~32F to lager for ~2 months at near freezing. I do it this way as it's easier for me to lager in a keg in my 6-keg fridge than to lager in the 5-gallon carboys (brite tanks).

I've been very happy with the results. Part of the reason this works well is because when I do the rest after most of the fermentation is done, I leave the beer on the yeast for a good week (sometimes two) before racking. I want it to be on the yeast for about a week without the gravity changing.

Good luck!

Kal

Hi Kal

Do you leave the beer at the rest of 65F for the 1 - 2 weeks after fermentation is complete or only for 2 - 4 days then drop it back down?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 2-4 days.

From the recipe:

"Ferment at 53F until approximately 2-5 points from final gravity, then raise the temperature to 65F keep it there for 2-4 days to reduce diacetyl (a buttery flavour produced by some yeasts)."

Kal

captacl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have a fermentation issue with this one. I haven't used a hydrometer to verify but I took a refractometer reading and it looks like the gravity only dropped to 8.9 Brix which according to beersmith equates to 1.025. If that's the case I think its a bit high. I probably could just let it go and see how it tastes after lagering. I seriously doubt I under pitched the yeast. I did a two stage starter that according to www.yeastcalculator.com should have been enough yeast for this batch. I even ended up with only 4.75gal into the fermenter instead of 5.5 gal so I would of had an even higher pitch rate then planned. I took the recommendation from the Brewing Classic Styles book and dropped the wort to 44 a then pitched the starter. Over two days I had the controller slowly bring the temp up to 54 and let it finish fermenting at that temp. He claims this eliminates the need for a diacetyl rest. This was brewed on 1/7 so its been 18 days. Is it worth the trouble and expense to through another smack pack of Wyeast in or should I just move on.

I was thinking if I just move on should I crash chill without gelatin so there is some yeast remaining to clean up the beer further or will that not make a difference. I would then transfer from the conical to the keg and lager it for a while. I would then add the gelatin to the keg before I go to carb it up for about a week before serving. The first pour would be probably be cloudy but I am ok with that. Any thoughts?

Anthony
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do the 2-4 days @ 65f diacetyl rest? This will drop the FG as well .

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not do the diacetyl rest since I was was following the procedure mentioned in brewing classic styles. It's probably to late to do that now right?
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why it would be too late to try it - it shouldn't hurt the beer at all. Maybe it's too early and coffee hasn't hit my brain yet, but I think the worst case scenario is "nothing happens" and maybe you end up with a buttery beer.

You do need to measure with a hydrometer though. A refractometer reading is going to be distorted by the alcohol present in the beer and cause an incorrect (upward) swing in your gravity rating. You measured 8.9 brix... but if I use one of the refractometer correction calculators out there, that really means like 1.020, not 1.025, which puts you closer to the "ballpark."
captacl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know the refractometer readings are wildly sewed with alcohol present. Since I don't have much beer to waste with this batch I was just going to take 1 hydrometer reading right before kegging.
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha.

Still, I would try increasing the temperature up for a few days. It can't hurt, but it might help.
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vote is in, Kick it up to 65F and let the yeast finish their job!!! Drunk

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All lagers I've ever brewed, I used the diacetyl rest to ensure the yeast cleaned up the buttery diacetyl off flavor. It can't hurt.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical, I think I may have panicked for no reason. I am guessing I didn't take enough of a sample to clear out the racking arm in the conical. I just took another small sample and it measured at 7.0 which beersmith is putting at 1.013 on the SG. Didn't taste much of a buttery aftertaste either. The sample looked completely different and tasted completely different as well. Because I started the fermentation at only 44 degrees I probably don't need the diacetyl rest after all. Since I already set the controller for it I will let it rise to 64 for a couple days and just crash chill it. One of these days I will learn to relax and stop panicking.
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewed a 12 gal batch yesterday. system worked FLAWLESS as usual. pitched a decanted 9 litre starter of wlp800 and aerated with pure 02 and its bubbling away 24 hours later at 53f . thanks kal
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: