Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
rickysa wrote:
For the starter, I've got the 2L Erlenmeyer and stir plate...how many smack-packs/vials should I go with??

Start with a single smack-pack/vial. Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but the only point of a stir plate is to save money. You do that by only having to buy a single smack-pack/vial and working up the culture to whatever volume you need instead of buying multiple smack-packs/vials. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Kal...that's my ignorance question until I've learned more. I'm overwhelmed by all the zeroes at the end of the cell counts at this stage...Having read White's book, I'm still on the early stages of the learning curve and wondered what a ball-park guess as to how many packs might be needed for a brew before I learn for myself!

I thought about setting up a mini lab to grow my own yeast but was discouraged by the feedback from local brewers...we will see!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
Having read White's book, I'm still on the early stages of the learning curve and wondered what a ball-park guess as to how many packs might be needed for a brew before I learn for myself!

Take a look at the recipe - I indicate the recommended number of packs/vials:

kal wrote:
5 packs Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast (or an appropriate starter*)
- OR -
5 vials White Labs WLP051 California V Ale yeast (or an appropriate starter*)

*For hints on how to make a starter see Chapter 6 of How to Brew and Appendix A of Brewing Classic Styles.

You can either pitch packs/vials directly or grow up the equivalent amount from a single pack/vial by using a stir plate. Up to you! I just pitch the right number myself as I find it much easier and I get good bulk rate discounts on White Labs vials.

Quote:
I thought about setting up a mini lab to grow my own yeast but was discouraged by the feedback from local brewers...we will see!

Unless you freeze slants in gelatin, yeast only has a certain lifespan so it's not something you can really stockpile.

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just tapped my latest try with this recipe, very happy with the result!! I was wondering if there is a grain additive that could give the beer more "mouth feel?" Something to give the beer more "chewiness"...hard to describe, I guess, but the beer seems "thin" compared head-to-head with the original.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
Having just tapped my latest try with this recipe, very happy with the result!! I was wondering if there is a grain additive that could give the beer more "mouth feel?" Something to give the beer more "chewiness"...hard to describe, I guess, but the beer seems "thin" compared head-to-head with the original.

What was your final gravity on the beer? If it finishes too dry then it can feel thin. It should finish around 1.012. If you're much below that (make sure your hydrometer is calibrated) then you can try a higher mash temp and/or replacing some of the 2-row with carapils/carafoam.

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta admit that I've been weak on the gravity measurements (Embarassed ), concentrating on the pH and mash temps to minimize tannin production (I just tested the glass of it I'm drinking and got a brix that would be 1.020, if that is legal Smile )

Now that I believe I've ironed out the major production mistakes, I look forward to fine tuning and doing all the fun calculations (chem-major nerd here!!)

I'll have more info on the next batch, and as always thanks for the help Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your final gravity is 1.020? That's even higher! It doesn't taste too sweet? Assuming that your starting gravity was 1.066, that would put the beer at 6% ABV instead of 7% and the bitterness will likely be more pronounced due to the slightly lower ABV.

Kal

wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
...(I just tested the glass of it I'm drinking and got a brix that would be 1.020, if that is legal Smile )

Using a refractometer to measure final gravity can give inaccurate results as the alcohol with throw the reading off. There are formulas to correct the reading, but it can't be used at face value. Using a Hydrometer is the most accurate reading for post fermentation gravity readings.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to pour up another glass when I get home from work to measure with my hydrometer ( Smile ) It definitely isn't sweet and the bitterness doesn't seem to be to stringent...just the hop flavor. Thanks for the feedback!
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like we need more reasons to pour another pint....
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickysa wrote:
I guess I'll have to pour up another glass when I get home from work to measure with my hydrometer ( Smile )

Make sure to completely degass the beer by stirring it very violently first, then compensate for temperature too.

Kal

blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this a few weeks ago and it's VERY nice. Thanks Kal
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! Cheers!

Kal

blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this brew I did appx a month ago. I really like this recipe it's fantastic. Thanks again kal
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Glad to hear you like it!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Valentine's Day Save $5 On Bell's Two Hearted Clone I HEART IPA Ingredient Kit!
(Offer valid 2/14 & while supplies last)

This kit just like the commercial version showcases Centennial Hops. Using Centennial as the bittering, aroma, and dry hop additions gives you a true understanding of how incredible and universal this hop can be. Try it out for yourself and fall in love with this amazing IPA!

Estimated OG: 1.058-1.062
SRM: 5-7
Estimated IBU's: 45-48
Estimated alcohol ABV%: 5.8-6.0%

Be sure to add coupon code: LOVE5 at checkout to SAVE!

Links:

All grain: https://www.morebeer.com/products/heart-ipa-grain-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
Extract: https://www.morebeer.com/products/heart-ipa-extract-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Using our links helps support our site at no additional cost to you - we thank you!

Kal

potasken

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: First brew on Kal clone system. Reply with quote

Being a Michigander and a Bell's fan I selected this Two Hearted clone as my first test brew on the my newly fired up Electric Brewery. I used this recipe but pretty much followed Kal's Brew Day: Step by Step instructions and substituted the Two Hearted clone ingredients. I am very happy with my results. I have the beer in a keg now and just compared it to the real thing. For those who may worry that the dry hopping should be increased, I will say that I can not tell any aroma difference between the clone recipe and the real thing. Taste wise, my brew is very similar to the real deal; I am very happy.

I could improve my process. I was more focused on the first operation of Kal's design as opposed to some of the brewing details. For example I did not add any Irish moss, whirlfloc tabs, or gelatin to deal with clearing the beer up. So, my beer has haze. Also, I did not have a water report for by baseline and did not do any water adjustments. I now have a report from Wards and intend on tweeking the water for the Deschutes Black Butte Porter clone I am brewing this weekend. I am new to kegging and have to learn a bit about how to properly hit the desired carbonation levels.

I have not yet looped back to get the volt and amp meters working. Sooner or later I will get past that.

Thanks Kal for your design and posted recipes to brew.

Ken...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Ken! Glad to hear you're enjoying the setup and the resulting beer(s) from it! What was your water report like? I can let you know how far 'off' you are and how much of a difference it may make if you follow our water adjustment article as well.

Cheers!

Kal

potasken

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About my water... I am on a well and sampled the water after my water softener. My result have me at a high pH, high bicarbonate, and high Sodium. I think some of these can be best dealt with by diluting with distilled or RO water; also acid additions to fix the pH. I am considering getting a lab test on the non-treated water. Ultimately I believe I will install a RO system for my brewing water. I am completely new at worrying about water so I am right at the bottom end of the learning curve.

Here are some of the relevant numbers from my test results.

pH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 360

ppm
Sodium, Na 136
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 1
Magnesium, Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 3
Sulfate, SO4-S 6
Chloride, Cl 52
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 279
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 231
Total Phosphorus, P 0.01
Total Iron, Fe 0.02
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I would not use water coming out of a water softener for brewing. The main concern is that the sodium (Na) level may be too high. Typical brewing range is 0-50 ppm. Yours is 136.

From my water adjustment guide: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

Quote:
Can I use water from a water softener for brewing?

Maybe. Do not confuse soft water with water that's been passed through a water softener. They are not the same thing. Soft water is simply a term to describe water that is low in minerals. A water softener on the other hand replaces minerals like calcium and magnesium that we want in our beer (to varying degrees) with sodium which we want to limit in our beer as lower concentrations tend to produce a cleaner flavour. Too much sodium may result in an unpleasant metallic/bitter aftertaste. We do not recommend using water that's been through a water softener to brew beer, especially if your untreated water is very hard. The harder the water, the more sodium that is required to treat the water, the more sodium that ends up in your beer. If you choose to use water that's been passed through a water softener, we recommend having it analyzed so that the sodium level can be determined. This should be done every time the water softener is adjusted.

Quote:
Sodium (Na): Rounds out flavours and accentuates sweetness. Lower concentration tends to produce a cleaner flavour. May taste salty above 150 ppm and harsh/sour above 250 ppm. Typical brewing range is 0-50 ppm.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: