Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Bell's Two Hearted Ale Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/bells-two-hearted-ale

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:16 pm; edited 33 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I am going to brew this one this weekend if my Honey-Dos allow me. Have some friends wanting some hoppy beers.
jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I made 10 gals of this Two Hearted and split the batch with WYEAST 1272 and Harvested Two Hearted yeast.

Two Hearted is my favorite beer that I don't brew myself. However, this recipe negates any reason to "buy" Two Hearted ever again! Excellent clone.

Now excuse me ... I have some heavy drinking to do.

Jerry

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryt wrote:
Two Hearted is my favorite beer that I don't brew myself. However, this recipe negates any reason to "buy" Two Hearted ever again! Excellent clone.

Pick up some from time to time anyway to thank them for their wonderful beer - if breweries didn't make stuff like this, we wouldn't be making this hoppy IPA today!

Kal

jerryt

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll always support Bell's. I met my wife in Kalamazoo! Smile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys done a side by side taste test
on this recipe? I've seen the recipe all over the Web but the hop schedule seems really low. I usually drop at least 8 to 10 oz in my IPAs.

Edit: I'm talking 6 gallon batch
Tripel

Drinking: Winter Wit, Kolsch, Flemish Red, Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:

"The bottle features a picture of a rainbow trout which strikes most people as odd when you first see it. Someone perusing the aisles at their favorite beer store is liable to think that this is some strange marketing attempt at making a fish flavored beer. I sometimes wonder how much more they would have sold (if any) had the label been different..."

This is no doubt a function of a regional beer gaining national recognition. I lived in the UP and Northern Lower for ~14 years. Understood what this referred to instantly. Great beer.

Thanks for the recipe Kal!

two hearted.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.14 KB
 Viewed:  75498 Time(s)

two hearted.jpg

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this and I'm not a huge IPA fan. I'm more a stout and Belgian fan. Either way, this was an easy recipe and I thought this was BETTER than the store bought Two Hearted Ale. 10 gallons only made it 4 weeks without any major gatherings at my house. Not one person didn't like this beer.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the beer turned out well Fal! It's definitely a classic (and a simple one to brew at that).

Kal

SkiCub

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never gone through a 5 gal batch so quickly (mostly by myself). This is one of my new favorites. It's so well-balanced, even my non-IPA drinking friends enjoyed this one.
Thanks Kal!
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it! I'm surprised however that even your non-IPA drinking friends enjoyed it as it's pretty hop forward. I still haven't found an IPA that my wife will touch with a 10 foot pole... Wink

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the 2 oz dry hop, is that 2 oz total, as in 1 oz in each carboy? or is it 2 oz in each carboy (4 oz total)?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ingredients are for the total batch size (12 gallons). How you split up your wort for fermentation/conditioning is completely up to you and I don't make any assumptions around that as everyone brews differently.

Good luck!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the other two-hearted recipes i have seen call for doubly that hop quantity for dry hopping. i assume yours is good with the 2 oz? ever tried/thought about dry hopping with more?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
most of the other two-hearted recipes i have seen call for doubly that hop quantity for dry hopping.

Do you have any links to these recipes? I'd like to see them.
Quote:
i assume yours is good with the 2 oz? ever tried/thought about dry hopping with more?

Yes. Very good. Like the commercial version. Never found the need for more.

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/bfITU9X

above is from bell's brewers, from zymurgy. scaling to ten gallon, they dry hop with over three times as much as your recipe but also have way less hops in the boil.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those recipes. I remember doing a lot of research into the different ones available and disregarding those as not entirely correct. Unfortunately I don't remember the reasons, but it often has to do with scaling from production levels to smaller homebrew levels and how things work differently. Moving late addition hops to dry hopping is often one thing that's done as late additions in the giant commercial setups tend to keep boiling for 30-60 mins longer than at home given the thermal mass of the setup.

I suggest brewing both and seeing which you prefer! Wink

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I remember those recipes. I remember doing a lot of research into the different ones available and disregarding those as not entirely correct. Unfortunately I don't remember the reasons, but it often has to do with scaling from production levels to smaller homebrew levels and how things work differently. Moving late addition hops to dry hopping is often one thing that's done as late additions in the giant commercial setups tend to keep boiling for 30-60 mins longer than at home given the thermal mass of the setup.

I suggest brewing both and seeing which you prefer! Wink

Kal

oh for sure. i suspect the beers will be good either way, just comes down to preferences. i already have a batch fermenting in two carboys right now, maybe i'll hop with one ounce in one of them (to match your recipe) and then put, say, 2 oz in the other carboy.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it turns out!

Kal

rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having my first success in 246,736 attempts this week Very Happy I'm ready to go again!

For the starter, I've got the 2L Erlenmeyer and stir plate...how many smack-packs/vials should I go with??
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: