Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Bell's Hopslam Imperial IPA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Bell's Hopslam Imperial IPA Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/bells-hopslam-double-ipa

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:36 pm; edited 35 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal - did you actually make this one?

Has anyone personally drank it?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course! I don't post any recipes I haven't personally made myself that worked out well.

I've made it twice now, first time on Apr 7, 2012 (batch #140) and then again on Dec 9, 2012 (batch #150), with slight alterations between batches. I've tried the commercial beer as well and liked mine better (found it fresher).

I've personally drank it myself, along with many other hop-head friends. Wink

Kal

snowtiger87

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Honey huh? Reply with quote

So Bell's actually uses honey and not table sugar in the recipe? I suppose they both serve the same purpose - to dry the beer out some.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Honey huh? Reply with quote

snowtiger87 wrote:
So Bell's actually uses honey and not table sugar in the recipe?

That is my understanding.

Quote:
I suppose they both serve the same purpose - to dry the beer out some.

Correct.

It's not uncommon for high gravity beers (IIPAs, Belgians Tripels, Barley wines, etc) to use some amount of 100% fermentables to avoid the final gravity from being too high.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting advertising for Hopslam that puts things in perspective:

This ad confuses me a bit however: 7.2 cases is 24 x 7.2 = 172.8 beers.

Hopslam, according to our recipe is 161 IBU. That would mean that the average light beer they're referring to is only 0.9 IBU? (161 bitterness / 172.8 beers). That can't be right... it's likely off by a factor of 10. Meaning that the recipe here should have 10 times the hops (?)

They say that IBU numbers above 100 are somewhat meaningless and break down above 100, but I would find it hard to believe that Bells uses enough hops to bring Hopslam to the equivalent of 1600 IBU.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 6 pack of Two Hearted Ale. I'm going to culture up the yeast from the dregs. I've got plans for some clones, including Hopslam.
biglakewill

Drinking: Barley Wine

Working on: Weissbeir

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ale is one of the reasons I returned to home brewing. I hope to make this the third brew in my new system.

1. Electric Pale Ale - being dry hoped now

2. Janet's Brown Ale - this weekend if I don't have to travel

3. Hopslam - soon to follow

CaptWill
BlueBridge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe looks great, but isn't Hopslam more like 68 IBU? Bell's has said themselves that it's much lower than people think. Ratebeer.com has it listed at 70 IBU. 161 sounds crazy high.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueBridge wrote:
Recipe looks great, but isn't Hopslam more like 68 IBU? Bell's has said themselves that it's much lower than people think. Ratebeer.com has it listed at 70 IBU. 161 sounds crazy high.

Not sure - I don't place much faith in calculated IBU numbers once you get above 50-60, especially when there's lots of late hops and processes like FWH or steeping.

Looking at the recipe again in beer tools pro, I realize that this software treats FWH as a full 60 min boil when in fact in the "real world" a FWH adds bittering similar to a ~20 min addition. This drops the IBU down to the 140's.

Then there are a huge load of late hops in this and depending on which IBU curve you use for calculations, the numbers can vary greatly.

I've seen clone recipes with IBUs that range from 93 to 160. These are all "calculated" IBUs. If you are to send this beer to lab it'll actually measure a lot lower as all bets are off with anything over 50-60, and definitely over 100.

I basically don't care or place any stock in IBU numbers for any very hoppy beers like a DIPA.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
This ad confuses me a bit however: 7.2 cases is 24 x 7.2 = 172.8 beers.

Hopslam, according to our recipe is 161 IBU. That would mean that the average light beer they're referring to is only 0.9 IBU? (161 bitterness / 172.8 beers). That can't be right... it's likely off by a factor of 10. Meaning that the recipe here should have 10 times the hops (?)

They didn't claim 172.8x IBUs, but "amount of hops." Since there aren't any actual hops in the finished product, but components extracted from the hops, I take their claim to mean that they use 172.8 times as much in making the beer. A lot of that could be late hop additions for which IBUs are not extracted, but other components (flavor and aroma) are. And the "popular light beer" could be using hop extracts as well, further reducing its "amount of hops." I could argue the extracts should be counted based on the input hops, which will still give a lower amount because the extraction process is more efficient than a boil with wort; should be counted just on the amount of extract; or aren't hops at all.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points foomench - that's probably exactly where it comes from.

I don't doubt that HopSlam has a ton more hops in it than a typical light beer - just wasn't sure on where the math comes from.

Kal

BlueBridge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rack to brite tank (secondary), crash chill to near freezing (if possible), add 1 tsp of unflavoured gelatine dissolved in a cup of hot distilled water per 5 gallons of beer, and let clear for 2-3 days

Can you clarify your crash chilling process? I notice you do this in several recipes. How long do you hold it in the brite tank at this temperature? You add the gelatine during this time?

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly in the steps outlined:

1. Rack to brite tank (secondary)
2. Crash chill to near freezing (if possible)
3. Once near freezing, add 1 tsp of unflavoured gelatine dissolved in a cup of hot distilled water per 5 gallons of beer
4. Let clear for 2-3 days

I don't normally do (2). I normally skip it and do it all room temp, but doing it near freezing will help it clear faster.
When I do do (2), I hold near freezing with the gelatine until clear. Usually 2-3 days is all that's needed. After that I keg.

Always purge any vessel with CO2 before racking too, to avoid oxidation.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
BlueBridge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Exactly in the steps outlined:

1. Rack to brite tank (secondary)
2. Crash chill to near freezing (if possible)
3. Once near freezing, add 1 tsp of unflavoured gelatine dissolved in a cup of hot distilled water per 5 gallons of beer
4. Let clear for 2-3 days

I don't normally do (2). I normally skip it and do it all room temp, but doing it near freezing will help it clear faster.
When I do do (2), I hold near freezing with the gelatine until clear. Usually 2-3 days is all that's needed. After that I keg.

Kal

Thanks! I was thinking maybe you just crash it down to near freezing, and then let it rise back up to room temp on it's own. Nevermind.
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: yum yum Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a six pack of this years HopSlam.

A customer came into the local homebrew shop I work at and let me know that the ABC Liquor down the street got some in.
After the customer left, I put up a sign "went to grab lunch be back in 15 min" and drove down to the store. I bought a six pack. There was only one case left.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fellow brewers! I had the pleasure of brewing 12 gallons of Kal's Hopslam clone about a month ago, and I have to say that in all my years of brewing, it is the best batch, hands down, that I have ever brewed!

I followed the recipe (including adjusting the my water) and the final product was simply amazing: Wonderful piney, dank, citrus, grapefruit on the nose, amazingly full body with a true "hop slam" on the palate, and a surprisingly dry finish for such a big beer. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Kal... this one is a winner!

I took some pictures of my brew day and my system, including an awesome shot of my hop screen with a mountain of hop sludge on it post brewing! The system worked like a champ (although my efficiency was a bit lower, I'll have to dial it in a bit). You'll see that I'm using a pseudo-clone of Kal's system, but I am using a rims tube (mounted vertically on the left side of my stand) to control mash temp. If you stop by my page, just scroll down a bit and you'll see my post about my hopslam brew day. (Kal, I hope it's okay to post a link.)

https://www.facebook.com/PineGroveBrewWorks
Viper

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What domestic 2-row do you recommend? Pale Malt, Briess Pale Malt, Malteurop? I am new to this and would really like a close copy of this beer.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viper wrote:
What domestic 2-row do you recommend? Pale Malt, Briess Pale Malt, Malteurop? I am new to this and would really like a close copy of this beer.

Any low colour (~2L) 2-row will work. Any subtle differences will be completely lost in the hops. Note that most malt is 2-row so don't get confused with the names and buy 'pale malt' as that's usually slightly darker. Get something that they're actually calling 2-row or domestic 2-row like.

Any of the ones linked to here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Domestic-2-row-malt

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Viper

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: