Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Using gelatin to clear beer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxerhouse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Using gelatin to clear beer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Can the gelatins be added after a keg has been carbonated, and chilled.?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

You may get a pint or two of 'sludge' the first time you tap the keg after the gelatine has been given a few days to do its work, but after that it'll be clear.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
boxerhouse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
Really enjoy your web site and the info provided.
Also have question in regards to using 1/2 barrel kegs. How do you fill the keg with beer then carb. I heard that you need to take out the reverse flow ball in the sanke tap, how? What are the steps to fill and carb a 15.5 sanke keg. Any help or direction would be helpful, i have seen several ideas on how to remove the tube but no info on filling using the sanke tap.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used anything other than 5 gallon corny kegs - sorry.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you sanitized the keg but please be VERY careful with them - a brewer's assistant died at Redhook in Portsmouth, NH last year cleaning a keg.

Two ideas come to me:
1) Can you add beer in the out tube and purge the air with the air tube? (That's how I fill my cornies).
2) Take out the spear and fill it there.

Carbing is just like carbing a corny - put it on pressure and wait.
sigsegv

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
Not sure how you sanitized the keg but please be VERY careful with them - a brewer's assistant died at Redhook in Portsmouth, NH last year cleaning a keg.

That specific incident apparently involved a plastic keg connected to a keg washer operating at a pressure exceeding what the keg was rated at. Found an interesting read about exploding plastic kegs here: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121021/GJNEWS_01/121029899

In general, there are always risks of lethal failure in any closed high pressurized system. Make sure you understand the pressure ratings of the parts in the system and follow all proper safety protocols - don't exceed vessel pressure ratings, employ appropriate functional PRV's, use blast shields to protect operators, etc.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes - Fosters finally prints something resembling journalism!

(NH Native here Smile )

EDIT: Thanks for the link!
boxerhouse

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Last night I broke down a old sanke coupler and there is a reverse flow ball in the beer out tube. I assume this would be taken out if you were to fill thru the liquid out tube. Then how do you carb the keg? if you add co2 thru the gas in tube wont it just push the beer out thru the out tube. I guess you could put a tap on the liquid out to hold co2 in keg?
Help?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the spear to clean and fill and then pressure with CO2 into the keg. You would need to make sure the output on the tap is closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: