Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Modern Sliding door hardware - recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Modern Sliding door hardware - recommendations? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This one's a long shot, but there are lots of smart guys here so I thought I'd ask...

We want to install a sliding "barn style" sliding door at the foot of the basement stairs. The door will be custom wood (that part is easy) but we're having problems finding reasonably priced hardware to support it.

Here's the style of hardware we like:

Link: http://www.kncrowder.com/slidingdoor/crt101.php

The problem is the price of the hardware: ~$2200 MSRP. Even with a contractor discount it doesn't get into the realm of what seems reasonable. While it does look well made, there doesn't seem to much to it to warrant such a massive price so we figure it's mostly high priced as it's very low volume as these things are "in" right now.

Slightly cheaper at around ~$1250 MSRP:

Link: http://www.barndoorhardware.com/tubular-track-door-hardware/oden.html

Still fairly expensive for what you get however.

Even cheaper still at around ~$450 MSRP:

Link: http://rusticahardware.com/ultramodern-barn-door-hardware/

This one however is starting to look really cheap. There doesn't seem to be any sort of sealed bushings, rubber stopper, or anything that would warrant such a price even at $450. Looks like a metal wheel on a bolt, above a steel flat rod. Something I could make in about 20 minutes.

Anyone seen anything or have any recommendations for something that looks more like the one in the first picture but is less expensive (and not junk)?

Thanks!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the industrial look, would it be that hard to pick up some stainless bolts, flatbars, and rollers and fabricate this yourself?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to make it myself, because I really don't have the time and we also wanted to go with the exposed look as long as it looked well made/nice.

I have no issues with paying for quality materials and workmanship. I guess what I'm trying to avoid now is the 'designer pricing' that seems to exist with some of these products.

I have a option I need to think about ... go with a Chinese knockoff off of eBay to avoid the designer markups. They're about $250-300.

Here's an example for $297:

Link: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Some other examples off eBay:

$297: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

$338: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

$318: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

$297: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Considerably cheaper.

You'd be surprised how much stainless stuff is machined in China and then sold in North America without anyone even knowing it (including brewery stuff). I get emails every day from various Chinese manufacturers with their price lists wanting me to resell their stuff.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've gone with my eBay idea and purchased this:

[Cordia] European Modern Stainless Wood Sliding Barn Door Hardware Set

It ships today from New York via UPS. $268USD plus another 25$ for an extra long rail (8' long). Not bad. The seller's sold 114 of them and has a 100% rating. Everyone seems to be happy with the product which is good to see. Seller was very responsive to my questions too.

Much more reasonable than $2200. At 1/10th the cost I'm willing to make some allowances on quality too.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To close the loop:

The barn door hardware arrived today... package was a bit bashed up given that it's 8' long but everything was intact. The long pole wasn't bent or scratched up.

Everything looks reasonably well made and solid. The rollers appear to have bearings too which is nice. A special wrench can be used to loosen/tighten the roll.

The inside of the rollers is indeed black but it looks/feels like some sort of hard plastic or nylon. Not sure what it is. Not soft at all so hopefully won't have much of a 'memory' that causes the rollers to bump when rolled over time.

[EDIT: It's now October 2015 and the thing still works perfectly. No problems at all.]

The 5 wall hangers include shims in case we need to come out farther to avoid a baseboard (if required).

These seem to be uber-popular... the seller said she sold 8 more today!

Link: [Cordia] European Modern Stainless Wood Sliding Barn Door Hardware Set

All in all I'm happy! $268 is better than $2200!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Do you put this on a slight slope to be a self closing door?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
Nice! Do you put this on a slight slope to be a self closing door?

Nope. It'll stay open most of the time. Not sure you can (or should) put these on a slope.

Kal

Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may go with that eBay option also, Kal. I've been doing some apartment reno and the door to my bedroom is extra side yet there's really no space for it to swing open with the new queen sized bed frame I built. I had planned to build a barn style sliding door rail a few months ago but I was having trouble sourcing the rollers either locally or online. Now if anyone has an idea where I could get just the rollers I'm open to that and simply build the rest myself.
View user's photo album (19 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price I'd just go with the premade ones. I doubt you could do it much cheaper (definitely not better) yourself.

Kal

Door_expert

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.contemporary-door-hardware.com. Prices are about $590. Good luck Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door_expert wrote:
Check out www.contemporary-door-hardware.com. Prices are about $590. Good luck Smile

You likely mean this one here for $590:

http://www.contemporary-door-hardware.com/modern-barn-door-hardware/contemporary-barn-door-hardware-770.html

The picture shows something that looks identical to what I purchased, just a shorter rod and less mounting brackets.

There's absolutely no information as to what's included (the product information and additional information) sections are blank. In fact, this is true for all the other $590 setups on this site too. They all look identical to ones I saw on eBay, but on this site there's absolutely no information. I'm not sure why someone would purchase when no information is provided as to what's included.

It's also $590 instead of the $268 I paid as mentioned above. That's more than double the price.

Assuming it is the same or comparable, I'd rather pocket the $322 difference and also buy through eBay as it gives me buyer protection not to mention that the one I purchased had sold 114 of them at the moment I bought with 100% positive feedback. It's a few months later now and they've sold 233 of them and still with 100% customer feedback.

FWIW I've had this door hardware installed for a few months now and it works wonderfully.

Here's what I purchased:

[Cordia] European Modern Stainless Wood Sliding Barn Door Hardware Set

What advantage do you see from buying from the other site you listed? It's not obvious.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Door_expert

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: RUDE Reply with quote

I was trying to help you and you call it spam. That's nice of you. I'll make sure I don't post a reply any longer on any of your posts at least until you learn manners...
Door_expert

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see people here are drunks...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was your first post, coupled with your user name, it appear somewhat of a 'spam' post. I apologize for the comparison. I edited my post and removed those comments.

Please feel free to tell us why you recommend the company that you linked to. While I've already installed my sliding door, your information could benefit our other readers.

Kal

KES

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's convinced me not to never shop there. Thumbs Down
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... he never came back to talk about doors... figures.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebarn did our barn door and we LOVE IT Reply with quote

Rebarn wrote:
Rebarn is an innovative company in Toronto that makes barn door hardware, barn doors and rustic furniture. Please visit us at [url]<removed>[/url]

lifecoach wrote:
Came across this post and had to reply, we have been looking for quality barn door hardware at a reasonable price in Toronto but the ones that we saw were cheap in price and cheap in look. Not the look we were after. I cant say enough about Rebarn. Amazing work, the guy is an artist. I second the above post, simply the best.

Lifecoach & Rebarn: The IP address you both used to post are identical (99.233.200.140 - owned by Rogers.com, an internet service provider in Toronto). So you are in fact the same person, or at least from the same house/location. Your accounts (and posts) have been removed as you are spamming and posting deceptive comments pretending to be a satisfied customer to deceive. Not nice at all.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rockn M

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
To close the loop:

The barn door hardware arrived today... package was a bit bashed up given that it's 8' long but everything was intact. The long pole wasn't bent or scratched up.

Everything looks reasonably well made and solid. The rollers appear to have bearings too which is nice. A special wrench can be used to loosen/tighten the roll.

The inside of the rollers is indeed black but it looks/feels like some sort of hard plastic or nylon. Not sure what it is. Not soft at all so hopefully won't have much of a 'memory' that causes the rollers to bump when rolled over time.

The 5 wall hangers include shims in case we need to come out farther to avoid a baseboard (if required).

These seem to be uber-popular... the seller said she sold 8 more today!

Link: [Cordia] European Modern Stainless Wood Sliding Barn Door Hardware Set

All in all I'm happy! $268 is better than $2200!

Kal

Kal, after a few years of use how is the barn door hardware you purchased holding up? I am looking to purchase something similar and like the one you purchased, especially for that price.

Thanks,
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask! I was just downstairs opening/closing the sliding barn door just a couple of hours ago thinking to myself "I really should post an update about this sliding mechanism and how well it's working". Wink So long story short: It's still working as well as they day it was installed (2-3 years ago?). It gets opened/closed probably once or twice a day. My initial concern was the memory I talked about in the post you quoted and there's zero issues - rolling it shows that there's no lumps or uneven wear or anything that should cause concern. I'd buy the same thing all over again. I see the price is also about 1/2 of what I paid now too!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: