Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Cream Ale / Standard Lager
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Cream Ale / Standard Lager Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/cream-ale-standard-lager

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 pm; edited 18 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Mike M

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: small typo? Reply with quote

Most people will find the Cream Ale is therefore decidedly easier to brew as it does not require special fermentation equipment to main a lower temperature and the whole process takes less time.

think one wants "maintain".

TU for the nice web site. You are in the top 1% of brewers (hobby) out there!

Cheers!

Mike

Mug

Mike M
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed - Thanks for pointing that out!

Kal

Rockn M

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I wanted to let you know I brewed this over the weekend on my Kal clone I built. Every time I use my Electric Brewery I get nothing but excellent results. Here is my system mashing the Cream Ale. I can't wait until it's ready to drink.

IMG_0012 [1789355].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.78 KB
 Viewed:  60053 Time(s)

IMG_0012 [1789355].JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting! Should be a nice light/easy drinking beer. Lager it for a while after it's done and it'll be great in the summer!

Kal

dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas of how to makes this a light American lager. My father in law only drinks light American lagers (coors light/bud light). It's not something I really want to make but since he helped me build my brewery, how can I say no. Do you think I can keep the percentages of the grain bill as is and dial down the malt bill until it gives me an OG of 1.032-1.038? Jamil has a recipe in his book for a light lager that uses 2 row and flaked rice that I might scale to my setup. I don't want to tie up my chest freezer for months so I will attempt the fast lagering process that was in the latest BYO magazine.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dward4421 wrote:
Any ideas of how to makes this a light American lager. My father in law only drinks light American lagers (coors light/bud light). It's not something I really want to make but since he helped me build my brewery, how can I say no. Do you think I can keep the percentages of the grain bill as is and dial down the malt bill until it gives me an OG of 1.032-1.038?

I would change the recipe to:

80% domestic 2-row
20% flaked rice or corn (I prefer rice as it has less taste)
About 10 IBU using a clean bittering hop at 60 mins only. CO2 extracted hop oil works really well as it's super clean tasting.

Same lager yeasts as above, chill to 48F, pitch a lot of yeast like recommended above, ferment at 50F. Chill to 32F and condition for a good month.

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I add the gelatin at the end of the lager process or at time of racking over to secondary (to lager)? If I read it correctly above it said to add and let it clear for 2-3 days. Also, is it required, or just recommended to have a more clear beer. I would think after lagering for a month or two it should be pretty clear on it own.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends on what's easiest: If you lager on the yeast in a vessel that's sealed up before you end up kegging, you probably don't need any gelatin at all since the beer will drop very clear over the month or two you lager it before kegging/bottling.

I like to lager in kegs because I don't want to suck in atmosphere when I cold crash possibly oxidizing the beer, and also because I don't really have room to lager in a secondary or similar (kegs work better for me), so this is what I do:

1. Ferment until complete plus a few days (in the primary) at fermentation temp.
2. Rack to a 5 gallon glass carboy that's been purged with CO2, add gelatin. I leave this at room temp, though I suppose you could keep it at fermentation temp too.
3. After ~2-3 days the beer has dropped brilliantly clear. I rack to 5 gallon kegs that have been purged with CO2 and put them in my conditioning fridge at ~32F on CO2 to carb up and lager/condition at the same time.

Ideally you probably don't want the beer to warm up like what I do in step 2, but I've never really noticed any differences in the results having the beer at room temp for 2-3 days before kegging (after it's been lagered near freezing for 1-3 months).

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question. Is there any value in slowly dropping the lager temp each day to get to the 32F? I've read people dropping it around 5 degrees a day.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some may drop slowly if they still need the yeast to be cleaning up the beer after primary or because they want the yeast to still be active a bit during lagering (going too fast may shock it and make it go into hibernation).

Some would do a diacytl rest at elevated temps at the end of primary for a few days too and then cold crash.

Since I move this sort of beer to a secondary and use gelatin before kegging/lagering, I'm off the yeast so I cold crash to 32F as fast as I can (I just put the kegs in the conditioning fridge).

Try it different ways and see what you prefer! Wink

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my first Lager and don't want to mess it up. I've brewed ales since 2008 but never done a lager until now. Mainly because I don't really like lagers. Prefer Ales, but my friends like lagers. So, I'm making a lager...lol. Thanks for the help.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big light lager drinker myself, but always keep a lighter one on tap for some of my friends.

That said, for myself, I really like a good hoppy pilsner - I've made this one numerous times: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28729

Kal

blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed 6 gallons of the lager version of this about 1.5 months ago using wyeast 2124 Bohemian lager with a 3 litre starter. it was the first time using my new false bottom so my gravity came out Lower than I estimated and it finished up at 4.5%. it tastes fantastic though especially for a light summer beer. Very clean tasting and cheap. Definately great for non hoppy friends etc. Gonna do a hoppier pilsner next

Last edited by blazinlow86 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds delicious!

I just kegged the hoppier pils tonight myself... the sample tasted great! A video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVWBZgoAczb/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Kal

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this brew as my 8th Electric Brewery brew. Since then I've searched for other cream ale recipes in an attempt to find, at least for me, the best cream ale. IMHO, this is it!. Kudos to Kal for the recipe. This is one of my top all time favorites. I need to brew more...

Last edited by KB on Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, have you used Dextrose in substitution for your table sugar sucrose before? I've done some reading on comparing the two for use in brewing and wondered if you've ever experimented with using it in this recipe.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
I wonder, have you used Dextrose in substitution for your table sugar sucrose before? I've done some reading on comparing the two for use in brewing and wondered if you've ever experimented with using it in this recipe.

I'll usually use whatever simple sugar I have available. They will all provide similar results. There are other sugars with flavours (like demarara or belgian candi syrups) but any simple sugar (cane/corn/etc) will give you similar results. Dextrose is preferred by some as it's so fine and dissolves quickly when used in beer to prime bottles. For the boil, it really doesn't matter. If simple sugars without any flavours are called for in the boil I will usually just steal something from the kitchen as it's the cheapest. Wink

There's an old homebrewing myth that table sugar will make your beer taste cidery. Not true.

Kal

chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kal"]
alphakry wrote:

..................................................................................................................

There's an old homebrewing myth that table sugar will make your beer taste cidery. Not true.

Kal

I believe the "myth" was about table sugar made from sugar BEET rather than sugar CANE. In the UK, and most of Europe, white table sugar made from sugar beet is the norm, although the cane version is readily available but a few pence dearer. The view still here is that sugar made from beet does leave a tang in the beer, whereas sugar from sugar cane doesn't. I suspect that all white refined sugar available in the US/Canada is of sugar cane origin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: