Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brewersfriend.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
BeerTools Pro.

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to use BeerSmith2. But as you said, the ability to use brewersfriend.com anywhere, even at work...! Mug
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brewersfriend.com Reply with quote

-MG- wrote:
Just wanted to put a post on these guys in here.

By the way thanks for the lead -MG-. I've been trying it out and it seems like a very easy to use program. It matches up pretty well with BeerSmith, with only slight OG differences based on the max PPG values the programs use.

EDIT: I'm just now trying it on my iPad and it looks pretty good here too! That could be the tipping point to use this web based program.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive! This is exactly what I wanted to build but figured that there was already something out there - apparently there is.

Question - has anyone been able to figure out how to add their equipment profile to the site? I'm probably missing something obvious since it's laid out very well.

In the FAQ:
How is boil size defined by the recipe editor?
Boil size is how much wort you will be boiling at the very start of the boil. This value is used for IBU calculations. For All Grain brewing, on the recipe editor, it is an estimate, and it will vary slightly on brew day based on your equipment. When you use the brew feature, your equipment profile is linked up with the target batch size and the system computes the actual boil size for the recipe for use on your equipment.

Thanks!
perogi.[/i]
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You add your personal information for your equipment under your profile. There will be a tab with everything you should need to calibrate it.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick FYI on their customer service...

As I used the site a bit more on my iPad last night I found there were some menu quirks where I didn't get a drop down menu for My Brewing or New Beer Recipe. So I filled out the form on the Contact page describing the issue and submitted it. Within an hour I got an email back from Larry stating that he saw the cause of the issue, verified it on his iPhone, and expected it to be fixed in their next release.

From my perspective that's pretty good customer support.
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of my biggest reasons for moving to it.

They have a great forum too where Larry responds quickly. I asked them to change how strike water was being shown (only in quarts), and to offer me an option for Gallons.

He said they would be adding it!

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-MG- wrote:
You add your personal information for your equipment under your profile. There will be a tab with everything you should need to calibrate it.

Thank you!
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am increasingly thinking of moving to this platform. I currently use iBrewMaster (primary recipe management), Beer Tools Pro (efficiency scaling that iBrewMaster cannot do), and EZ Water Calculator (water additions). Needless to say I do not like using multiple tools. I am also increasingly unhappy with a few things with iBrewMaster, particularly how data is entered. That said, I have a TON of data in there that I do not want to lose.

I have also found, despite what I would have predicted, that I do not really want to use the iPad on brew day for brewing activity. I prefer to do my research/recipe calculation up front and have a printed copy to deal with during the brew session. My process is so dialed in that I do not usually need to take notes -- more often just to track if I happen to mess something up.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem pretty full featured!

I've spoken to them and they're now an affiliate of our site so that you can sign up and support our forum at the same time!:

Brewer's Friend

"Brewer's Friend is a complete recipe designer, brew day planner, and journal. The details make the difference between an average batch of home brew and a truly excellent brew that is repeatable. Brewer's Friend automates the details, guides you through the brewing process, and saves all the data."

Great recipe creation along with useful calculators and charts.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Kal!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using this tonight - so far it's pretty sweet!
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely like it. Still playing with it to try and better understand how everything works together, but I like the portability of the web setup. My wife and I are at the car wash right now, and I was able to pull up my Janet's Brown Ale recipe to make sure I don't need to make a stop at the LHBS. On my iPad!

The Brew Sessions feature is nice, and that's where I finally figured out where to enter actual gravities to get actual efficiency numbers.
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjofus1959 - Question about the iPad. Are you using an app or the webbrowser? The Android version of their app is mostly utilities from what I've been able to deduce.
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using it inside the Safari browser. Full functionality. I also tried it on the iPhone and it's usable there in a pinch.

On the iPad it scales nicely when creating a recipe, for example.
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of screen captures from my iPad.

image.jpg
 Description:
Create a recipe
 Filesize:  116.13 KB
 Viewed:  38461 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
View existing recipe
 Filesize:  137.83 KB
 Viewed:  38461 Time(s)

image.jpg

perogi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye it is definitely sweet. I"m going to try to create a Brew Session template that is specific for a Kal Klone.

EDIT: It doesn't appear that you can create one... yet.
Kevin59

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Entering Fermentables as % of Total Reply with quote

So I found this re-posted on the Brewer's Friend forum from Kaiser:

"What I do is to add the percent numbers for the fermentables as kg. This means I end up with a 100 kg grist. I then adjust the boil volume to get to the desired OG and then scale the recipe to my actual boil volume.

Kai"

There's a request for an enhancement to allow entering fermentables as a percentage of total grist. But in the mean time the above suggestion is very cool (and new to me...)

I played around with it last night by entering grains such that they added up to 100 lbs total for a brown ale. Then as suggested I tweaked the batch size to get my desired OG with 85% efficiency, and finally scaled to 12 gallon batch. Pretty slick approach I think...
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice mrjofus1959 - but I really hope they add that feature Smile

p.s. if you like my mL request, please +1 it. I don't want to write, "0.001 L of lactic acid" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: