Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

varying efficiencies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I use beertools pro and the percent efficiency I am giving is the one they calculate and I believe it takes the boil into account as well and therefore I believe it is brewhouse efficiency but I am not entirely sure. Does anyone have input into how to get both numbers in beertools pro?
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjofus1959 wrote:
rcrabb22 wrote:
Kal -

not to hijack this thread but I have always been dumbfounded by the picture of the sight tube. If the sight tube is filled from the bottom, how the heck did the clear water get in the sight tube above the wort during the sparge???

On my setup at least, the sight glass is filled with water when you first fill with the strike water, so from that point forward the heavier wort "creeps" in there during the mash, particularly as I'm starting to recirculate and things move around a bit with respect to the fluid level in the sight glass.

So at any rate from that point on there's heavier wort in the bottom of the tube with clear water on top much like shown in Kal's picture.

DUH!!! I don't have a sight glass on my MLT, and I never considered clear water was there from the get go

MY BAD, sorry

Embarassed
mcl

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe it is brewhouse efficiency but I am not entirely sure.

If you are getting brewhouse of 80% then that is pretty good because that number takes into account all equipment losses. When Kal is quoting efficiency he is talking about Mash efficiency.

Feel free to disagree but I feel you are chasing a problem that doesn't exist.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
IMO the clear water in the tube is from the original addition of the mash in water. It didn't have a chance to pick up stuff from the grain and never mixes. It also gets more clear the longer it sits per Kal's reasoning. Just a hypothesis.

Actually this makes a lot more sense than what I wrote, especially after rcrabb22's comment right before. Yup, the more I think about it, this must be it.

Funny, I never really questioned it! I always thought it was handy as it sort of seems to show how the sparge is progressing as the layer drop down as you sprage but also gets clearer.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: