Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Amounts seem slightly high but not by much. My city water's fairly close to RO.

I use EZ water calculator to tell me how much to add to the mash and how much to add to the boil, by entering the mash water and sparge water amounts to the spreadsheet. They don't add up to 20 (only about 16) so that's likely it. I don't treat all of my water as one.

You won't go blind. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I realized last minute I didn't order any Columbus Hops. That said, I checked the Ruthless Rye ingredients list and they don't list Columbus...but Equinox is there and I've got a couple oz of it. Never used it before...so I think I might give it a whirl! I'll let you know how it goes folks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this beer again recently and just kegged it last night... It's been a few years since I brewed it last. Forgot how good it was!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too brewed this recently, kegged on last wednesday. this was the first keg where i used the burst carbonation method and was drinking it only 30 hours later. it was certainly drinkable but has gotten smoother over the last week.
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sampled mine - my cold crash didn't work so hot so it a bit cloudy, but wow. I love it. Has some spice to it (maybe from the rye and the Equinox I used?), a nice bitterness throughout but not overpowering to any extent, a nice finish and the grapefruit aroma from the dry hops. I've never had a Rye IPA before but I'll be making this again for sure!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topdollar wrote:
I love it. Has some spice to it (maybe from the rye and the Equinox I used?)

It's from the rye malt and Chinook hops. Great combo. Glad you like it!

Kal

JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Ingredients:

2.5 oz Chinook Hops (11.4%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1.5 oz Amarillo Hops (10.1%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
1.5 oz Columbus Hops (12.3%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min

By added during boil, boiled 0 min- do you mean added at flame out?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct! Though for many reading here there is no flame. Wink

Kal

JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Correct! Though for many reading here there is no flame. Wink

Kal

Although taking longer than I’d like- my flame days are numbered. Thanks for the clearifing.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the brew!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/sierra-nevada-ruthless-rye-ipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.... that's odd. When was Magnum and Crystal Hops added to this recipe?
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
hmmm.... that's odd. When was Magnum and Crystal Hops added to this recipe?

Oops! Sorry about that. Cut & paste from the recipe before when I was redoing this one. I've removed them. Thanks for noticing!

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! You had me scratching my head a minute there. 😂
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, I’m sure it would have been tasty! 😉

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Ruthless Rye Clone Reply with quote

Long time listener, first time caller.

Brewed this last week (5 gal version) as my first beer on the system. I purchased control panel, kettles, pumps, etc from someone recently and have spent the last couple months converting a section of basement to house it all!

Couple of questions I have:

My temps seemed to lag a bit. During my mash, with the HLT temp set to 152, the mash temp never matched it (over the 90min mash, the highest the MLT temp read was 150). Also took longer than I expected to get my mash up to 168 for mashout (like 30-45 mins). Is this normal?

Had some issues with the pumps air locking, but I figured that out throughout the day.

I have a counter flow chiller and it works really well (but also took over an hour to run the hot wort through and get it to 70 degrees). You guys must have super cold tap water!

How often are you checking the gravity? After 7 days my gravity is 1.030. Recipe/instructions mention to add dry hops when gravity is close to final, but not sure if I should be checking every day, every couple of days, etc. I have the SS fermenter and a temp control fermentation chamber. Checking gravity involves removing the vessel and lifting it up to a table to take a sample for the hydrometer.

Most annoyingly, I can not figure out how to calculate my efficiency. I recently downloaded Beer Tools Pro and plugged in the grains, but I can not seem to figure out my efficiency. I used 11.5 lb 2 row, 1.5lb rye, 0.7lb crystal 80, and 0.05lb chocolate. I got an OG of 1.070 on brew day. I suspect I may need to spend a lot more time playing with the BTP program.

This was my first brew in over a year, and my first brew that didn't involve hauling a ton of stuff outside and using an LP burner and an igloo cooler. Brewing with the control panel was a ton of fun and I look forward to making some really neat beers.

Appreciate the website and appreciate the forum! This has been a great project.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruthless Rye Clone Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

JeffW wrote:
My temps seemed to lag a bit. During my mash, with the HLT temp set to 152, the mash temp never matched it (over the 90min mash, the highest the MLT temp read was 150).

Having a HLT to MLT temperature lag is a very common issue. Using parts that are different from the ones I recommend in our build instructions can cause this. To minimize the difference, make sure to:

- Calibrate both the MLT and HLT temp probes per the instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup
Unless both are calibrated with a known accurate thermometer at the mash temp, you don’t know if what you are seeing is accurate.
- Make sure to set up the PIDs per the instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup
- Use the thicker walled hoses I recommend here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hoses
Thicker hoses will lose less heat. Try to minimize distances as well.
- Set your mill gap crush per the recommendations here (0.045 to 0.050"): http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/grain-mill
You want to mill looser for good flow, not tighter.
- Use the pumps I recommend here to ensure adequate flow: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/pumps
- Run both pumps at 100% open when mashing. To get good flow without any channeling use the kettles I recommend here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview

For example, users have reported on our forum and by email how they were seeing a temperature differential between the MLT and HLT and were able to make it go away by swapped out their hoses and pumps for what's recommended in the build instructions. A quote from one of them:

"I had originally tested the HERMS with the thinner 1/2 ID silicon and had my pumps setup with the inline heads (long story). I was landing about 1-2 degrees cooler in the mash kettle. I swapped out the pump heads for the front inlet and swapped out the silicon with what you recommend and I now hit the same temp!" - Todd W.

Other things that are sometimes done differently that can cause a differential:

- Make sure the heating elements are wired correctly and being fed 240V and not 120V. Running heating elements at 120V will result in 1/4 the power you expect. You can check this by looking at the amp meter. A 4500W element will draw 18.8 amps while a 5500W element will draw 22.9 amps.
- Brewing in a very cold location may cause the MLT temp to drop slightly by the time it reaches the MLT temp probe.

This question gets asked a lot on the forum too. These threads may provide further hints:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25474
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26408
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28283
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25474
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30387
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26722
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30603

Quote:
Also took longer than I expected to get my mash up to 168 for mashout (like 30-45 mins). Is this normal?

No, not if following my instructions and using the recommended equipment. Unfortunately I know nothing about your equipment or where you may not be following the recommended instructions so it's difficult to assist further without more info.

Quote:
How often are you checking the gravity?

I rarely check it myself. It really depends on the beer, your experience, and so forth. It should be at least checked before yeast is pitched and after fermentation is done as that what tells you your percentage ABV. If you're still learning, you may need to check more often until you get a feel for how things work. For example, I don't check the gravity before adding dry hops to the fermentation vessel near the end because I've gotten a feel for how it works after many years of brewing. If you're new, feel free to check more often if you like to get a sense. Keep in mind that when you add is not overly critical too.

Quote:
Most annoyingly, I can not figure out how to calculate my efficiency. I recently downloaded Beer Tools Pro and plugged in the grains, but I can not seem to figure out my efficiency. I used 11.5 lb 2 row, 1.5lb rye, 0.7lb crystal 80, and 0.05lb chocolate. I got an OG of 1.070 on brew day. I suspect I may need to spend a lot more time playing with the BTP program.

The software will tell you your mash efficiency after you plug in your final gravity into the software.

Quote:
Brewing with the control panel was a ton of fun and I look forward to making some really neat beers. Appreciate the website and appreciate the forum! This has been a great project.

Glad you've had fun - Cheers!

Kal

houndbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to scale this recipe but noticed the percentages of grain don't match up........unless I'm missing something.

23 lb Domestic 2-row malt (1.8-2L) (80.4%)
2.9 lb Rye malt (2.8-4.3L) (13.2%)
1.3 lb Crystal malt (75-80L) (5.9%)
0.1 lb Chocolate malt (350-500L) (0.5%)

Converted to ounces, this would work out to:

with total ounces at 436.8

and calculated percentages at:

84.25%
10.62%
4.76%
0.37%

Can you please confirm the grain bill?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for catching that! Cut & paste error when the recipe was moved to the new site. Now corrected. The percentages were all correct but the domestic 2-row amount was incorrect. It's now correct at 17.7 lbs.

Kal

houndbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: