Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/sierra-nevada-ruthless-rye-ipa

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:52 pm; edited 42 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this! I actually just drank my first Ruthless Rye last night. It was VERY good. I do believe I will be brewing this one.

Edit: Are you starting with RO water in all these recipes for standardization?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
Edit: Are you starting with RO water in all these recipes for standardization?

No. Lucky for me, my tap water is extremely soft so I can make just about anything I want with it without problems.
My starting water is: Ca=9, Mg=2, Na=16, Cl=6, S04=27 (Ottawa Canada)

Kal

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... Keep braggin' My water is in the 390's total hardness! I may build up some RO for this batch. This truly is an amazing beer.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Likwid

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this as my 2nd batch on the system. I did not understand my efficiency was so high that it came out much stronger then it should have been (seems like an odd issue?). Either way it still came out great. Next time I can reduce the grain bill to get more on target.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likwid wrote:
I did not understand my efficiency was so high that it came out much stronger then it should have been (seems like an odd issue?).

It usually takes a few batches to learn the ins and outs of a new system and figure out your efficiencies before you start making consistent beers.

Post all your numbers if you like (grain amounts, gravity, etc.) and we can see if there's anything odd about it. Maybe you mis-calculated the grain amount?

Kal

Likwid

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was to much grain. This is a late picture I have already done batches and 3 and 4 hitting the numbers I aimed for. I went from calculating my mash efficiency from 85% to 95% and now I tend to hit my number each time.
cbk

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look forward to the release of this beer from SN. Have a 5 gallon system scaled down but just like Kal"s. Have brewed about 20 batches on my system and have it dialed in. Do not get 95% like Kal but do get 85% consistently. Did this recipe following Kal"s procedures and water profile and must say that this beer came out quite close to the real deal. Thanks for the recipe and the only other thing I want to say is this. Kal, if you happen to read this my only complaint is this. You need to post more recipes!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbk wrote:
Thanks for the recipe and the only other thing I want to say is this. Kal, if you happen to read this my only complaint is this. You need to post more recipes!

Agreed! Wink

The biggest issue is that I don't just want to post "anything"... I've only posted about 1/3 of the stuff I've made because I have slight tweaks or changes I wanted to try out with some of them to try and get them as good as I can before I list them here.

The other thing is that I want to give some information or a reason behind each of the recipes and that takes work. The internet's full of so many of what I'd call mediocre recipes since anyone can post anything. Most do not contain any information about what makes it special, why they like it, how good it is, and so forth. I don't want to fall into that pit. There are websites where thousands of people each post dozens of recipes with little to no information about them. Some are not even anywhere near the style the say they are. I don't understand the value of that at all. How's someone supposed to pick out the "good" ones? If you know how to do that, you know how to create the recipe yourself already.

<Sorry - that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? I do intend on posting more recipes as I make them and tweak them!>

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
jclavel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kegging this today. I finished a few points high, so I need to consider calibrating my temp probes. Regardless, the massive hop flavor overshadows a couple gravity points. I'm drinking a pint now(flat) and it is magical...good stuff.

Thanks Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy! Let us know how you like it after it's carb'ed up and chilled.

Kal

jclavel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Enjoy! Let us know how you like it after it's carb'ed up and chilled.

Kal

Actually since I cold crashed it prior to kegging, it was already chilled. It's carbonated already Thumbs Up

I drank a couple of glasses last night and it was delicious. Very resiny and assertive bittering and the aroma and hop flavor is very close to the original on-tap version. Truly a satisfying beer. I think that I may mash 1 degree higher next time as a matter of personal preference.

Thanks again Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jclavel wrote:
I drank a couple of glasses last night and it was delicious. Very resiny and assertive bittering and the aroma and hop flavor is very close to the original on-tap version. Truly a satisfying beer.

Excellent! Glad to hear. One of these days I'll have to travell to find this on tap somewhere and try for myself ...

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JULY 2013 UPDATE: This recipe won third place at an American IPA brewing competition organized by my local homebrew club. Complete details here. (The Green Flash West Coast IPA placed first).

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be brewing this next... probably Friday... Thanks for posting!
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words.... "Holy effing shiite"... (okay three words)... This is the new favorite of everything I've brewed so far... IPA fans absolutely love this beer... so much flavor... absolutely delicious. I've had the Ruthless Rye before but don't remember it being anywhere NEAR this good. This will be one of those that I try and keep on tap. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
pg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any special milling practices for the rye malt or can I crush on the same gap setting as normal malted barley?
thanks,
-pg
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the same gap. Works fine. Happy brewing!

Kal

pg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal!
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you posting your water profiles. Starting from RO water makes this particularly valuable.
You have - "Water treated with brewing salts to: Ca=109, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, S04=279 "

If I treat my RO water (start water 20 gallons):
Gypsum - 28 g.
Cal Chloride - 5 g.
Epsom - 14 g.

I end up with:
Ca=111, Mg=18, Na=12, Cl=46, S04=279

I've never added this much salts in any recipe, ever. Shocked

Kal, can you please hold my hand and confirm 14 grams of Epsom won't make me go blind?
Seriously, as you've developed this recipe, I'd just like you to confirm these numbers.
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: