Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Wiring 6 AWG to SSR

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Wiring 6 AWG to SSR Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For all the 50A builders, how are you connecting the 6 AWG cable to the SSRs? Are you using crimp on ring terminals or mechanical terminals or what? Anyone able to put up a picture of a closeup of the connections? If you are using crimp on terminals, did you have to purchase a special purpose crimping tool? And if so, what did you use and how much was the cost? Thanks.
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crimped mine... I got the DIY kit and it came with bare ring terminals and I used a standard crimp tool...

IMG_20140125_122128.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.72 KB
 Viewed:  20121 Time(s)

IMG_20140125_122128.jpg

IMG_20140125_122136.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.65 KB
 Viewed:  20121 Time(s)

IMG_20140125_122136.jpg

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
matt6150

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you need 6awg going to the SSR's? For a 5500w element?
rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt6150 wrote:

Because two elements will be driven at the same time and because a single wire will be feeding power to both SSRs at the same time. When both elements are on, it will be drawing over 30 amps. Also, because the plans state so, see either of the 50A plan FAQs (Back to Back, or the 30+ gal).

I suppose I could wire them up differently. Run two 10 AWG wires from the 50A contactor to each of the SSR's as each SSR will be pulling only around 30A. It would require a little more wire, but I have extra wire. Anyone wish to opine on this idea?
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt6150 wrote:

You don't for one but you do if you have TWO 5500 watt elements per SSR. I have the 50A Panel for 30+ Gallon Batches so I'm future proof. I figured for an extra few hundred bucks why not have the potential to go for 30+ gallon batches? Eventually I'll make another set of the Blichman pots starting out with the 55 Gallon Ones and then getting the extension turning it into a 100 gallon pot for 60 gallon batches Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt6150 wrote:

Both of our 50A control panel wiring diagrams use 6 ga wire.

See:

50A control panel for 30+ gallons: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24918

50A control panel for back to back batches: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25793

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
matt6150

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I see. Well to be honest I had never looked at the wiring diagrams before, but I guess that is one way of doing it. I used to wire a lot of large panels for a living. And the standard most of the time would be that when the main power would come in it would go to a contactor or breaker and get distributed from there. This is the basic thought process I used when I laid out my panel. Very minimal 6awg having to run throughout the panel this way. But in Jerz situation where he plans on running 2 5500w elements someday, yeah I get that. Here's a shot of how I have my power coming in.
rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part that is how it's run. After the main power connection in the panel there is a contactor. Smaller gauge wire runs through a 7 amp fuse and then to a terminal strip to provide power to the pilot lights, PIDs, pumps, timer etc. It also then goes to the SSRs and to the contactors for the elements.
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt6150 wrote:
Uh, I see. Well to be honest I had never looked at the wiring diagrams before, but I guess that is one way of doing it. I used to wire a lot of large panels for a living. And the standard most of the time would be that when the main power would come in it would go to a contactor or breaker and get distributed from there. This is the basic thought process I used when I laid out my panel. Very minimal 6awg having to run throughout the panel this way. But in Jerz situation where he plans on running 2 5500w elements someday, yeah I get that. Here's a shot of how I have my power coming in.

That looks nice! I don't particularly care for the way the #6 connects to the ssr's and would prefer a lug... I put two #6 pedestal lugs on the shunt but they wouldn't work on the SSR's...

rmoody

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That looks nice! I don't particularly care for the way the #6 connects to the ssr's and would prefer a lug... I put two #6 pedestal lugs on the shunt but they wouldn't work on the SSR's...

What I don't get is if the SSR is capable of carrying 40 or even 80 amps (which is what I have), you would think that the connections would be capable of connecting the cable needed to carry that level of current. I think my idea of running two 10 AWG wires from the main contactor to the SSRs will be easier to deal with since 10 AWG ring terminals can be crimped with ease.

What's a "pedestal lug"?
Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I've never paralleled anything smaller than #3/0 (I think code is #1) but then again I don't do control work... Not sure if there is another SSR but I may look around to see what else is out there.

Oh... yeah... this is the lug I was referring to: http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/158635?gdftrk=gdfV25445_a_7c1847_a_7c7081_a_7c158635&gclid=CNr5oP2cnbwCFYNQ7Aod8mIAfw EXCEPT #6.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: