Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Trotsky Ale House Build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
No problem. I never heard of it either til I perused the hardware store tile section and came across it. I wasn't ready to jump fully into tiling. I was a little concerned using tile in the first place (especially ceramic), for the simple fact of how easy I think it would be to drop a keg or something and crack a tile. Vinyl tiles are extremely durable in this aspect and are flexible to allow punishment.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned up the tile grout lines with windex and it came out great. It made me realize how dusty/dirty the floor tiles are because there is a significant color difference with the same tile. That will be a task to scrub that floor!

After that I placed the 2' threaded rods into the blocking between the joists for the hood and with a little help from the wife and a few clamps I hung the hood. It isn't as high as I wanted it due to the threaded rods being too long, but I can live with it being low by an inch. I'll just do a better job when I drywall that frame. I wanted to wait on that because I wanted full access to the hood mounting nuts in case something was off.

The ductwork came out almost ideal it had one more bend than I hoped for, but thats ok.

I turned on the fan to check for any air leaks in the system, after taping up quite a bit of the connections. I couldn't detect any, but I probably will put a few more runs of tape just to make me feel better. There is maybe 2' after the fan that goes straight out of the house. I ventured outside the house and wow is that thing pushing air!

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-MG- wrote:
It isn't as high as I wanted it due to the threaded rods being too long, but I can live with it being low by an inch.

Grab a hacksaw and cut off an inch. It's really easy to cut.

Quote:
I turned on the fan to check for any air leaks in the system, after taping up quite a bit of the connections. I couldn't detect any, but I probably will put a few more runs of tape just to make me feel better.

It's the moisture leaks I was more worried about. Give it a good taping just to be sure.

Great progress!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will you be collecting the moisture that drips from the fan? Granted you have a short run but there will be condensation build up in the fan that will drip from the hole you drilled.

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
How will you be collecting the moisture that drips from the fan? Granted you have a short run but there will be condensation build up in the fan that will drip from the hole you drilled.

Silverspoons

Great question. Just like Kal I will have drywall access panels so I can see the inner behind the frame. I haven't confirmed 100% what I want to do. I'm tempted to just get some sort of 'plate' to catch any drippings and just let it evaporate, or if it builds up, just stand up on my table and pull it out and empty it.

Thanks for the tip on the hacksaw I think I will do that. I'll leave that space there for now for dry walling to make a nice clean corner, then get a nice tight fit.

My task tonight will be placing that drywall with all of those wires/plumbing going through there. I'm considering using some plywood I have sitting around for the front for that big gap there. Again, you can tell I am not a professional. I've learned though while my methods might not be the quickest or more efficient, I can still get a great end result.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you're aware that it will happen and its something that should be monitored..

silverspoons
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was satisfied enough with my mudding efforts (some spots had been mudded and sanded at least 5 times). Before using the drywall primer, I took a mop that has a flat micro fiber cloth on it and dampened it and ran it across the walls to pick up any dust left on them from sanding.

I applied the primer with a nap roller and then followed with my paint.

I didn't think it made sense to show pictures of the same room you all have seen in my previous updates with just a primer, but did want to show my drywalling above the hood since I had a few pipes going in.

I picked up a bull nose like moulding that has a slight lip to it that will finish off the bottom ends of the drywall above the hood and I will raise the hood so you can't see any space there once the moulding is on. The hole is where one of my drywall access panels go. I have it in my next set of pictures.

These are after only one coat. I plan to run one more coat with a rough nap roller to give the wall a little more texture than it has now.

I did buy this door casing kit for both the entrance and the storage area as well as some moulding for me to cut. After I apply my second coat I'll get started on that and the sliding doors.

A couple of things I haven't decided on yet:

what color vinyl/rubber trim for the base boards? I have a black one that my wife likes since it will match the ceiling. I also have a charcoal one that looks nicer with the tile.

I also need to get some sort of crown moulding for the ceiling edges. I think I will paint that black so it blends well with the ceiling.

I also haven't decided for the storage room door what to stain/paint it. I still need to sand it down since I bought it from a 2nd hand store for $10 bucks. Same goes for my entrance door with what color that will be.

These are some of my next to do items and not in the too far future, this ale house will be fully operational.

Side note, I'll be on vacation for a week in Hawaii so progress will stop, but my drinking will not!

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great. The tile and hood combo looks great.
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-MG- wrote:
Great question. Just like Kal I will have drywall access panels so I can see the inner behind the frame. I haven't confirmed 100% what I want to do. I'm tempted to just get some sort of 'plate' to catch any drippings and just let it evaporate, or if it builds up, just stand up on my table and pull it out and empty it.

For now I've put a little bowl under my fan (like I had before). I get less condensation now that the run is shorter and insulated. I should probably measure it but I believe it's about 1/2 cup that drips out over a typical 60 minute boil.

If you want to let it evaporate I'd use a shallow pan. One issue however is that it's up in an enclosed area with any airflow so you'd end up putting that liquid into the drywall/framing/etc. Brewing is not a frequent even, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that.

I've been toying with the idea of punching a small hole in the top of the hood and directing the condensation down into the hood's trough. A vinyl hose between the fan and the hood would work, just not sure how to properly attach the hose the drip hole on the bottom of the fan.

For now I'vebeen opening the little access door and dumping out the 1/2 cup of water in the bowl at the end of the brew day.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the hacksaw I think I will do that. I'll leave that space there for now for dry walling to make a nice clean corner, then get a nice tight fit.

On mine we temporarily put up the hood to get the locations right and then took it down and drywalled to about 2" underneath where the hood would go to create a nice clean seam. The hood was then raised and covered the edge of drywall. The hangers on the hood are recessed up into the hole.

Like so:

Pre-drywall:

Drywall done:

Mudded & primed:

Tile was done last:

Hood was hung:

(They didn't have to prime that back wall obviously..., or even mud it for that matter. Oh well. The different trades don't always have a full picture of what's going on).

You'll note that the drywalled box above the hood is about 2" wider and deeper than the hood itself. This was done on purpose. I originally asked if it could be done flush so that the drywalled part looked like an extension of the hood and our builder/designer guy said that trying to get things like that to line up right is an exercise in frustration. You're better NOT trying to make them exactly the (or close) as otherwise you'll notice the imperfections more. So a ~2" overhang was done all around. It also leaves you somewhere to do the framing underneath and room for the hood mount points. Without an overhang it becomes a lot more difficult since the hood mount points go all the way to the sides of the hood.

Kal

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides saying "nice work" and "great looking future brewery", I also have to say I'm jealous! I'm really going to have to undergo some sort of garage beautification project or something. Turns out my wife wants to do that anyway. Maybe I can add heat before next winter!

Seriously though, very nice looking project -MG- Mr. Green
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time!

Completed molding around the hood and base of walls as well as the top of the walls. I also got the door frame casings installed and most of the trim associated with them. I had to hold off on the storage area. After looking closely at the dimensions of my sliding door I found I couldn't install a top door trim as that is where the rail will need to go to allow proper height for door.

Electrician comes tomorrow to complete all the wiring and the sink will get setup too. I have a nice pre-rinse faucet for it!

The panel has been wall mounted. I'm not a big fan of drywall anchors, but they are suppose to support up to 100 lbs. I just found them to be a lot more delicate than I would have liked. It was easy to push the anchor too far once the screw was in place and at that point it was near impossible to get it out. I did my normal test of trying to push it around, etc and it didn't budge. I guess I just have to get use to not having that concrete wall like before.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.... sorta bland don't you think.

LOL

Looks freaking awesome! Excellent progress!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

The one thing I haven't decided yet is what if anything I will do with my brew stand. I'm not sure I want to upgrade it to stainless yet since I built it just over a year ago. It's currently just in a bare wood color.

For that matter, I also haven't decided what color I want to stain that other door that will cover the storage area. I'm thinking a dark brown for the door. Not sure I want the brew stand that way.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I like the dark trim so maybe you could paint your brew stand the same color.

Scott
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right g8tors.

I was just thinking about what to paint that storage room door, and I can't go a dark brown because of the black. I think I need to go an ebony stain which will be darker but still retain some of the wood and it will keep in the color scheme.

I have noticed with my build I didn't really design the room colors. I kind of just let things happen and once I set the wall color and trim, it was easy to follow after.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make certain you put no fewer than 3 coats of poly on that brew stand after you stain it. You want a nice thick layer of protection since you will be having a lot of liquid and HOT liquid around it. I built my stand pretty much to Kal's specs and have 3 coats of poly on it and it seems bullet-proof!

Looks GREAT!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest Update:

Finished sanding and staining the door for the storage room. The picture makes it look darker than it is, its a nice dark brown:

I haven't figured out yet a stopper yet to stop the door from sliding too far.

I also got my sink hooked up. First time installing a sink myself and spent probably the better part of a night leak testing and tightening fittings that had some slight leaks, it looks like we are all set now! I bought the faucet on ebay and he forgot to also send me a 12" faucet add-on which adds another faucet to the sink:

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzQ1WDc0NQ==/$(KGrHqR,!qIFCC(ci5YNBQwK(M)duQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007[/img]

Here is what it looks like now:

We are getting close to completion. I have just one last item coming in tuesday. A 6' long stainless table to go next to the other table. Once I get that the build will be practically done. It's just aesthetic items like some canvas beer pictures and my computer and the tv and all the little nicknacks for the brewery.

I took my brew stand and wanted to stain it dark. I had to give it a good sanding before hand:

And after with first coat of poly applied. I noticed the picture again makes it look darker than it is:

I wanted to also transform my keezer:

I painted it with an oil based all purpose paint suggested at sherwin williams store. I used a foam nap roller and I am very impressed with the finish. No lines, and looks like most black appliances. Some parts are still tacky from this morning so I left the fan running on it for overnight. I didn't worry too much about the side vent and really getting into it with a paint brush. It will be hidden by the wall anyways.

I also installed the entrance door:

I had extra drywall left over so I put it up on the outside. I don't think I am going to worry about doing anything to it.

Tomorrow I am going to get the system fully in place and do a big recirculation of oxyclean and then also do an acid rinse of the pumps and the cfc.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking GREAT man!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And besides small items to add, here we go:

The blue light is attached LED battery powered light I installed above the door way:

The blue light in this picture is a LED light that is battery powered.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nice job. You should be proud.

So what's the first brew going to be?

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: