Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Saudi Beer consulting

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Saudi Beer consulting Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sometimes I get an junk/spam email that puts a smile on my face:

Quote:
Sent: December-13-12 2:04 AM
To: kal@theelectricbrewery.com
Subject: Saudi Beer question

Dear Microbrewer,
Life has changed for me. I tasted beer for the first time last week and I believe I may want to devote my life to making it. We had to smuggle in the case of Chimay on a friend's jet, because I couldn't risk being caught with it, and we had to land at a small airport instead of Riyadh, and that was a terrible inconvenience.
I've been at your home brewing store and was wondering if you'd be willing to send one of your staff to come stay with us in order to teach me and my cousins who also love beer how to make it. You can stay in our home for the duration of the beer educating, and that's safe. We have armed guards so there's probably nothing to worry about. Of course the nature of this kind of work in KSA is highly dangerous so we will pay you accordingly. If we choose the right month I can fly in other female beer lover friends from Mauritania, Sudan and Yemen. I can assure you that with baksheesh, even if we run into a nightmarish legal scenario, we can eventually guarantee your employee's safety. But I think it will be a lot of fun, foresee no problems, and can set up our facility alongside our 2 lane bowling alley, which goes with beer, I am told. Please let me know your thoughts so we can begin planning this.

Sincerely yours,

Maryam bin Talal

I wonder if there's any relation to Al Waleed Bin Talal (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal). He's a Saudi Arabian business tycoon and investor. He is a member of the Saudi royal family. Net worth: US$ 18 billion.

I'll ask Mike if he wants to go... Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man... that is GREAT! What an opportunity to spread the knowledge of beer to those who legally can't enjoy it!
As long as they can 'probably, eventually ensure the safety of the beer educator'
And what was that about picking the right month to bring in female beer lovers? Holy Smokes!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is why send emails like this? What's in it for them? It's humorous (though some may find it offensive) but what's the point?

If I responded that I was interested would they try and send me a large check for me to cash to pay for my trip but then say "the check is too big so can send us back half in cash" (a typical scam).

If that was the point you'd think they'd make the email less humorous so that victims would maybe take it more seriously?

Kal

huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it reeks of PHISHING

Maybe that is as serious as they can get... things get lost in translation.

Like a Saudi, Multi-Millionaire/Billionaire is going to give a rat's rear about the safety some 'westerner' if the beer police come busting through the door. They would shove you in front and let you be tortured in a Saudi prison for the remainder of your short life.
wubears71

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure its all legit! Are the beer loving women virgins?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wubears71 wrote:

Yeah, all 57 of them... You volunteering?
wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
wubears71 wrote:

Yeah, all 57 of them... You volunteering?

I'll ask my wife. Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cast a second for Mike to go. Thumbs Up If Mike feels he will require a "taste tester" to accompany him...I'll go..I'm good at tasting women, not the beer! Mug
woodenboatguy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
What I don't get is why send emails like this? What's in it for them? It's humorous (though some may find it offensive) but what's the point?

If I responded that I was interested would they try and send me a large check for me to cash to pay for my trip but then say "the check is too big so can send us back half in cash" (a typical scam).

If that was the point you'd think they'd make the email less humorous so that victims would maybe take it more seriously?

Kal

It's part of the method.

For a while I was part of a bunch online who would try to keep these kind busy by pretending to be taken in. The idea was that as long as they were wasting their time with you they weren't getting a real scam going with someone else.

The reason the scam letters are so flagrantly silly is for self-elimination. The 99.9% of the populace that would eventually go "...waaait a minute.." waste their time if it were somewhat more legitimate looking.

The trick is to respond (and this doesn't often work) but to be "what? why are you writing me a note like this? who are you? I am a legitimate (whatever) and can't be bothered with this when I have so many problems keeping my business going".

If it works they start into a dialogue with you. It can sometimes go for months. I had a persona where I was a pretty loopy survivalist in the US midwest (no jokes....!). I had a Nigeria bank president sitting on piles of cash if only I would come back to town more often to get drunk and log into Gmail (the only one that they can't get a trace on the IP) and blather away about living off the grid and all the money I had.

There is a hierarchy. The initial person responding with you is more like just a runner. He gets something to bring you to someone higher up who works you. Eventually if you really do start sending money (or look like you are trying - oh so very hard but there are just such problems getting in the way always) then you get handed up higher again. You can sometimes tell when the writing skills vary widely all of a sudden.

It's called the 419 scam for that section of the Nigeria law statues against such things. Check out 419Eater.com. Some of the stories on there are epic and funny to no end. I have an ID on there but long since let it lapse.

I know I know....I know way too much about something so dumb eh?

Cheers,
wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodenboatguy wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

It's part of the method.

For a while I was part of a bunch online who would try to keep these kind busy by pretending to be taken in. The idea was that as long as they were wasting their time with you they weren't getting a real scam going with someone else.

The reason the scam letters are so flagrantly silly is for self-elimination. The 99.9% of the populace that would eventually go "...waaait a minute.." waste their time if it were somewhat more legitimate looking.

The trick is to respond (and this doesn't often work) but to be "what? why are you writing me a note like this? who are you? I am a legitimate (whatever) and can't be bothered with this when I have so many problems keeping my business going".

If it works they start into a dialogue with you. It can sometimes go for months. I had a persona where I was a pretty loopy survivalist in the US midwest (no jokes....!). I had a Nigeria bank president sitting on piles of cash if only I would come back to town more often to get drunk and log into Gmail (the only one that they can't get a trace on the IP) and blather away about living off the grid and all the money I had.

There is a hierarchy. The initial person responding with you is more like just a runner. He gets something to bring you to someone higher up who works you. Eventually if you really do start sending money (or look like you are trying - oh so very hard but there are just such problems getting in the way always) then you get handed up higher again. You can sometimes tell when the writing skills vary widely all of a sudden.

It's called the 419 scam for that section of the Nigeria law statues against such things. Check out 419Eater.com. Some of the stories on there are epic and funny to no end. I have an ID on there but long since let it lapse.

I know I know....I know way too much about something so dumb eh?

Cheers,

So are you saying I'm not getting 57 virgins? Well then I'm out.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the virgins. You just don't get to pick them.

In Saudi the virgins pick you.

And they're that way for a reason.

Cheers!
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And nobody ever said those virgins were female! Very Happy
wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
And nobody ever said those virgins were female! Very Happy

This thread just turned in the wrong direction. Rolling Eyes

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roflmbfao
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodenboatguy wrote:
Check out 419Eater.com. Some of the stories on there are epic and funny to no end.

Yep, I remember reading through a bunch of those years ago and being brought to tears and some of the stupid things they made the scammers do for them.

Another popular "scam the scammer" was the powerbook prank: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Kal

wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
woodenboatguy wrote:
Check out 419Eater.com. Some of the stories on there are epic and funny to no end.

Yep, I remember reading through a bunch of those years ago and being brought to tears and some of the stupid things they made the scammers do for them.

Another popular "scam the scammer" was the powerbook prank: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Kal

I never saw that one. How awesome!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the exact same email at HomeBrewing.com. Laughed for a good hour.

I printed it out and framed it by our bar, so others could enjoy.
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I managed to miss this one....but I love how I was the first one thrown under the bus!

I could simply write the whole trip off as a 'business expense' !!

Lol

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike Innovations wrote:
I don't know how I managed to miss this one....but I love how I was the first one thrown under the bus!

You were away, it only seemed fair. Wink

Kal

KES

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I volunteered to go with you Mike! Mug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: