Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Huaco Brewing Water = Liquid Rocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Huaco Brewing Water = Liquid Rocks Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I got my water profile back from Ward Labs today. Compared to Perogi's water, I could probably cut diamonds with this stuff. Where do I go from here?

WATER PROFILE 2012.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.85 KB
 Viewed:  18643 Time(s)

WATER PROFILE 2012.JPG

View user's photo album (10 photos)
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a water softener? Was this sample taken down stream of a softener? The reason I ask is between the chloride and sodium numbers that is what I suspect. As to the other values, it does not appear you can do a whole lot to get your sulphates up for a hoppy type of beer. The next course would be an RO system, stripping your water down to next to nothing as for mineral content, then adjusting it back up with gypsum, calcium chloride, epsom salts and baking soda.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my municipal small-town well water. The only 'treatment' after the municipal treatment was being run through my brewery filter. My thought is to cut the municipal water in half with RO water. Or heck... just start with RO water and build on that.
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to want to cut that with RO significantly. Your water will buffer very well so it will be difficult to drop the pH to a desired level without adding too much lactic acid. It will also help to allow you to raise sulfates without blowing out the Ca, Cl, and Mg.

Just today I got my water report too (second one, 6 months after the first). I am using a personal well in the rocky mountains and was shocked to see my spring time water was nearly identical to my fall weather water. I expected a big change as we get lots of snow melt in the spring and dry up very much by fall.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have your previous brews turned out with this water?
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have made dusseldorf altbier, irish red, and apa. Dus Alt took first place. The red is great. The APA is still in the fermenter.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your water is doing just fine Smile
kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get Crystal Springs water from Costco. It's almost perfect straight from the jug

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellzey wrote:
I get Crystal Springs water from Costco. It's almost perfect straight from the jug

Thinking of using something similar... There is a water place near my Folks house. We are over there quite a bit, so getting several 5-gallon carboys wouldn't be bad. It is RO water.
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on brewing something extremely light?
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
Are you planning on brewing something extremely light?

I would like to. Eventually I want to brew some light lager. I guess if I don't go much lighter than 15 srm I could probably just get by with what I have.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I started with just RO water, would I just plug all zeros into EZ Water as my starting point and go from there?
perogi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuppers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: