Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

calculating gravity points prior to sparge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: calculating gravity points prior to sparge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know how to calculate gravity points needed at preboil but I am not sure how to calculate the gravity you need be at prior to beginning run off into boil kettle given a known sparge volume. Does anyone know a method to determine this?
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gravity of your first runnings will depend on your mash stiffness. The stiffer the mash the higher the first runnings gravity. Use the chart below to find the gravity you should be at for the mash stiffness you're using. When you've reached this value, conversion efficiency will be at 100%.

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So given that we're recirculating during the mash, should we just consider "first runnings" to be the entire volume of wort in the MLT prior to sparging?
View user's photo album (6 photos)
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjofus1959 wrote:
So given that we're recirculating during the mash, should we just consider "first runnings" to be the entire volume of wort in the MLT prior to sparging?

Yes, that would be the case whether we were recirculating or not. The mash liquor should all be at the same gravity pretty much.
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chart is the key to determining your conversion efficiency. I do not know about others but I have not hit 100% yet. My understanding is that anything 95-100% is considered good. I have noticed that my conversion efficiency continues to go up if I mash more than an hour. Not sure what that says to all the talk I listen to suggesting that conversion is complete after an hour. That may be for regular and low gravity beers but not my experience with high gravity beer (>1.075)
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skelley wrote:
This chart is the key to determining your conversion efficiency. I do not know about others but I have not hit 100% yet. My understanding is that anything 95-100% is considered good. I have noticed that my conversion efficiency continues to go up if I mash more than an hour. Not sure what that says to all the talk I listen to suggesting that conversion is complete after an hour. That may be for regular and low gravity beers but not my experience with high gravity beer (>1.075)

The first time I used it was a couple of weeks ago and I hit 100%. My mash stiffness was 1.5 qt./lb. and I waited until I reached 19°P. Then I mashed out and sparged. If you're not hitting 100% or very close to it then you might have a pH problem preventing complete conversion. Even the concept of complete conversion is a little bit of a misnomer. It's not a binary process in the sense of "Is it converted? [yes] no" It's more a question of how converted is it? if you're going for a very fermentable wort (let's say a Belgian tripel for instance), then you may want some of the more complex sugars broken down even farther, beyond what would be considered "complete" conversion.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... So I'm a bit lost on this chart. This is simply showing CONVERSION right??? It is not mash efficiency right?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's conversion efficiency, not lauter efficiency. Conversion eff * lauter eff = brewhouse efficiency (which I think is what you're calling mash efficiency?).
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I read this right, if I am mashing with 1.24 qt/lb once the SG reaches 1.096, that's it... Done. No need to mash longer than that?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
So if I read this right, if I am mashing with 1.24 qt/lb once the SG reaches 1.096, that's it... Done. No need to mash longer than that?

You're not going to get any more sugar by mashing longer. You might get simpler sugars by mashing longer.
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting chart, ive never seen that before. I am trying to wrap my head around it - basically what that chart is saying is that with any quantity of grains you should achieve the same exact sugar count each time regardless of if you use 10lbs or 50lbs in your mash because the constant variable is your water to grist ratio. I suppose that makes sense although i would rely on people smarter than me to take it as a certainty, but if it was it would be a valuable troubleshooting tool. If you check your presparge wort gravity consistently and see the same results over and over then you know that your mash routine is dialed in. At that point your efficiency would be solely determined by your sparging techniques and your fermentability would still be controlled by your mash temp, grain selection and duration.

I think the part that confuses me is what if i put 5 lbs of crystal 40L into my mash and nothing else? There is virtually no diastatic power to crystal malts meaning you may not get sugars out of it? I know crystal malts do not contribute much in the way of fermentable sugars, but they do contribute sugars nonetheless. Im not suggesting the chart is flawed, but im trying to point out that if a brewer chose malts that didnt have enough diastatic power there would be less conversion and this chart doesnt take that into effect right? Does that even matter though? Where did you find that chart? Id love to see more info about it because if it works that would be an awesome way to improve repeatability that i never thought of.

Holter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:

I think the one thing you might be missing here is fermentability. Sure there are sugars in solution relatively quickly, but i have always read that the longer you mash (within reason) the more fermentable your wort will be. Give the enzymes time to work is the mantra i have read. Thats why when people make high gravity beers that they want to ferment dry they will extend their mash times.

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to braukaiser's full page...

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Brewhouse_Efficiency
View user's photo album (6 photos)
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holter wrote:
huaco wrote:

I think the one thing you might be missing here is fermentability. Sure there are sugars in solution relatively quickly, but i have always read that the longer you mash (within reason) the more fermentable your wort will be. Give the enzymes time to work is the mantra i have read. Thats why when people make high gravity beers that they want to ferment dry they will extend their mash times.

There's another reason for longer mash times when you need a more fermentable wort. Generally in these situations you're mashing cooler than normal (147-149°F). At these cooler temperatures, the enzymes (particularly alpha amylase) are less active and it might take longer for them to break down the dextrin chains into simple sugars that are easily fermentable.
CapnBry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is very interesting. I usually just mash until the iodine test looks good then move on and my (brewhouse) efficiency tends to be mid-70%s. I'm interested to start tracking this.

MtnBrewer wrote:

The first time I used it was a couple of weeks ago and I hit 100%. My mash stiffness was 1.5 qt./lb. and I waited until I reached 19°P

When you say your stiffness, do you include or exclude deadspace and volume in the HERMS loop? I usually calculate for 1.25 - 1.5qt/lb then add 0.19g for deadspace and 0.5g for HERMS tubing. That adds 19% to the volume of a 5 gallon batch's mash which would throw that chart off completely. I would think you'd have to include the additional volume if you hoped to hit the 100% mark, correct?
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapnBry wrote:
This topic is very interesting. I usually just mash until the iodine test looks good then move on and my (brewhouse) efficiency tends to be mid-70%s. I'm interested to start tracking this.

MtnBrewer wrote:

The first time I used it was a couple of weeks ago and I hit 100%. My mash stiffness was 1.5 qt./lb. and I waited until I reached 19°P

When you say your stiffness, do you include or exclude deadspace and volume in the HERMS loop? I usually calculate for 1.25 - 1.5qt/lb then add 0.19g for deadspace and 0.5g for HERMS tubing. That adds 19% to the volume of a 5 gallon batch's mash which would throw that chart off completely. I would think you'd have to include the additional volume if you hoped to hit the 100% mark, correct?

That's a good question, I'll have to think about that. My gut reaction says that x amount of grain in y amount of water will always give you a certain gravity even though parts of the mash are more concentrated than others. But you may be right, I'll ponder it.

ETA: After contemplating my navel for a little while I've come to the conclusion that my gut was right. Since the sugars produced by the mash are spread out over the entire volume of water, you don't need to subtract the volume in the HERMS coil or under the false bottom.
CapnBry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about that. Basically use total volume of water (including deadspace and coil) divided by grain weight, as the sugars should be evenly distributed throughout the liquid regardless of if it is under the false bottom or in the tubing.

I think I'll change my procedure from using 1.25qt/lb + 0.5g tubing + 0.19 deadspace to just using 1.5qt/lb flat (for most ales anyway). With my additions I was ending up at 1.40qt/lb for a 9 gallon batch and 1.49qt/lb for a 5 gallon batch anyway. Every time I learn something I immediately want to brew a batch to try it out. I need to step up my drinking to empty a keg.
MtnBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapnBry wrote:
I think I'll change my procedure from using 1.25qt/lb + 0.5g tubing + 0.19 deadspace to just using 1.5qt/lb flat (for most ales anyway).

This is exactly my procedure. The only time I will go below 1.5 is for a very big beer where I need more sparge water. So for a barley wine for example, I would go 1.0 qt/lb to reduce the amount of mash water and give me more sparge water with which to rinse the grain.
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brewed an APA with 30lbs of grain, milled at .040 and mashed with 11.25gal of water for a full 1.5 hours. I was able to run the pump wide open and temperatures tracked perfectly mashing at 149. My pH was 5.45. The odd thing is I could only get my first runnings to 1.069. I can not figure this out. Is it possible that I was getting channeling? Should I slow down the pump to give a longer contact time with mash? I ended up ok by simply running almost a 1hour 45 min sparge and grabbing an extra gallon to boil off. Any ideas?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skelley wrote:
I just brewed an APA with 30lbs of grain, milled at .040 and mashed with 11.25gal of water for a full 1.5 hours. I was able to run the pump wide open and temperatures tracked perfectly mashing at 149. My pH was 5.45. The odd thing is I could only get my first runnings to 1.069. I can not figure this out. Is it possible that I was getting channeling? Should I slow down the pump to give a longer contact time with mash? I ended up ok by simply running almost a 1hour 45 min sparge and grabbing an extra gallon to boil off. Any ideas?

Pumping slower doesn't give the water longer contact time with the mash. With recirculating mash setups you should pump hard and mill loose like you've done. It helps with extraction.

What sort of mash tun and false bottom do you have? Is the setup the same as mine? If you have a Blichmann with their false bottom as I do, you shouldn't have any channeling issues. If you have a different mash tun / false bottom I can't comment. (Sorry, there are 100's of users here all with different setups so I don't remember what you have).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: