Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Scottish Ale?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Scottish Ale? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone have a good starting recipe? I want to brew up some of my heritage!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Scottish Ale? Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
Anyone have a good starting recipe? I want to brew up some of my heritage!

I recommend you follow the Brewing Classic Styles recipe. Select an alcohol target and go to it. They have some tricks they use to avoid the need for kettle caramelization (extended boiling), which I like. I can post up their recipe if you don't have the book. Just tell me a target ABV (session beer, strong ale, or something in between).
crush

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Glasgow earlier this year and got to sample a few. For a scottish ale the malt and yeast are the key ingredients - I've had good results with maris otter and golden promise to bring a firm maltiness to the beer, and this combined with the Edinburgh yeast or any other malt-preserving yeast should be fine. The hops play a secondary role here, so low bittering with a neutral bittering hop, and a small amount of English flavoring hop will be fine.

Here's an overview of the style and some recipes
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/09/06/scotch-ale-recipes-beer-styles/

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: