Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

North Wall Brewing (working title) Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SookeBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Success! I completed the tile work over the last week or two and my electric brewery is officially, officially complete.

This project was a lot of fun to put together over the past year (almost to the day). I brewed my first "official" beer with the completed system last night and it is just a dream to brew on. My workshop has never been so clean because instead of stressing over temperatures and manually sparging, I had a lot of spare time!

Big thanks to Kal and all of you forum folk for the plans and advice and answers to my many question

CHEERS!

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, nice job! What was your first brew on your new system? Cheers, Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
Looks great, nice job! What was your first brew on your new system? Cheers, Castermmt

Well, technically it was the third brew with the system, but the first with the ventilation and everything else finished. It was the first one I would say went really "well" though - no problems with hitting temperatures, no overshooting, no problems with recirculation (I had a stuck recirc on the first 5 gallon batch, and had to gate the pump significantly on the first 10-gal batch).

And my home-made hop stopper performed admirably this time, only a scoop or two of liquid left in the boil kettle - I think using pellet hops helped.

I live about an hour from my LHBS so I buy lots of ingredients in bulk. I didn't have enough pale malt on hand to do anything big, so I brewed a simple bitter using Belma hops. 11 lbs pale, 2 lbs C60, about a half pound each of Vienna and Munich, some Carapils. An ounce of Belma at 60, 20, and flameout.

It's fermenting with US-05 nicely.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your (2) tier work table ROCKS! Do you have any instructions as to how you built it?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan810cows wrote:
Your (2) tier work table ROCKS! Do you have any instructions as to how you built it?

It's the instructions from this site. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-stand

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ryan810cows

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK!
ryan810cows

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Polishing Kegs Reply with quote

I wanted to follow the same steps you did for polishing your kegs up. Can you send me a link to it or your instructions? The suebob.com didn't work. Thanks
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21745

Short polishing instructions: Get a backing pad for an angle grinder. Start with a coarse or medium grit pad. These are red or blue, and kind of like a dish scrubber in texture. You can get pretty nice looking kegs just with the fine one. Now if you want to take it to the next level, get a cloth pad and polish. The polishes come in various colors and grits. I think the order from rougher to finer that I used most recently is black, gray, green, then pink.

I think for a more mirror finish, I need some of that car liquid metal gloss stuff.

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good tutorial for polishing kegs. Worked out great for me.
http://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1887.htm
ryan810cows

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! That's great!
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwdriver wrote:
Here's a good tutorial for polishing kegs. Worked out great for me.
http://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1887.htm

That is very good. One thing I'll add:
Take a break when your angle grinder starts to get particularly warm. Use that time to wipe off other parts of the keg with a rag (as mentioned at the link). Otherwise, the bolt that holds the forward handle on your angle grinder will get too hot and eventually shear off.

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the blue pad and the white pad at Blaines farm and fleet online. they were cheaper than Lowe's. My Lowe's did't carry the polishing pad.
yax75

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of how you mounted the ssr's? I am using the same ones and I am scratching my head as how they get mounted. Do you sandwich the ssr, the panel top and heat sink?

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: