Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Eric's basement brewery/cooler/etc. build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Bar cabinets installed today. The top cabinets have two taller cabinets on the sides and a shorter two door cabinet in the middle to accommodate five beer faucets in the middle there above the drip tray. I still need to install lights (you may notice some of the wires), and we're thinking about backsplash ideas, with stamped copper in the lead.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I love the grain/look of the wood of the cabinetry. Very nice indeed.

That's one mightly long drip tray... How many taps will you have? It looks long enoughto serve 10-12 taps!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
foomench

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drip tray is 36" long for 5 taps with 6" spacing, and 6" on the ends. That's more space between them than you would typically see at a bar, but this isn't a commercial bar.

The cabinets are all bamboo. (Well, the bottom one has black melamine on the inside.)

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking!
Mug
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Tim L

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamped copper sounds great! Great looking build.
snowtiger87

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Invite Reply with quote

You will have to invite me up for a look when you finish. I am in Thornton, CO.
foomench

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewery has a sink now:

And the cooler drywall has been completely mudded and the floor sealed and insulated:

I'm thinking about removing that painter's tape and using foil tape. We're going to put a floating floor of cork planks over that R-max board.

Update: Went home last night to find the contractor had removed the painter's tape and sealed all the seams with foil tape, and sealed floor-wall seams as well.

Last edited by foomench on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
foomench

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Invite Reply with quote

snowtiger87 wrote:
You will have to invite me up for a look when you finish. I am in Thornton, CO.

BTW, we have a pretty good Front Range contingent here on the board. All are invited to taste and see.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood is installed, but still is covered in protective film. An HVAC guy fabbed the cover of the 8" exhaust pipe on the top out of a piece of scrap stainless I had, so it still needs to be cleaned as well.

And I figured out that an Ikea 36" cabinet would be just big enough to hold the four bins of grain I use to store base malts that I purchase by the sack.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiller unit and cooler door installed. I'll probably clean up the chiller a little bit and see if I can fix the bent fins, but that will all be covered by a grill that is currently black. I'm going to get spray paint mixed to match the wall color and paint the grill with that. Door is an exterior house door, but I still might add an extra layer of insulation to the inside. I turned on the chiller last night just to make sure it still worked, setting it to 55F. The room and cooler were 67, but within an hour the cooler was 55 and the chiller shut off. Of course with no thermal mass in there nor anything to disrupt air flow, as soon as I opened the door, the chiller turned on again.

Cooler has a cork floor now too. The baseboard was chosen to be as low profile as possible, and black to match the metal of shelving and my wine racks. The thin wall pieces there divide the beer section from the wine section.

And this is a better view of the wall in the cooler that divides the beer section from the wine section. You can still see blue painters tape on various items as a second coat of paint is still to come. Below the room-to-room fan there (circumscribed wtih tape) is the mount for the vinyl strip door. You can just see a corner of the chilling unit on the top left.

I'll get my wife to take better pictures with a wide angle lens on a real camera when things are done. She's the semi-pro photographer in the house.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must invite me up when you are finished. I am in Thornton, CO, and nearing the completion of my e-brewery. I just have to wire up the main power cord and pumps, then water test.

I also want to install a walk-in cooler so I would like to see yours in person.
foomench

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowtiger87 wrote:
You must invite me up when you are finished. I am in Thornton, CO, and nearing the completion of my e-brewery. I just have to wire up the main power cord and pumps, then water test.

I also want to install a walk-in cooler so I would like to see yours in person.

The walk-in is close to completion, but you will probably be brewing before me. With all the construction I haven't had time to do all the work to convert my brew stand from propane fired BK to electric. I also am still trying to figure out how to do the two zone control of the cooler, but I'm hoping just the thermostat on the chiller and a Johnson controller for the fan will do a decent job. I wired two internet connections next to the chiller for something fancier.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racking installed in cooler, along with curtain door for the beer section. And I did some test fitting. In the beer section I can fit 6 cornies, my 14.5 gallon Fermenator, and at least one gas bottle, possibly two (didn't have the second as it needed to be swapped). Of course the gas bottles don't actually have to be in the beer section if I need more room. Also, I plan to put some shelves in the beer section as well.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! So this is wine racking you're going to be using for beer? You must do a lot of bottle aged beers I guess?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
foomench

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nice! So this is wine racking you're going to be using for beer? You must do a lot of bottle aged beers I guess?
Kal

I refer to the beer section and wine section of the cooler, but really it is a 45 degree F section and a 55 F section, with the former primarily for beer and the latter primarily for wine, but in reality there will be some white wine and Champagne in the colder section, and plenty of beer in the warmer section too.

I have a lot of beer and wine (~500 bottles, mostly Port). The racking is primarily for the wine, but the beers I make the most of are barrel aged specialties that I often put in Belgian bombers and similar bottles. Currently the six kegs contain:
- Belgian Wit aged in a gin barrel
- Baltic Porter aged in a Bourbon barrel (also have 5 gallons in another keg for bottling)
- Black IPA aged in a Bourbon barrel dry hopped with Chinook
- Black IPA aged in a Bourbon barrel dry hopped with Zeus
- English Olde Ale aged in a whiskey barrel (should probably bottle some of this)
- Dopplebock

Beers I have made in the past few years in bottles:
- Belgian Quad aged in a Merlot barrel
- Belgian Golden Strong aged in a Merlot barrel
- Foreign Export Stout aged with cherries in a Merlot barrel
- Friek, a pro-am beer I made with Odell brewing. It is a blended kriek, some of which is aged in oak. They've scaled it up and now release it once a year. I still have about a case each of the first three bottled releases.

And I have a number of commercial beers in bottles that I keep and age, e.g. Odell Woodcut series.

-Eric

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless steel fab order arrived last Friday. I put "veneers" on the cabinet doors and the contractor installed the countertop on the grain storage cabinet. Backsplash is up next for installation.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellente! Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I drilled the holes through the wall for the faucet shanks, and last night I drilled out the stainless steel backsplash. Here's a test fit of the backsplash. Plan is to stick it to the wall tonight, then install faucets (all with stainless rings). I'm not sure when I'll take that protective coating off.

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you think this is going to cost to keep cool?
foomench

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
How much do you think this is going to cost to keep cool?

Less than using an iPhone! Actually, there are some doubts as to that claim.

The walls are framed 2x4, insulated with vapor barrier on the outside, and then the inside has an extra layer of 1" R-Max board, and then "greenboard" sheetrock on both sides. I suspect it will take less electricity than two refrigerators, and I'm hoping it is closer to one. Where I live (~$0.06/kwh), that's $35-70/year. Working in my favor, I'm only planning on keeping the beer side at 45 F. I suppose I can put my Kill-A-Watt on it after things are up and running.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: