Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Pseudo Poll - When is a recipe YOUR recipe??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Pseudo Poll - When is a recipe YOUR recipe?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Howdy all,

When does a published recipe become your recipe? In other words, if you use a published recipe as a base and you make changes - how different does your recipe need to be before you can call it "yours"?

Curious what everyone's take is on this.

Thanks,
perogi.
Fatbaldingoldgit

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own view...given that its not possible to patent or copyright a recipe is that once you have altered a recipe it becomes, de facto, your own...it's really a moral issue more than anything..and only becomes a practical one if the recipe you are copying/modifying has a really unique element to it that causes it to stand out from its peers..it's difficult to justify saying its your own recipe if you have copied and modified something so unusual that it becomes obvious its not something you have thought of yourself.

My own Old Flatulent is a derivation of a recipe i found in a published beer book...mind you there isn't much originality in either the source recipe or my own derivation..and how much variation can there be in brewing malt, hops and water anyway!

The name is original though!

Smile

View user's photo album (3 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FBOG!

Anyone else have any thoughts about this subject?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fatbaldingoldgit - you can't copyright recipes but that doesn't meant you can't be nice and mention the source if you have one that's very close to something else.

Some of my fav's are one-offs others and I always try to mention the original source to give them credit.

I would say that it's pretty hard to have a 100% original recipe these days.

A recipe is only half the story too - it's all about the brewing process. A bunch of local brewers got together about 2 years ago and we all brewed the exact same simple APA recipe. You had to stick to the recipe, yeast, fermentation temp, etc. The one thing we didn't stipulate was water adjustments as not everyone knew how or did it. At the end we all got together to taste the results. It was quite varied which just goes to show (as a I've always known) that the process is as (if not more) important than the recipe.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: