Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Now comes the Keezer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wubears71

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Now comes the Keezer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Dang you Kal! I love my electric brewery so much that I will be brewing much more than I ever thought. My original intent was to turn the basement fridge into a kegerator with the capacity it hold two ball locks and my miscellaneous bottled beer. However I soon realized I need something that can do 4-6 kegs so I can always have a couple on tap and a couple conditioning. With that being said I bought a Frigidaire 8.8 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer found here at Lowes ($287.10 + free shipping).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_90724-2251-LFFC09M5HW_0__?productId=3047202

My intent is to build a collar with 2 taps for now and. Love controller overriding the internal thermostat. Then in the long term this will be a 4 tap coffin style keezer to match my humi I built in 2008/2009.

The difference will be me using Honduran mahogany in place of the Walnut since I still have about 300 BF of rough mahogany laying around. Unfortunately with an 18 month old my woodworking projects take about 5x as long as it did years ago, which is why I'm going with a collar in the short term.

I think my wife is getting sick of me saying "all I want to buy is ...."

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the humidor.

If you need to get rid of some of that mahogany, keep me in mind Wink
hinked

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perogi! When you turn your three way switch to either boil or HLT do both of your relays ( boil and HLT) close at the same time?
wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinked wrote:
Perogi! When you turn your three way switch to either boil or HLT do both of your relays ( boil and HLT) close at the same time?

No but I smoke a cigar.

Haha. Wrong thread.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
Well done on the humidor.

If you need to get rid of some of that mahogany, keep me in mind Wink

I got a heck of a deal on that stuff. My local mahogany dealer was trying to ger rid of a bunch of shorts. He had a pallet with a bunch of stuff that was less than 8" wide and varied in length from about 4' to 6'. He only wanted $150 for the pallet and he figured there was about 50 bf on it. Since I am 6" jointer man and have to rip just about anything down anyway and then edge glue this was perfect. He threw in another pallet which was twice the size of this one just to clear out all the "crap" that he cannot really sell.

It filled my truck bed completely and when I measured it I had nearly 400 BF of mahogany. Talk about the score of the century since it normally sells for $14/bf.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wubears71 wrote:
Dang you Kal! I love my electric brewery so much that I will be brewing much more than I ever thought.

You can never have enough kegs or enough fridge/keezer space! Figure out what you think you need, then double it. You will eventually want that extra space. (I say that jokingly but it's somewhat true). Wink

I need to find more room myself and get a few more kegs too now that I'm switching from 4 to 8 taps.

My keezer holds 8 but I'd really like to have room in a separate fridge/keezer for 4 more to condition/lager near freezing so that they're ready to go when one of the 8 on tap pops. Ideally I'd want it in the same keezer (not possible) so that when one pops I can just change the QD over instead of having to move around full kegs.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size of freezer would hold 12 kegs. This is something I'm thinking of doing instead of building a walk-in cooler.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12? WOW... I am humbled. I thought I was getting big by hoping to build a keezer that holds 2 or 3 kegs.

Are you planning on having the majority on tap while conditioning in the remainder? I guess that amount of space would be needed... (12) 5 gallon kegs just seems like SO much beer to me...
View user's photo album (10 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: How much beer can Canadiens/Canadians brew in a year (legally)?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben58 wrote:
What size of freezer would hold 12 kegs. This is something I'm thinking of doing instead of building a walk-in cooler.

Were you asking me? I have no idea. I just meant that I'd like to be able to have 12 available, not necessarily in the same keezer.

Kal

Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather and I thoroughly enjoy brewing beer, so it would be nice to be able to condition what we make at a proper temperature. There won't always be 12 kegs in the keezer. As to the volume allowed to be brewed by us, I don't believe we have limits. Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben58 wrote:
As to the volume allowed to be brewed by us, I don't believe we have limits. Mug

Good question. I don't believe there are limits to how much you can brew in Canada at home.

In the US, you're limited to producing 100 gallons per year for a single-person residence. If there are two or more people in the residence, then it is 200 gallons per year.

While that's a lot of beer, I doubt that anyone has ever been fined or caught for making more when it comes to home use (not retail/sales).

Kal

wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some great progress on the keezer this week. Here are a few pics.

All the parts. It's amazing just how much goes into it when you lay it all out.

Dry fitting the collar before assembling.

This freezer easily accommodates 6 kegs and CO2.

The collar all insulated and all wired up with the first coat of the hand rubbed finish on it. Two more applications to go and it will be ready.

If all goes well, I should be done this weekend

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice - that wood looks light for mahogany - did you go with something else? Also, what kind of finish did you use - paste wax?
wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
Very nice - that wood looks light for mahogany - did you go with something else? Also, what kind of finish did you use - paste wax?

Nope. That is honduran mahogany. It darkens up considerably when exposed to UV light but this was just milled and sanded this week. The rough cut boards were a deep, dark reddish color that one typically thinks of when one hears mahogany. I use general finishes which is basically a polyurethane, BLO, tung oil mix. It's my favorite hand rubbed finish. I knock down the first two coats with 0000 steel wool before applying the next coat. The final finish is amazingq.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sweet! Is it equal parts poly, BLO and tung oil? (If it is a secret recipe, I understand Smile )
wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
Very sweet! Is it equal parts poly, BLO and tung oil? (If it is a secret recipe, I understand Smile )

Honestly I have no idea. It's something David Marks turned me onto years ago and it works great. I just buy it at woodcraft or rockler

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10928

The key is that no matter what finish you go for always use gloss except for the last coat. For instance if you want a satin finish you do 2 coats of gloss and the 1 coat of satin. Otherwise the finish will get hazy.

Also I always use a wood conditioner before finishing. This one is my favorite - another General Finishes.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10930&site=ROCKLER

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I'm not sure what's nicer: The keezer collar or those 6 brand new kegs! (Mine all have dents and stickers...) Smile

Kal

wubears71

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nice work! I'm not sure what's nicer: The keezer collar or those 6 brand new kegs! (Mine all have dents and stickers...) Smile

Kal

Thanks. I decided to go with new ones since the cost difference between new ones and refurbs were not considerable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: