Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Dreadnaught clone

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Dreadnaught clone Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am planning on brewing a dreadnaught clone with my new system on Saturday. I directions call for mashing at 159 degrees. The grain bill has 32.5 lbs of two row base malt and 2.5 lbs of melanoidin malt. This seems hight. Has anyone else mashed in a beer at this temp. If you have not had this beer it is great and considered a variant of IPA with 100 IBU and 8.1% ABV. I was just a little worried about this and wanted to make sure it was not a misprint. Would I be better mashing at 152 or 154.
Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about that beer but that seems really high.

When I make a stronger IPA or an IIPA that's around 7-9% I always mash low, like 148-150F. The higher initial gravity means that the final gravity after fermentation will be higher so you don't want the beer to be cloyingly sweet. For some of the very strong IIPAs or Barley Wines I'll even add sugar which is 100% fermentable.

See some of my stronger beers in the recipes section for examples of what mash temp was used and what the starting/ending gravities were: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/recipes

Yeast comes into play as well of course. They don't all attenuate the same way.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the value of 159 given may simply be the htl water strike temp with assumption of loss of heat as mashing progresses? Not everyone can maintain a constant temp like your system does. I hear some refer to a mash temp 10-15 degrees below strike temp.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. It may be strike temp but it seems a bit low for that. Do you have a link to where this is all written?

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I started googling:

I also plugged some numbers in Beer Tools Pro.

1.084 to 1.021 is 75% attenuation which is fairly aggressive for Fullers WY1968 which tends to not attenuate well.
I mashed my last 5.8% ESB fermented with WY1968 at 148F because that's what Fullers does because their yeast does not attenuate well. Took the 1.058 beer down to 1.014 which is 75.9% attenuation.
Recipe is here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25410

The 159F doesn't seem like a typo however.

See:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22738

Though these guys give a more typical 152F as do others:

http://www.brew365.com/beer_three_floyds_dreadnaught.php

Some give a 1.030 FG which seems high too. I dunno. I've never tried the beer.

Kal

skelley

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. A great beer if you get a chance. I would be happy to send you one if you let me know how.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer but sending beer/liquor across the borders I'm pretty sure would not work... I don't think it's allowed. Thanks anyway!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: