Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lboe12

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Basement Door Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Kal, your basement has inspired me to get down in mine and make something awesome.

I was wondering if you could post some materials/details on the sliding basement door. I have a similar idea for my basement and think the look is awesome.

Thanks!
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Basement Door Reply with quote

lboe12 wrote:
Hey Kal, your basement has inspired me to get down in mine and make something awesome.

I was wondering if you could post some materials/details on the sliding basement door. I have a similar idea for my basement and think the look is awesome.

Thanks!

+1 I'm planning the same thing between my brew room and laundry/mechanical room. Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Basement Door Reply with quote

lboe12 wrote:

Hi! The door was custom made by a fine wood worker and is the same sorts of panels that are used around the fireplace and on the bar front. If you flip through this thread I did post information and pictures on the design and materials used, including a mockup of how the aluminum channel was done.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Cr0ss0veR

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, noticed your basement on the CHIVE today. In an album called "If your basement looks like this, congratulations, you win.

Cheers
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0ss0veR wrote:
Hey Kal, noticed your basement on the CHIVE today. In an album called "If your basement looks like this, congratulations, you win.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

Here's a link:

http://thechive.com/2014/11/10/if-your-basement-looks-like-this-congratulations-you-win-32-photos/

(See #26)

So what do I win? Wink

Kal

idingle

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Garage/Brewery build Reply with quote

Hey Kal -

Just checking out your basement brewery - nice work! We are looking to build a garage in rural Alberta and realize it's not right to build one without the essentials:
-brewery and
-dogwash.

How are you finding the space in your 13x11 brewery?

Any advice on plumbing, electrical, or heating that could be built into the building?

We're running on a well system and into a septic tank/field.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Ian
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage/Brewery build Reply with quote

idingle wrote:
Just checking out your basement brewery - nice work! We are looking to build a garage in rural Alberta and realize it's not right to build one without the essentials:
-brewery and
-dogwash.

How are you finding the space in your 13x11 brewery?

Works for me! How much space you need will vary from one person to another depending on how much they like to brew, how much they like to have on tap, etc. Most of the space is taken up by the conditioning fridge, shelves for grain, freezer for hops/yeast, and keezer for kegs that are on tap. If I wanted to have twice as many kegs "on the go" I'd need more space. If I only wanted to have 2 beers on tap then I could do with a lot less space. The actual brew day equipment that everyone uses as described in my build instructions more less stays the same size.

Quote:
Any advice on plumbing, electrical, or heating that could be built into the building?

Without more specific questions or knowing your needs or what you have to work with, I'm not sure what to suggest. You need water for the brewing process, and electrical brewing needs electricity. If it's cold you need heat. Wink

Good luck!

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year from now I'll be either building or buying a new home, and in the meantime I'm coming up with some brewery/bar design ideas for my basement. This thread is extremely helpful, and I've pieced together a bunch of ideas and answers to my questions from this thread and other threads all over the forum/website.

Regarding the glycol/antifreeze beer line chiller you have set up, is there any reason you decided to go with a copper loop inside of your freezer instead of just putting the pump/reservoir itself in the freezer? I am most likely going to use an upright fridge with a top freezer as my keg fridge and thought it would be easier to place the pump/reservoir in the top (along with hops/yeast) and route the lines into the fridge somehow and merge into a trunk line from there.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
Regarding the glycol/antifreeze beer line chiller you have set up, is there any reason you decided to go with a copper loop inside of your freezer instead of just putting the pump/reservoir itself in the freezer?

You can try it, but I don't think you'd get enough chilling that way as the container's not in direct contact with the source of chilling. The copper loop I use today is directly against the freezer chilling coils on the side of the wall.

In my bar/tap setup in the previous house I used an upright fridge with a freezer compartment on top (similar to what you want to do) and I did a similar thing: The copper coil was placed on the bottom of the freezer directly against the metal where the freezer freon is circulated. I even put a large 10lb dumbbell weight on it to keep the copper loop completely flat against the metal for maximum chilling.

Pictures from the previous bar (the fridge was recessed in the wall & painted black):

Condensation on taps on summer days when the in-house humidity was higher (I get the same thing now but rarely since we usually don't let the in-house humidity ever get much higher than 50% RH):

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it won't produce enough cooling power just by nature of being in the freezer... that makes sense, I should have thought of that. I think I'll probably still keep the pump in the freezer as I anticipate having more room in there, but adding a coil makes sense.

I assume you used barbed connectors (like those Micromatic sells) for connecting hoses to the trunk line - what about connecting hoses to the copper loop - I'm assuming just a hose clamp?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungsten wrote:
So it won't produce enough cooling power just by nature of being in the freezer... that makes sense, I should have thought of that. I think I'll probably still keep the pump in the freezer as I anticipate having more room in there, but adding a coil makes sense.

Sure - I can't imagine there will be any problems keeping it in the freezer. I have perfect hump for in the keezer so that's where I originally placed it, found it wasn't cold enough, so cut into the loop and added a copper coil in the freezer right next to it.

Quote:
I assume you used barbed connectors (like those Micromatic sells) for connecting hoses to the trunk line

Correct.

Quote:
what about connecting hoses to the copper loop - I'm assuming just a hose clamp?

Yup - that was good enough. I actually have some connectors with barbed on one end (hoseend ) and compression on the other (Copper pipe end) that I figured I should use to "do it right" when I get around to taking pictures/putting together instructions, but it hasn't leaked in ~10 years. Wink

Kal

jimexcelcs

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Gee thanks Reply with quote

Hi there. Thank you so much for your inspirational basement. I've already started construction on a new house that will have a similar setup.

For now, I just need to know where you got that badass fireplace. I've seen similar but nothing quite like that one. I want.

Thanks!
Jim
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gee thanks Reply with quote

jimexcelcs wrote:
Hi there. Thank you so much for your inspirational basement. I've already started construction on a new house that will have a similar setup.

For now, I just need to know where you got that badass fireplace. I've seen similar but nothing quite like that one. I want.

Link to the exact model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2RQCY4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00A2RQCY4&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=DQZPCUBQPUEDFIDJ

More info earlier in this thread here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=291868#291868

Make sure to skim/read most of this entire build thread as I talk about this fireplace in quite a few places and give some installation hints/tips.

Good luck with the basement Jim!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat May 30, 2015 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimexcelcs

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Make sure to skim/read most of this entire build thread as I talk about this fireplace "

I figured as much. Unfortunately, the search function of this forum software leaves a little to be desired. I could not find such discussions.

But THANKS. I see where you stated you paid $2600 instead of the 4k listed on the Amazon link. Could you share your source or did I misinterpret that?

Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimexcelcs wrote:
But THANKS. I see where you stated you paid $2600 instead of the 4k listed on the Amazon link. Could you share your source or did I misinterpret that?

That was a local distributor that our design/build company used (local to Ottawa Canada). I believe they get a designer/commercial discount, not available to individuals. You can try asking your builder.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat May 30, 2015 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimexcelcs wrote:
I figured as much. Unfortunately, the search function of this forum software leaves a little to be desired. I could not find such discussions.

Not sure what you feel is missing. Search for keyword "fireplace" by user "kal" in the "Building your Brewery" forum, and display results as "posts". You can "return all characters" of the post so that you see everything. You'll get 16 results, which is quick to go through. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Or google the following:

Code:
fireplace site:http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25593

Direct links to posts:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=293665#293665
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=293287#293287
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=291868#291868
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=291871#291871
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=294197#294197
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=292723#292723
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=292248#292248

Good luck!

Kal

Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
OkieDokie wrote:
kal, you might have mentioned this in other posts, but it's easier to ask again. How many 5 gallon kegs can you fit into your conditioning frig?

Six.

Quote:
If you could take a picture of the insides, a bit closer up than some of the other photos, I'd like to try to mimic that.

Quote:
Also, could you show a bit how you rigged the CO2 tanks as well.

Not sure I understand. It goes Tank -> regulator -> gas line -> gas QD -> keg
You can splice it any way you like. I spliced it 6 ways.

Quote:
If you could tell us the brand of the Frig and the cubic inches, that would help. Thanks.

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UW2524/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000UW2524&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

Kal

Kal -

I just wanted to get some current feedback on this refrigerator.
I have a line on a gently used one of these with the glass door and wanted to see if you have remained happy with the thing.

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Walleye wrote:
I just wanted to get some current feedback on this refrigerator.
I have a line on a gently used one of these with the glass door and wanted to see if you have remained happy with the thing.

Yup! I have zero issues. Keep in mind that it is commercial which means that (a) the fan runs all the time to keep temps even since commercial fridges tend to get opened/closed a lot, and (b) the fan is not quiet (since it doesn't have to be in a commercial environment). I wouldn't want this fridge in my kitchen or any other living space for that matter.

Kal

jbrace1

Drinking: Saison de Sol, Summer Noon, Labor Day Pale Ale, Cold Press Coffee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the glass door model in my brewery (furnace room) for nearly a year. No issues.

My wife runs a bakery out of our house and uses the shelves for cooling cakes and cupcakes almost every day so it gets much more use than just conditioning kegs.

I can get 6 cornies and a 5lb CO2 tank with regulator on the floor.
View user's photo album (20 photos)
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Kal and Jbrace, looks like this will be the next addition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 23 of 26
Jump to: