Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, did you ever post a picture of the kegerator/keezer-side of your trunk line?
I would be interested to see how the barrier hose connects to the ball-lock disconnects, and what sort of a solution you have for the stiffness of the hoses and their different routes inside the kegerator/keezer.

(if such a picture is already somewhere, please point it out. I went through the pages but didnt see one)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't! It's a mess of hoses and I haven't really organized them enough to be picture worthy (yet). Wink

The barrier hose connects to the ball-lock QDs using barbed fittings, same way it does to the tower end barb fittings:

Hard to see, but you just heat up the barrier tubing by dunking it in very hot water and then slide it on and hold it secure with a worm clamp.

The barrier tubing is stiff but it can still turn 180 degrees in the space of the keezer. I've been using similar stuff since about 2004-2005 without any problems.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Lumpyyyyy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I may have missed, but what about a picture of your keezer setup? I imagine it's quite impressive considering you have an 8 tap system to dispense it all.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpyyyyy wrote:
Another thing I may have missed, but what about a picture of your keezer setup? I imagine it's quite impressive considering you have an 8 tap system to dispense it all.

Good question - more details please Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any pictures of the inside - sorry! It's nothing fancy: 8 kegs in a keezer with gas lines split 8 ways to 8 gas QDs, and 8 beer QDs attached.

Kal

ELA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, I noticed in your updated brewery pics at the front of this thread you have a microwave oven in your brewery. Is it somehow used for ingredient prep or something?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! It's mostly for heating water for when I need to dissolve some gelatine for clearing up beer before packaging. It was a leftover unit from the old house that wouldn't fit into our new kitchen so I was happy to steal it for the brewery.... Avoids trips up the down the stairs. It's amazing how much time you save when you have everything in one spot and aren't running around the house!

Kal

OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definitely an inspiration to us all! Congrats and you deserve it! Next time i am up there, i am coming over for a pint! Wait i've never been to Canada before. Maybe a good excuse. Thanks Kal.
brown

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, first time commenter but I've read it cover-to-cover. Nice to see this all going down in my home province.

One thought I had:

Quote:
A kept the weep hole in the fan and temporarily placed a small bowl below to catch the drippings. There's about half a cup to a cup of water that drips out over a 60 min boil. I empty it at the end of the brew day.

I want to eventually drain into the hood drain trough that runs all around the hood using a piece of hose (vinyl or similar). That would be simpler.

I'd like to also try completely insulating the exhaust vent to try and keep the steam as warm as possible (so that it condenses less) and then simply plug the weep hole and see what happens. If the steam is kept warm enough and the run is short, no weep hole might be needed.

Wouldn't it be nice to combine the weep hole from the exhaust hood into the trap primer for the floor drain in the brewery? Might be too late now since all the flooring is done, but that would have been an elegant solution to two unconnected problems.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brown,

Yup - that could have been done but not easily as the trap primer for the brewery floor drain is beneath the taps in the bar, quite a ways off. Would have been also possible to go into the sink drain that's right there in the brewery and hide the plumbing in the wall. That would have been another option I suppose.

It's an interesting idea however and at first glance seems like a way to keep the trap printer water fresh or drained but there's no so little water that comes out of the fan: When I brew in the summer, I only get about 1/2 cup and in the winter maybe 1 cup at most. Draining that little amount of water once a month or so isn't probably enough. There would be no easy way for me to flush it with more water (other than maybe throwing a hose up from the tap in the hood trough?).

I remember thinking about this draining but thought it maybe best to keep it separate and in the room. It was difficult enough to get all the things lined up exactly, adding extra plumbing fixtures for the hood up to would have put me over the deep end. Wink

The other thing I'm not sure of is if draining like this would be allowed by code even if you made up some sort of p-trap after the hood and fan. These hoods all seem to come with an NPT fitting somewhere underneath where you can hook up a drain hose and I bet in most places they just affix it to the wall with c-clamps or similar and drain into a sink or the sort of plumbing off the sink drain that you see for washing machines. I did actually do something similar for the wort chiller - instead of the dangling hose for the heated water from the chiller like before:

I put in a Tee in under the sink drain line so that the hose could attach there and be out of the way. Sort of like this:

Kal

brown

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I didn't realize the fan ran so dry. I figured you'd get a lot more from each brew.

I'm not sure on the code for fan drains, but I do know that the laundry sink in my house has an auto-priming tube that runs a line (similar in diameter to what feeds a fridge ice maker) down to my floor drain in the basement. The house is ~20 years old, so at least there's a precedent for that. Maybe you can move the current primer from the glass rinse feeder line over to the p-trap under the bar sink and steal a bit every time you run that faucet to prime the drain. As long as there's enough water in the floor drain trap to block sewer gas, you'd be fine. It would also be one less thing to remember to do every month or so.

That's a great idea for draining the counter flow chiller. I've always used an immersion chiller, but after seeing yours I started to do some research. I'm picking up a chiller/evap coil meant for AC applications that will perform similarly to what you have. If you're interested in the specs, the manufacturer is Packless and the model number is CHBX-3100-H.

http://www.packless.com/catalog/ItemView.aspx?id=139
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brown wrote:
I'm not sure on the code for fan drains, but I do know that the laundry sink in my house has an auto-priming tube that runs a line (similar in diameter to what feeds a fridge ice maker) down to my floor drain in the basement. The house is ~20 years old, so at least there's a precedent for that.

Yup - our basement laundry tub in the furnace room has the same thing. Problem is I rarely use that sink now anymore so I have to remember to run it once and a while to flush things out. Wink

Mine also uses a simple hose similar to yours so I guess you're right: You're ok using something like that up in the ceiling. Not sure how comfortable I'd be actually having it closed off in the ceiling however. Friends of ours had a similar line that fed into their furnace humidifier that over the last 20 years was in contact with the supply duct (which can run hot) and the line dried up and got brittle and cracked. The line's under house water pressure so they flooded their basement. Yikes!

Quote:
Maybe you can move the current primer from the glass rinse feeder line over to the p-trap under the bar sink and steal a bit every time you run that faucet to prime the drain. As long as there's enough water in the floor drain trap to block sewer gas, you'd be fine. It would also be one less thing to remember to do every month or so.

I'm not sure it's something you can do with any sort of faucet. The faucet in our basement laundry tub has a special connection point on the back for this special little hose. Our bar sink faucet does not. It has to be after the supply line otherwise it'll run all the time, so it has to be up inside the actual faucet.

I agree having to run it once and a while isn't the best solution. The plumber told me to flush it with a bit of water every 6 to 12 months or so.

brown wrote:
I'm picking up a chiller/evap coil meant for AC applications that will perform similarly to what you have. If you're interested in the specs, the manufacturer is Packless and the model number is CHBX-3100-H.

Interesting - I've never seen or heard of convoluted chillers (like our wort chillers) used in different applications. Makes sense that others would be using something similar.

Kal

BBM3

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kal,
You have built the most amazing "basement" we have ever seen.
Every detail is well planed, well executed, and just flat out perfect.
Love it!

Congrats,
Bill and Nancy
Colorado USA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments Bill & Nancy. Most of the kudos go to Just Basements Ottawa, the design/build firm that was able to pull it all off.

Cheers,

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 2013 update: The Just Basements team won first place in the "basement renovation/addition" category at the 2013 Ottawa Housing Design Awards with the work they did on our basement. Congratulations to Norm and his team!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news Kal!
Well designed and well deserved!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm hoping it brings them plenty of new work... they deserve it!

Kal

rockinmarty

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my November issue of BYO. Nice to see your brewery in there Kal!
Congrats.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I didn't know how the photos would be used so I was a bit surprised to see a giant (somewhat dorky) picture of me!:

Kal

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen that this week as well. Nice work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 20 of 26
Jump to: