Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Kal's basement Brewery/Bar/Home Theatre build 2.0 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone!

We moved in 2011 so a new basement brewery/bar was required. After many months, the design has now been finalized and construction starts tomorrow and is expected to take approximately 3-5 months. We are using a local design/build firm called Just Basements that, as the name would imply, only does basements. Tell Norm that Kal sent you!

October 2013 update: Our basement project won Just Basements the 2013 Housing Design Award Winner for Basement Renovation from the Greater Ottawa Home Builder's Association (GOHBA). Congratulations to Norm and his team!

We wanted our new basement to include:

- A brewery
- A front bar to serve the beers I make on tap along with some wine storage
- A seating / lounge area with fireplace
- A Home Theatre with seating for six (two rows of three)
- Storage for our movies
- A Bathroom with urinal, shower, toilet
- A Sauna

Pretty much all the things we had previously in the old basement. The urinal/sauna/shower in the bathroom however would be new. The new basement has more room, so we now have room to expand some of these items.

My wife and I spent considerable time prior to contacting Just Basements, trying to figure out how to how to fit this all this in and not overcrowd things or end up with an odd arrangement. This biggest issue is that our basement has a central staircase which leaves us with a giant "U" shaped area to work with. Try as we might, we weren't able to figure out how to make it all work. Fortunately Just Basements has experience doing just this and they were able to make it all fit and work well ergonomically.

The new brewery will use identical equipment and layout as before as documented at TheElectricBrewery.com, but we will have considerably more room to work in and the brewery will be combined with fermentation, conditioning, and serving (my previous basement brewery was only used for wort creation - the sugary liquid that eventually becomes beer). Generally more space for everything, everything in one spot.

The new brewery (13' wide x 11' deep) will hold:

- One large 50x23" chest freezer (keezer) for the 8 kegs of beer on tap controlled by a temperature controller.
- A smaller 32x22" 5.5 cu foot chest freezer to hold yeast and hops that will also serve as a chiller for the cooling fluid for the 8-tap tower
- A 6-keg conditioning/lagering fridge for kegs that are waiting to go on tap
- One 24x60" stainless work table: Without backsplash for the 3 kettles
- Two 24x48" stainless work tables: With backsplash to the left of the sink so that I can more easily clean the MLT kettle while boiling (something I didn't have before)

- A 48" wide by 24" deep by 84" high stainless steel shelving unit with 4 shelves for grain storage (8 buckets of grain per shelf), more storage in general
- Enough room to add optional future temperature controlled conicals for fermenting.

The bar area will be larger than before and include 8 beers on tap (4 on tap previously), storage for red wine, and a small fridge (beverage center) for white wine and other drinks.

The Home Theater will be similar to our previous setup seen here. I'll be using mostly the same equipment (for now) other than the projector. It'll likely be a JVC RS46 or RS56 (digital) with a 17'9" throw to put it over the second row of seats. Still deciding between the two. We'll see how much money I have left at the end of all this. Wink

Seating will be the same 2 rows of 3 I used previously (Jaymar 56000 series) with the fronts of the seats at 9' and 16' from the screen. That puts the heads about 11' and 18' from the screen. A 12" high riser will be used for the second row. The screen will remain 96x54" which is approximately 110" diagonal.

The sound will be 5.1 like before but I'll pre-wire to do 7.1 for an extra set of side surrounds - just in case. I won't be using conduit for the speaker wire but will be using it for the projector (speaker wiring technology hasn't really changed in 40+ years while the way we send signals to TVs/projectors seems to change yearly).

There will be a room behind the screen to allow for a possible future 2.35:1 accoustically transparent screen in order to do Constant Image Height (CIH) as is done in movie theatres to SMPTE standards if I ever choose to go that route. For now the extra wall is nice as it'll help reduce mechanical noise from the furnace/hot water tank/HRV. It will also allow easy access for the wiring.

The Home Theatre equipment rack will be set in the wall behind the screen just outside the bathroom.

DVD/Blu-ray storage will be done by two rows of 7' wide, floor to ceiling shelves shown in the pictures below between the sauna and the mechanical room (unfinished area). We are basically doubling the amount of DVD/Blu-ray space as we were starting to run out of room.

As far as style, my wife and I both prefer clean modern lines. The basement style will therefore be very 'linear'. Lots of straight lines and 90 degree angles, minimizing the use of curves.

I'll post pictures as things progress. Update: Some new final pictures have been added below.

LINKS:

List of paint colours and tiles used
Bar/draft equipment list
How the bar taps, beer lines, and glass rinser are connected
Furniture/Seating/Art/lights
Sliding door hanging hardware
Woodworking design including fireplace and sliding door panel inset design

DESIGN:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The photos below not marked as copyright (c) TheElectricBrewery.com are copyright (c) doublespace photography and may not be reproduced or reused without their consent.

For complete construction details on how we got there, read on!

----------

Ordering the products listed above (or any other product) using our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:31 pm; edited 63 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so sweet!

Need any new friends? Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: Ordering the products listed below (or any other product) using our links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

-------------

I've also ordered the necessary components for the bar tap setup, which includes:

This T-Tower:

I did a lot of research into towers and went through 2 or 3 designs before settling on this T-design mostly for the narrow width. There are many sellers/manufacturers of towers. Most use vinyl line inside the towers for the beer, which I don't like. This one has stainless product lines and copper glycol lines. The beer will only ever be in contact with barrier tubing or stainless. No vinyl at all. The shanks are stainless too (most others are brass). The copper glycol lines mean more efficient cooling of the shanks, though all towers seem to use copper.

The faucet handles have to be ordered separately.

I won't be using the stainless faucets it comes with. Instead, I'm using my existing Vent-Matic forward sealing faucets (discontinued) for 6 of the faucets. They are similar to Intertap and Perlick faucets available today:

Link: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/intertap-stainless-steel-beer-faucet
Link: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/perlick-stainless-steel-beer-faucet

Homebrewers really need to use forward sealing faucets. Normal faucets get gummed up and stick as we don't pour beer 8 hrs/day like bars do. It's not uncommon for bar owners to have to squirt water into their 'regular' taps at the start of the shift to get them unstuck. That problem doesn't exist with these taps. I've been using them since 2005 and they're fantastic. Stainless as well.

I'm also be adding two stout faucets:

These are also stainless. Stout faucets, by the nature of their design, are already 'forward sealing' so sticking shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't like the plastic spouts so they were replaced with stainless:

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7R7YK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000F7R7YK&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=6Z3UVRXITG5BRF63

These faucets will be used to serve something that mimics somewhat flat english style beer. Think Boddingtons or an ESB with a nice creamy head, or of course, Guinness. You basically keg the beer flat and then push with a 75/25 blend of Nitrogen/CO2 (called beer gas) instead of only CO2. The 75/25 blend has so little CO2 that it doesn't carbonate the beer over time (which is what we want). The beer will only have the residual carbonation in it from fermentation, but pushing it through the restrictor plate in the stout faucet knocks out most of the remaining CO2 and gives the beer a nice creamy (Guinness style) head and next to no carbonic bite. I will need new stout faucets and a regulator + tank (not yet ordered - I can get them locally).

In front of the tower will sit this drip tray with glass rinser:

Beer pours better in a wet glass and the rinser is also great when someone wants to sample 2-3 beers. You can rinse in between. The added bonus is that the rinser cleans out the drip tray. On my old setup I'd have to get out the brush and scrub the dried beer build-up out of the drip tray once every few weeks. By having a rinser it's easy to clean and will likely happen just by the fact of using it.

The tower is less than 15 feet from the serving keezer so 1/4" ID beer lines are more than adequate. 1/4" ID beer line is good to about 50' so for home use it'll be rare that anyone needs larger diameter beer line. The smaller diameter line the better, as then chilling it is easier too. A trunk line (ie: a bundle of product + 2 glycol lines) like this is going to be used:

In my previous setup I used BevSeal product line and made my own trunk line with 4 beer lines and 2 copper glycol lines. That was somewhat of a pain to make and then wrap with pipe insulation. It worked, but the result wasn't pretty. Given all the time and labour required, this time around I want to go with the 'professional' solution already wrapped up and properly protected. The cost is not that much more.

Speaking of glycol, I don't actually use it - I'll use the same stuff as on my old bar setup which is RV/cottage antifreeze. It's a liquid that you're supposed to pour into your toilets in the RV or cottage for the winter to stop them from freezing. It's drain safe.

My total run is under 15 feet so a small 1.5 gallon Rubbermaid Cereal Keeper container in the serving keezer with a simple little pond pump will be used to recirculate 24/7.

The keezer set to just above freezing doesn't actually chill the antifreeze enough so a 50' loop of 3/8" ID copper refrigeration tubing will be placed in a freezer that's well below freezing to allow it to chill adequately as it recirculates. This is the same freezer that I'll be using to store hops and yeast. It'll a small 5.5 cu.ft. black Danby chest freezer that will be set to run at about 0F. The result is a beer that pours at about 38-40F, my preference for serving temperature.

This is the pond pump that I used before on my previous setup and will continue to use:

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002N8GS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00002N8GS

Here's the copper tubing:

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GON8S6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000GON8S6&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

Since my line length is only 15' I don't need a massively powerful pond pump. The one above worked fine before with a similar length of 1/4" glycol line plus about 20 feet of copper coil in the freezer. This time I'm going to use bigger 3/8" line and 50 feet of coil so there should be even less restriction. The pump ran for 5+ years straight, 24 hours/day, 365 days a year. That's what they're meant to do. No issues.

To get the antifreeze to and from this freezer, the glycol tubes in the main trunk are cut and spliced to a second line with only the glycol shooting off to a freezer. So I ordered 10 feet of this glycol only trunk line:

Normally bars would use a glycol power pack like this to both chill and pump the glycol:

In my case, the distance between the taps and the kegs was designed to be as short as possible, only about 10-15 feet (one of the design goals of the basement) so a "real" glycol chiller isn't required. I wanted to avoid using a real glycol chiller because:

- They're loud
- They run hot
- They use a lot of power
- They're expensive (around $1000 instead of $40-$100 for a pond pump)

In my case, with a short run I'll be able to use a simple $50 pond pump to push glycol through a 3/8" ID copper coil in the freezer. This is what I did in the old bar setup and it worked very well. So well in fact that in humid months condensation would form on the taps:

More pictures and information on the bar serving setup later in this thread here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=295672#295672

-----------

Note: Ordering the products listed above (or any other product) using our links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:38 pm; edited 38 times in total
kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, we get to see what all of those Amazon links are paying for.

I'm kidding! Very Happy

Looks awesome!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
Looks so sweet!

Need any new friends? Wink

You can never have too many friends!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellzey wrote:
Finally, we get to see what all of those Amazon links are paying for.

I'm kidding! Very Happy

You laugh but it's partially true: I promise that every red cent we earn through the support that people give us by using our links is 100% funnelled back into beer goodness.

So for every dollar you spend using our links (at no additional cost to you), think of it as an investment on the next set of instructions I create, to show you what you should be buying next! (Don't tell your wives). Wink

Well I'm off to bed. It's going to be noisy day tomorrow (I work from home). They break concrete in the basement for the new bathroom layout.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass rinser. Sick. I would love to have one of those as well. I wish we had basements in California, all us guys get are garages. Sadly I have neither!

Looking forward to reading this thread as it develops!

wubears71

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really suck!!!!! I'm so jealous of your entire basement as it will have everything I want except for a wood working shop.

I cannot wait to see the final product. Having that extra space will be so nice. The tanks/conicals will be a nice addition.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new house and the new expansion... You won't know what to do with all that room in your brewery! Looked like the last one was quite cramped. I like that movie that is showing in the theater...
View user's photo album (10 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but are you going to be getting a keg droid?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/kegdroid-beer-xoom-tablet-nfc/
benoitbo

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow Kal right on time. I will soon be starting my bar (as soon as I get the brewery done.. yea I know taking forever) but the basement is in the plan as well. I already have bunch of material laying in the basement waiting for my time.. I also work from home but odd hours and long shift.. (Joy of managing Outsourcing..) so I end up never having time to work on the build .. Your basement is really sick Beside the Monster Lounge and the awesome home theater. The Windows between the Bar and the Brewhouse is going to be spectacular. Since I`ve used your links for all my build and live only 3 hours from you, I`m looking forward to sip a beer at your bar and have a long chat on how amazing this whole adventure is.

I'll be looking forward to learn more on your Glycol system and having both CO2 and Nitrogene. I'm probably going to try to clone your bar Smile I also wanted exactly 8 taps.. Coincidence?

btw, what tool did you used for your 3D modeling? pretty neat.

Cheers

Ben

Control Panel Ready, Kettles Ready, Pumps Ready. First Dry Run. Working on the Hood and fermentation Chamber.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benoitbo wrote:
The Windows between the Bar and the Brewhouse is going to be spectacular.

I really liked that idea too. It was the designer's idea. I wouldn't have thought of it myself. It'll give it a bit of a brew pub feel, possibly with dimmable spot lights on the kettles.

Quote:
btw, what tool did you used for your 3D modeling? pretty neat.

The floor plans were created by the design/build company doing the work. They use Chief Architect (http://www.chiefarchitect.com/). It's expensive, around $2000 so not something a typical home owner would be themselves.. We spent a lot of time talking/designing and they did the layout and I reviewed using the free viewer that I could download. It took a bunch of iterations to get to where we are today. That said, there will still be (hopefully only) slight changes as the build progresses and they run up against things.

If I was designing myself I'd probably use Google Sketchup (free).

When I did my brewery floorplan and elevated view I used a pencil and grid paper and little cutouts for table/shelves to do things to scale. Call me old fashioned. Wink

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:45 am; edited 3 times in total
randbrewer1010

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice plans Kal. I was just going to ask how you did them. I have been using Sketchup to design some things. It is a nice tool, a little fiddly at times.
KES

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...When do we get our invitations to the grand opening party?! Wink
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:
So...When do we get our invitations to the grand opening party?! Wink

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YES!!!!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit early. Wink

You guys can come and help shovel out the chunks of cement floor they're currently jackhammering out directly below my office. Had to dig out my earplugs.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete removed today for the shower and toilet plumbing. The existing toilet drain in the pictures is being moved to the right to make room for a urinal.

The shower will be walk-in (flush with the regular bathroom tiled floor, no lip at all) with a linear drain, hence the reason the concrete floor needed to be broken and re-poured for entire shower area to be lower.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:05 am; edited 3 times in total
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking plans, and thanks for posting. My mental plans have gone through many iterations, and will probably go through a few more, but hopefully I'll be building out this year. At one point I had the glass window into the brewery idea. That was set aside when I realized I wanted a walk-in cooler, however, and at first that was going to be located between the brewery and the lounge/bar area. Now the brewery may get moved to a corner so we can fit an extra room, but the walk-in may end up being even bigger in a different area. No glycol needed in my current thinking--taps will be on the outside wall of the walk-in.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"right to make room for a urinal." oh bless your heart - I would LOVE to have a urinal when I finally build a mancave!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
At one point I had the glass window into the brewery idea. That was set aside when I realized I wanted a walk-in cooler, however, and at first that was going to be located between the brewery and the lounge/bar area.

Yup, the windows make it a bit hard since you can't use any high things (like fridges) backing against them in the brewery. No point in having windows if all you're going to see is a fridge evaporation coils. So I'm kind of stuck to using keezers or low bar fridges or similar.

I'd love to have something like this 5-keg back bar stainless commercial fridge but that's likely not to happen in this lifetime:

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26
Jump to: